Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #1

Has anyone ever towed a VW Beetle? My DW is looking at a 2006 VW Convertible with a 5 speed manual transmission. Would there be a problem with the height of the tow bar or with it being a convertible? Your thoughts are appreciated.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #2

Has anyone ever towed a VW Beetle? My DW is looking at a 2006 VW Convertible with a 5 speed manual transmission. Would there be a problem with the height of the tow bar or with it being a convertible? Your thoughts are appreciated.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meandering Retiree:
Has anyone ever towed a VW Beetle? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Welcome to iRV2 Meandering Retiree.

Back in January a couple arrived at a campsite near us towing a 1972 Beetle! He claimed he had no unusual problems towing it behind his MH.

Boy, did it sound sweet, too! Just like our old 1964 Beetle.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meandering Retiree:
Has anyone ever towed a VW Beetle? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Welcome to iRV2 Meandering Retiree.

Back in January a couple arrived at a campsite near us towing a 1972 Beetle! He claimed he had no unusual problems towing it behind his MH.

Boy, did it sound sweet, too! Just like our old 1964 Beetle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also own a 1972 Beetle. Be aware that it is a completely different car than a 2006 Beetle. Front wheel drive, water cooled, front engine vs. Rear wheel drive, air cooled rear engine. The old air cooled rear engine Beetle is definitely towable 4 down. I don't know about the new Beetle. It's not listed in the 2008 Dinghy Towing guide, nor does Remco list any kits for it.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #5

Smile vw towing

I recently purchased a 2008 vw beetle 5 speed to tow behind my rv.I have seen others towed. I contacted remco and inquired about a lube pump and their website states on the 5 speed ,it is towable as is. Even though it is not listed on motorhome mag towables,I believe it is.I also ordered a blue ox base plate from rv upgrades.If anyone else is towing a new beetle, please reply. Thanks,Ken
Old 03-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #6

We tow a 2008 VW Eos convertible. Of course it is a hard top but still a convertible. When Remco was still in business I talked with them and one of their engineers said all VW and Audi stick shift cars were towable. VW does not recommend it because they have never have tested them for towing. My wife was afraid we would ruin the car so we spent considerable time trying to get an answer as to why it could not be towed..After about 5 dealers and several general managers and shop foreman we met a factory rep.. Everybody said no but could not give me a reason why. It so happens that the factory rep knew a drive line engineer. The engineer said there was no problem towing the car. I was concerned about lubrication of the trans-axle. It seems the drive wheels provide the oil bath to lube the whole thing. I have an interest in VW towing and have seen several bugs being towed 4 down and I always try and talk with them and see how they are doing.
Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #7

I am considering towing a 99 Jetta, manual trans. I called the service department of my dealer and he told me he didn;t see any reason why it couldn't be towed.
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #8

Your dealer is probably correct. Vw will so no. I think there was a thread a while back about towing a Jetta. Good luck. I know it will work out for you.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
M Retiree--

You can always do what a guy told me in a gas station-- towing a automatic Honda.

He's done it for years. Just start the VW engine and let it run in idle all day ,
Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #10

Joe and Pam, Thank you very much for the extensive research you have done. I am just about finishing the blue ox base plate install[not a real easy job]and am looking forward to many miles of pleasure. The New Beetle is great!! Thanks again, Ken
Old 03-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #11

Kenh001 - wondering if you went with the Blue Ox Tow bar or the remco one. I am considering the Remco, but wasn't sure about it.
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #12

Croberts, I went with the blue ox baselpate. Have been installing it for 2 days not and still not quite finished.I estimate about another 2 hours to finish. Not a real easy install. Ken
Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #13

I checked everywhere we could. Nothing written down. But I am sure they can be towed. The only one that can not be towed is the Touarge because it is all wheel drive. We used the Blue Ox base plate because you don't see hardly anything after you take out the pins,and it was fifty miles closer to Phoenix when we bought the car and gas was really high. Have fun guys. Joe
Old 03-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #14

Ken I looked under the hood one time and said no way am I going to work on this thing. Besides Blue Ox made it for free and gave us a tow bar to boot. Same with the U.S. Gear brake I took out of our XL . I put it in on the Suzuki but on the new Eos no way...... Joe