Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I've had several occasions which required a turnaround. One was a road closure due to an accident, others for a variety of reasons. A dolly would be time consuming but managable, a trailer would be impossible unless the vehicle inside could tow it. That could get interesting on a hill.

I was stuck in a traffic jam 3 weeks ago when a motorhome had to disconnect & round up enough help to move the trailer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #16

For those who tow two or four wheels down better disclose the extra miles when you sell it or have a good defense lawyer.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreenacres View Post
For those who tow two or four wheels down better disclose the extra miles when you sell it or have a good defense lawyer.
Never heard of that. Care to expound ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Towing with a dolly

My wife and I are new to the MH but had a fifth wheel before the coach. We recently purchased a Kar Kaddy SS and are very happy with it. It folds and is not an issue on space. It has many features that your average dolly do not have that make it simple to load. It also handles very well.

I say to each his own. Save time with 4 down? Not based on the videos I have seen online but I suppose it is what you are looking to accomplish. It looked to me that if it is 4 down, 2 down, or a trailer they all take time. Pluses and negatives to all options. It is like asking if a tent is better than a coach. In certain situations, yes.

I expect many years of good service from our dolly. By the way, I don't have to worry about trading or buying another tow vehicle based on model. The Kar Kaddy SS will tow anything from full size to compact model vehicles.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Never heard of that. Care to expound ?
A close relative of mine bought a 9 year old car with only 8k on the odometer. Was experiencing expensive repairs the mechanic said the car had alot more miles on it than the odometer showed. He also found evidence of a tow system that was on this car. He reported his findings to the DA and the former owner of the car was convicted of a felony for not disclosing the actual milage the car had. And the car was not operated according to the vehicles manufacturer.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
A close relative of mine bought a 9 year old car with only 8k on the odometer. Was experiencing expensive repairs the mechanic said the car had alot more miles on it than the odometer showed. He also found evidence of a tow system that was on this car. He reported his findings to the DA and the former owner of the car was convicted of a felony for not disclosing the actual milage the car had. And the car was not operated according to the vehicles manufacturer.
Thanks for the reply. It's a first for me. I wonder if the fact that it wasn't operated under the vehicle mfg guidelines made a difference. I've traded two towed vehicles to dealers and they could not have cared less .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #21

Imo put the car on a trailer there's far less problems. Easier to back up , trailer tires, brakes and maintenance are cheaper.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #22

We FT'd for over 2yrs (travelling-not parked) & had a 4down toad. After about 12mo. we found we were hooking-up the toad less & less and found it way more convenient to simply have my wife drive the toad.

The MH (without the toad) was much more maneuverable ...we could park-it on route and easily take the car to some point of interest we would have overlooked had we had the car attached...gas/diesel stations of any kind were no problem...didn't have to worry about dead-end streets or direction mistakes....we could "scout" prospective CG's and sites more effectively...we communicated with walkie-talkies and our average day was usually only 3-4hrs away....heaven knows we could use the "apart time".

I accept that this is almost against the RVers "code", but it worked very well for us and if we were to go FT travelling again.... I would skip the expense of setting-up a car....I would drive what I want.... rather than what could be towed....and if we're just weekend/holiday RVing the "DW drive the toad" route would be a no brainier!

Despite the fact that we were FT and travelled around 10k p/yr....actual travel & towing time couldn't have been more than 5% of our our overall experience.

Just something to think about before you sell a perfectly good car that can't be towed 4down...or you spend $$$ to set-up a 4down toad....or $$$$ on a doily/trailer....why not wait until you're sure you can't live without having your wife beside you 24/7...at least if my wife doesn't like my driving I can always turn-off the walkie!!!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
I've had several occasions which required a turnaround. One was a road closure due to an accident, others for a variety of reasons. A dolly would be time consuming but managable, a trailer would be impossible unless the vehicle inside could tow it. That could get interesting on a hill.

I was stuck in a traffic jam 3 weeks ago when a motorhome had to disconnect & round up enough help to move the trailer.
As my dad always told me, if you are going drive or tow it you better know how to back it up. I have backed up tow dolly's , albeit not very good, but good enough to get out of the spot I was in. I also have backed up 4 wheeled trailers, much more difficult, but it can be done. That being said, We are long term (3 months or more ) at our locations. We usually drive both the mh & the car to our destination. However we are going from NC to AZ next week & we rented a trailer from U-haul. I don't want to go thru the aggravation of storing a car hauler & our cars can't be flat towed or dollied . With out a lot of mods.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Right now we still have a 20ft equipment trailer that we have put the 4Runner on, when we had it, and the fully dressed Harley. It took on average 4 hours to put things on and tie them down. Thom likes to make sure things won't move that aren't supposed to.
Getting rid of the 4Runner and getting the Fiat Abarth that can be 4 down towed will be considerable less time to get ready to go and much more easily movable. Yes Thom has backed up the 40ft RV and the 20ft trailer about a football length. Would I want to be there again for that? Nope.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see people towing 4-down as I do, 2 down (Dolly) and full trailer.. There are advantages to all 3 methods but consider this

You can only safely tow so much

My car (Current) weight in at 2500 pounds
If I add a dolly that's around 1,000 more (I can only pull 4,000 with my rig) so I'm pushing it.. PLUS.. I can not use the towed car's brakes to help stop me (The brakes on the dolly yes, the ones on the car no)

Trailer 1500-2500 pounds and now I'm overweight.

PLUS.. When I unhook, I fold up the tow bars flip them into the latch and stow them on the motor home, No muss, No fuss, No bother.. NO TRAILER TO STOW.

In the park where I am right now there is a class A with an enclosed auto trailer... Sticking out so far behind his RV that it's blocking half a road.. IF this was the busy season he'd be required to park that trailer in trailer storage for so much a night over and above his camping fee.

Now, I mentioned brakes.. With the proper aux braking system, when I "hit the binders" (Apply the brakes) on the motor home, the brakes on the towed will also be applied, with many systems in porportion to the pressure I put on the MH pedal.. THis means shorter stops.. LOTS shorter (one company says up to 30 % shorter) and that can make a BIG difference in a hard stop situtation.. Have towed both ways, (With and w/o brakes) all sorts of vehicle combinations I can can REALLY tell the difference.

Another advantage... Towing 4 down with a top end tow bar you pull up to the MH and you are off a few inches one way or the other, don't matter

Pulling on a trailer or dolly that far off can be a major disaster.

Plus easier to hook up or unhook.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here goes another opinion....

Watch a MH pulling 4 down when it makes a sharp left or right turn. The big advantage is the tow vehicle front wheels turn with the MH and follow the same arc. With a typical trailer you must swing wide as the trailer will curt the turn short. This can be an issue with a large MH.

Towing 4 down does not allow for a single pivot point, backing up is limited and should not be attempted plus the wear and tear on the tow vehicle and the specialized equipment designed for each towed vehicle.

I like the combination of all...a tow dolly that has pivoting wheels that turn with the MH same as a 4 down towing. Steerable Dollys allows for multiple vehicles to be towed, easy turns and can be stored under the MH since they usually only have 40-50 lb tongue weight and are half the length of the vehicle being towed. Vehicles on a tow dolly are about the same length as a vehicle being towed 4 down.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I'd like to hear more, never heard of this.

Edit, posted before I saw your reply, thanks for the info.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lots of good info here, and some amusing anecdotes as well.

Here's my take:

Towing 4 down is easiest in terms of connecting and disconnecting. I can do it in a bit over a minute. I'm already paying insurance, registration, and maintenance on the towed car - I don't need to add the expense of registration and maintenance on yet another vehicle. If I'm forced onto a toll road where I have to pay more than twice the normal tax because of the trailer I can unhook the car and just pay the normal fee for each vehicle - with a trailer or tow dolly you end up paying the higher fee no matter what. Once I get to my destination I can unhook the car and be set up and enjoying life in no time - with a trailer or tow dolly I have to make sure that the RV park allows trailers on site, then I have to unload the car and find somewhere to park the trailer before getting the RV set up in the spot. And, yes - I know at least one RV park that does NOT allow any trailers on site. You have to disconnect your towed vehicle at the front gate, and if you're pulling a trailer or dolly it must be stored in their storage yard across the street for a fee of $20 per day! Finally, your motorhome may be speced to tow the weight of your car, but the added weight of the trailer may put you over the GCWR of your chassis, and/or the tongue weight may put you over the GVWR.

Advantages of towing with a dolly or a trailer: you are not restricted to what vehicle you can tow - if it fits on the trailer or dolly it's good to go. When you buy a new car you don't have to set it up with a base plate and brake system. And you can use the trailer for utility use at home when you need to move bulky items.

I've done both dolly towing and 4-down towing and for me 4-down is the way to go - but you may find a dolly or trailer better.

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing