Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Towing a vehicle behind a class B?

I've been researching what type of vehicle can be towed with all four wheels on the ground behind a class B motor home.

My questions are is a manual or automatic tranny make any difference these days? Problems? Suggestions?

What are the best vehicles in your opinion to tow and what make and model ?

Swalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
National RV Owners Club
I have been toeing a 1995 Saturn S-L2 every sense I bought it new in 1995.
It has 31,000 miles on the speed meter and I had toed it another 81,000 miles and it's being toed on all four.
I woud not have any other toe car.
Look around you may fine one.
Just a thought.

Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
I have towed several vehicles behind my 40ft deisel pusher and tow weight was never an issue, however since I downsized, dingy weight became important. Lighter is better, I have two vehcles rigged for towing, A Malibu Max and a Smart Car. The Malibu weighs about 3400lbs and the Smarty about 1850 lbs. I have a B+ Leisure Van Libero with a Chev 6L V8. The GVWR is 12800lbs and the Combined Weight Rating is 16000 lbs. Class3 hitch has 5000lb rating. So I could theoretically tow 3200 lbs to be within specs, nonetheless I gave the Malibu a test to see how it would handle even though it was 200lbs overweight. The RV could pull it OK but I could really feel the drag. The Smart car posed no problem and is legal. So when I take a car, I only take Smarty. I use a Ready Brake, for addiktional.safety, even though I can stop within legal distance without it on when Smarty is in tow.

Bottom line - make certain whatever you get meets combined weight spec but lighter is better from an RV performance perspective.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The biggest limitation will be the weight of the TOAD. You didn't mention what your Class B could handle. Hopefully it is at least 3,500 lbs, but look it up in the documentation.
2002 35R Southwind, W22 8.1L Vortec UltraPower, 19.5' wheels
Toad: Wrangler, lifted and on 35" tires
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
You need to locate the sticker in a closet or cabinet and pay attention to the numbers listed. GCWR: Gross Combination Weight Rating - the total weight of the loaded RV and towed vehicle. Your brakes and drive train can't handle more than this combined weight.

As to automatic or manual, today many automatic transmissions can be towed without modification. Check the owner's manual of the vehicle you're interested in. You can also check the Remco site, they have good information.

Store : Remco

Four wheel drive vehicles with a transfer case that can shift to neutral are mostly towable. Most all manual trans. can be towed, with a few exceptions. Again, check owner's manual and/or manufacturer for full information.

You also should check that a baseplate is available for whatever you are looking to buy. Here are two of the better known manufacturers:

Blue Ox Towing Products
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
I tow a Honda CRV thats automatic and light weight
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Way back when I had a 1985 Winnebago LeSharo 4 cyl turbo diesel (57 hp 2.1 L !!!) with 4 on the floor,

Curbside Classic: 1985 Winnebago 23mpg LeSharo Turbo Diesel RV | The Truth About Cars

I hooked my jeep cj-5 behind it and headed out

worked well - just had to take my time !
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Auto or stick makes little difference, except that most (not all) sticks will be towable as-is, while some autos may require lube pumps. But there are many automatics that are towable as-is, so thats not really a factor.

Weight is the key for towing with a smaller coach. As the others have said, you need to learn your coach tow capacity, which will be either a stated tow rating or calculated by subtracting actual coach weight from its GCWR. And, of course, the tow rating of the receiver hitch itself.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #9

Wrangler. 4 down. Xfer case in N, trans in P, lock and go. And then go off-road to see what regular tourists do not.
Just sayin....
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
honda fit 2008 and up automatic can be towed 4 down. 2600 lbs, easy setup with roadmaster base plate.
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
honda fit 2008 and up automatic can be towed 4 down. 2600 lbs, easy setup with roadmaster base plate.
Honda now says the 2007 is towable four down also.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #12
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A Smart Car is only 1840 pounds and is really fun to drive if you don't need more than a 2 seater. They are really roomier inside than you might think. I consider mine more the front half of a car rather than a half sized car.

My 2012 model has a standard transmission with an automatic clutch. Only 2 pedals, so anyone can drive it. It also came with a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty and roadside assistance plan.

I LOVE it!
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Wrangler. 4 down. Xfer case in N, trans in P, lock and go. And then go off-road to see what regular tourists do not.
Just sayin....
Yep!! Behind a 2012 Pleasure way Lexor!!

Trek5 is offline   Reply With Quote