Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #15

Kenh001. Do you havbe the Blue Ox tow bar, too?
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:44 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, under the title of "Thinks easily fixed" is the question about the height of the tow bar.. Blue Ox and Roadmaster both sell "Drop hitch adapters" (So does Reese for that matter) all the big tow hitch companies have 'em. You can get 'em at U-Haul hitch stores or any RV store or Hitch store, many auto parts stores have 'em too

Some are adjustable

Some are not

You simply put the proper one on and it lines up the tow bar nice and level
Old 03-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is anyone towing an EOS with automatic transmission? The EOS is a very nice looking car, too bad they don't put a diesel in it.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #18

blue ox base plate

Croberts, I have the blue ox base plate using a roadmaster falcon all terrain tow bar. Two of us just finished the install on the beetle and it took us about 20 hours.We both have installed baseplates before on honda crv,chevy s10,jeep grand cherokee and wrangler and this was by far the most difficult for us. We are very particular. It looks great.Just getting access to some of the bolts made it difficult. Ken
Old 03-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #19

Steve and Nancy. Great car get a stick. Its like being a kid again
Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #20

VW Beetle Toad

We tow our 2003 VW Beetle Convertable with a 5 speed manual. We use Blue Ox equipment including baseplate, tow bar and shield. I had originally used the Blue OX brake box however just after a year old it failed due to a compressor issue. I've since installed the SMI Dual system that works much better and is easier to deploy. The car tows real well and with one turn of the key to Acc. it won't track the milles while towed.

I'm really pleased with the car as a toad and my DW really likes having her baby blue car with her when we travel. key note for the gents, when driving the car alone I take her yellow flower out of the dash vase and I put my 1/4" OE wrench - he he he - joke
rickmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #21

I have a 2003 beetle i also was wondering if i can tow it 4 down some say yes others say no.
noramae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #22

Thought I would follow up on this. I went with a Blue Ox tow bar. Put the base plate on the Jetta with my BIL in about 3 hours. Using magnetic lights and a brake buddy. All has worked fine, hooking and unhooking goes pretty well. Just try to make sure to remember everything as I do it. The Jetta does not log any miles when being towed.
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #23

Noramae if it is a stick you can tow it. No on the automatic. Call Blue Ox or Remco
Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe and Pam View Post
We tow a 2008 VW Eos convertible. Of course it is a hard top but still a convertible. When Remco was still in business .
Is Remco out of business?
bigstonebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #25

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh0001 View Post
Croberts, I have the blue ox base plate using a roadmaster falcon all terrain tow bar. Two of us just finished the install on the beetle and it took us about 20 hours.We both have installed baseplates before on honda crv,chevy s10,jeep grand cherokee and wrangler and this was by far the most difficult for us. We are very particular. It looks great.Just getting access to some of the bolts made it difficult. Ken

I am also interested in a 2006 VW convertible I saw at dealer today and my DW loves it and so do it. The dealer says no to towing , but I am still willing to do it with the the Blue OX base plates. and the roadmaster all terrain tow bar. Can you post pic's and do you really need the brake system, i live in GA and mostly travel down to FL for vacation , all flat land no hills. in 2007 Four Winds 32 motorhome with the v10 Ford on f53 chassis. How much does the2006 vw beetle converetible weight? Would like to see pic's thanks.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 02:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh0001 View Post
Joe and Pam, Thank you very much for the extensive research you have done. I am just about finishing the blue ox base plate install[not a real easy job]and am looking forward to many miles of pleasure. The New Beetle is great!! Thanks again, Ken
Re a 2005 new Beetle automatic. I have a tow dolly from Uhaul.....What is a base plate? Thank you
Nancy613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 02:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy613 View Post
Re a 2005 new Beetle automatic. I have a tow dolly from Uhaul.....What is a base plate? Thank you

Not applicable to your automatic which is not towable 4 wheels down, but a base plate is what is installed on the front of a toad to allow it to be flat towed/towed 4 wheels down.
Old 01-01-2024, 04:25 PM   #28

I'm reading these older posts, we are interested in 4 down towing. We need to purchase a used car. The manual transmission options may work for us. Does anyone have knowledge of 4 down for our 2009 Tacoma as an other option?
Dick Pe is offline   Reply With Quote