Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #15

Well they couldn't get the Yukon that we wanted, so we went and looked at Chrysler Products. Came away with a 07 Aspen fully loaded and it was $10,000 less than what GM wanted for a Yukon. Also has a higher towing capacity. It also has a Hemi.
I think it will be OK
Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2007, 04:18 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Don, what's the towing procedure?

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:17 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonMcKay:
Well we were to the GM dealer today and checked out the towing situation on the Yukon.
The Yukon's up to the SLT are towable they will all go into neutral.
The Denalli will require the after market pump on the Transmission, the sales guy wasn't certain whether the pump would change the warranty.

We decided on a 07 Yukon SLT pretty well loaded up, it should be ready next week sometime. We still need to decide on the Tow bar system and a braking system.

Thanks for all of your replies. they were very helpful

Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don, in December I decided to "go for it" and swap my Colorado (just too narrow and it ruined my right knee) for the Taho LTZ with every option but the 2nd row single seats (wanted to be able to carry 5 without the back seats in). DW really likes the GPS. It is very different than the Garmin 2620 we have and doesn't have the digital speedo and several other things on the Garmin - but it has a number of features the Garmin doesn't have that she really enjoys. The XM radio seems very nice (she has it glued to the 40s music and news on XM4 and I'll have to struggle to get my iPod in use - and it has an aux plug for the iPod)and great to play with on the GPS screen, and we have a backup camera that uses the GPS screen when we put the tranny in reverse (handy in Walmart parking lots but I wish it could be used while travelling - GM is very cautious and everytime we start up we have to push the touch screen that has the warning about using while driving) and the 6 CD unit takes a DVD for viewing on the rear screen that comes with much better headsets than the one we had on a Silhoutte van. We got the electric flip 2nd row seats, rear parking assist, rear electric tailgate, adjustable pedals, rain sense wipers, heated wiper fluid system, 20 inch polished aluminum wheels - and her favorite color - white (DW claims that is the only color she can really see

I've now ordered my new BlueOx baseplates and they should be here next week - $336 at RVupgrades (I have the Aventa II tow bar that is good to 10,000 lbs). Also ordered a rear light bar - $83 - that goes in the Tahoe receiver with the wires running underneath to the front to connect to the MH. If we get another towable vehicle [may swap DW's 06 Equinox [also white ] for something similar in size that is white and towable and then we use the light bar on both of them by simply getting another wiring kit. Also ordered the locking pins for the baseplates (wanted to get them for the Colorado but they would not fit due to a lack of room - hope they work on the Tahoe given the reports of clowns pulling out the pins - we check ours before pulling away).

I've got a Brake Buddy and it worked well with the Colorado and I assume it will be fine for the Tahoe.

Only negative with the Tahoe is lack of a 5 or 6 speed transmission and high fuel consumption. We are getting 13 mpg around town and got 19+ on the way back to Florida in December. I had resigned myself to the fact I was buying a gas guzzler so it no longer bothers me

By the way, BlueOx says that baseplate installation should take an hour. My son is going to install them for me later in Feb and do the wiring for the light bar and Brake Buddy break away connection.

Keep us posted on your progress with baseplates, lights, etc. Hope it all goes well. I think you are going to enjoy the Yukon as much as we are enjoying the Tahoe (given they are identical vehicles with only some cosmetic differences).

Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The install takes about 3 hours for everything, atleast that's what it took us for our 2004 Yukon XL. I just did my 07 Silverado and it took me 2 hours by myself. It was a bit easier, just be ready to ream some holes!!
Old 02-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The install takes about 3 hours for everything, atleast that's what it took us for our 2004 Yukon XL. I just did my 07 Silverado and it took me 2 hours by myself. It was a bit easier, just be ready to ream some holes!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting - the BlueOx site says 2 hours to install yours (BX1651) and 1 hour to install mine (BX1668). Since you were able to do it in 2 hours hopefully we can do ours in close to 1.

Thanks for the info.

Don
Old 02-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #19

The Chrysler has a neutral in the transfer case so is fully towable. I have been trying to find tow plates and tow bars. It looks like about a week to get the plates in, then just have to get them installed.
Don
Old 02-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Camping Dutchman:

The install takes about 3 hours for everything, atleast that's what it took us for our 2004 Yukon XL. I just did my 07 Silverado and it took me 2 hours by myself. It was a bit easier, just be ready to ream some holes!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the installation was a bit of a nightmare. We could not get the baseplates in the frame rails without forcing the fascia upwards. When we called BlueOx they eventually came back and said to pull the fascia outwards and it would slide down over the baseplates. Well, that would not work at all. We ended up having to cut out a piece of the fascia in the area at the top back of the opening for the tow hooks. Of course, now the tow hook shields cannot be reinstalled.

When we looked at the Roadmaster baseplate diagrams it appeared to us that RMs plates were angled down more than the BluxOx plates to avoid this problem. The tow hooks themselves go down, make a bend and go straight out - the BO plates are straight.

Also a bit unhappy with the light bar. The receiver portion is not long enough to go into the receiver on the Tahoe without scratching the bumper. Their solution - buy their receiver extension - for more than the cost of the light bar. What puzzles me is why I want or need an extension that will handle 10,000 lbs when all I need is something to support 10 lbs???

BlueOx's reputation certainly went down in our eyes. If there is a next time we will also have to look at RM, Demco and others.

Don
Old 02-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #21

I have been towing a suburban for 4 years and it is so easy! You do need a 4WD I just switched to the 2007 suburban and had to get a new tow bar reciever. All four down is the safest way to go! I have a demco towbarand have had it for 10 years and they are a great company to deal with. I sent it back to be serviced and they only charged me shipping. They are awesome to deal with! I will buy mynexttow bar from themfor sure!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by betsy51556:
I have been towing a suburban for 4 years and it is so easy! You do need a 4WD I just switched to the 2007 suburban and had to get a new tow bar reciever. All four down is the safest way to go! I have a demco towbarand have had it for 10 years and they are a great company to deal with. I sent it back to be serviced and they only charged me shipping. They are awesome to deal with! I will buy mynexttow bar from themfor sure! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you had the tow bar receiver and frame on your GB Landau strengthened to tow 6000 lbs plus? My understanding from the Landau specs is that the receiver is rated for 5000 lbs.

Don