Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #1

Towing a Vehicle

Everyone seems to think towing 4 down is better than trailering a vehicle but beyond the inconvenience of the trailer are there really any other advantages to going 4 down?
sbryant1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #2

Nope!
Old 02-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #3

nope. Couple more axles to maintain and tires to watch but saves your vehicle so ?? Trade off ?
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #4

Your motor home might have a limited towing capacity. A trailer could put it over it's tow rating. Trailering has the advantage of allowing anyone to back up out of a tight spot. No braking system needed on the toad. Any vehicle can be trailered, but some can't be towed four down. As you said, the only disadvantage of a trailer "might" be a problem when you unload and might get you over the tow rating of the coach.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbryant1776 View Post
Everyone seems to think towing 4 down is better than trailering a vehicle but beyond the inconvenience of the trailer are there really any other advantages to going 4 down?
sbryant,
Well, as usual, lots of opinions. We've been towing four-down for well over 35 years and, the amount of times I've actually needed to back up when hooked up, I can count on less than one hand. And, even in those cases, I was disconnected, situation corrected, and re-connected in less than five minutes. So, for me/us, the fact that you have limited to no back-up capabilities is not in the picture. Second, there's the expense of a trailer. The initial cost and, whatever kind of tire wear, bearings, brakes and more are all factors. And then there's the storage at home, if you have a home that is. Lots of folks don't even store their coaches at their residence.

Finally, there's the issue of what to do with that trailer when you arrive at a campground or RV park and they DON'T HAVE ROOM for that trailer. Yes, some on here have stated they don't have that kind of problem but, the fact is, it exists. Just how much, not sure. I know I'll NEVER have to deal with it. So, in my opinion, for whatever it's worth, there's a few factors that make flat towing more valuable than trailer towing.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Just wait until you have to go out in the cold rain, put a vehicle on a trailer and tie it down
Old 02-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Just wait until you have to go out in the cold rain, put a vehicle on a trailer and tie it down

I agree that'll suck. I'll have to wear, like, a poncho or something.
WyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #8

I have one car that can be towed 4 down, and two that can't. Those two can be dolly towed, but the one that can be towed 4 down can not. I also plan on buying a rzr or similar, that will have to be towed on a trailer.

Seems to make sense to just get one trailer and tow which ever vehicle I want to take along. So I bought an Aluma aluminum car hauler. It has brakes, and I can back it up.
WyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #9

...4 additional brakes as opposed to the 2 on a dolly....
Old 02-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyCamper View Post
Seems to make sense to just get one trailer and tow which ever vehicle I want to take along. So I bought an Aluma aluminum car hauler. It has brakes, and I can back it up.
And that, in my mind, is the beauty of a trailer.

We have been "toading" for about 20 years, and towing other things for a lot longer than that. I prefer 4 down because of the relative simplicity. We also have a dolly that offers some of the versatility of a trailer, but has for the most part been relegated to retrieving broken vehicles.

While not nearly as easy as backing a trailer, especially for a long distance, I have backed our toad numerous times for a few feet at a gas station. I have also backed it for longer distances with my wife steering the toad. I don't think I would try more than a few feet, which I have done, with the loaded dolly.

While not nearly as versatile as a trailer, my reason for preferring 4 down is simplicity.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Finding some place to put our tow dolly was an issue a few times. I don't know where we'd have put a trailer most of the time.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #12

Thanks

Thanks for everyone’s responses, I appreciate the input.
sbryant1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Finding some place to put our tow dolly was an issue a few times. I don't know where we'd have put a trailer most of the time.
If staying in one location for long period of time perhaps you can rent a dolly.

Tags
tow, towing