Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #1

Well we need to find something to tow behind our motor home. We have been ford fans for years and went to the local ford dealer to get a new Expedition, I asked about towing it behind the motor home and they said no way that we would have to trailer it. So I checked out on here what could be towed and the next choice would be a Yukon or a Suburban.
Being new to towing vehicles it was usually the truck towing the trailer.
What would be the best towing setup for the Yukon.
Our motor home is an 06 Encore 38' with a 350hp Cat diesel on a Frieghtliner chassis.
Thanks for all your replies.
Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #2

Well we need to find something to tow behind our motor home. We have been ford fans for years and went to the local ford dealer to get a new Expedition, I asked about towing it behind the motor home and they said no way that we would have to trailer it. So I checked out on here what could be towed and the next choice would be a Yukon or a Suburban.
Being new to towing vehicles it was usually the truck towing the trailer.
What would be the best towing setup for the Yukon.
Our motor home is an 06 Encore 38' with a 350hp Cat diesel on a Frieghtliner chassis.
Thanks for all your replies.
Don

Old 01-31-2007, 01:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Don,
Welcome to iRV2. There are three ways to tow a vehicle:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Trailer
<LI>Dolly
<LI>Four Wheels On The Ground (4 down)[/list]From your OP, trailering has been rejected. I don't know of a dolly that will carry the weight of the vehicles being considered. 4 Down is what is left.

Determine which of the models can be towed 4 down with or without a transmission lube pump or drive shaft disconnect. Information on this can be found at Remco

For tow bars and base plates there are several players in the market. Some of the big players are:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Blue Ox
<LI>Roadmaster
<LI>Demco[/list]
For me, I purchase a vehicle for its stand alone value to meet my needs. I accept its towing requirements and adapt accordingly. This is why, in my signature, one can see I tow with both a dolly and 4 down. It all depends on which vehicle is needed for the trip.

Your vehicle will need a braking system. This allows the toad brakes to help the coach brakes. Based on the weight of the vehicle it may be required by state/province law. An example of a toad braking system is:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>US Gear
<LI>Brake Buddy
<LI>SMI[/list]
One last product to consider is a tire monitoring device. Modern vehicles tow so well that even with a backup camera, if something happens to a toad tire, quite a bit of damage can be caused before the pilot notices the problem and is able to stop. There are several companies that make these devices. An example is Pressure Pro

Once you feel comfortable with the vehicle and which model you will purchase, consider finding dealerships that sell the products mentioned in this post. Visit the dealership(s) and have the products demonstrated, as you would use it. The demonstration should include you doing the tasks being demonstrated. Any vehicle will do for the demonstration. I recommend you try the demonstration because of the:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>weight of the products
<LI>completity of tasks
<LI>number of tasks
<LI>duration of the tasks[/list]some find cumbersome with one product over another product. By the time you make your purchase and complete the installations, you will feel like a pro before you have your first towing experience.

All the above mentioned products can be confusing. When you visit the dealers and try these products determine what is best for you. All of them work and work well. Which you choose is personal preference based on how well you are able to interact with each product.

My recommendation is for you to have the products professionally installed. I make the recommendation because when towing there are considerable safety, $s, and liability issues that can ruin and RVing experience.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:28 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Don, I tow a 2004 Yukon XL 4 down. Mine is AWD, but the newer ones are 4WD and towable.

2WD is not towable 4 down without after market modification.

Before buying, LOOK for yourself in the owners manual to verify that it's towable. The towing procedure will be spelled out if it's towable.

In my case the only thing I have to do is put the transfer case in neutral by pressing 2 buttons for 10 seconds and the red neutral light comes on. The steering wheel does not lock anymore, so that is not an issue.

I have a Blue Ox baseplate with safety cables wrapped around the GMC's frame, Blue Ox Adventa II towbar, 10,000# safety cables, and a Brake Buddy Vantage.

I've towed about 5,000 mile so far with no problems.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:48 AM   #5

We just sold our 04 Yukon Xl and now tow a 07 2500 pick up. The install was easy for the base plate on both and we run a Apollo brake unit and Aventa II bar all from blue ox. We did the extra bulb kit, I don't like the diode idea, I like a separate system, easier to trouble shoot.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:15 PM   #6

Be very careful with the Yukon. When I got the Tahoe my son suggested the Yukon because it has a 6 speed transmission available (which I think is needed in the Tahoe as well). Only problem is that the 6 sp comes with the 6 litre engine and AWD and is not towable.

Also, a dolly is no good for AWD as the rear wheels cannot be on the ground so AWD is either towed on a trailer or you add a lub pump if that will do the job (and the warranty is void of course).
Old 02-01-2007, 03:33 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Don, have you verified that the new Yukon AWD is not towable?

My 2004 Yukon AWD is towable, and Motorhome magazine's list of towable vehicles does not include mine as towable.

That is why I recommeded that you read the owners manual to verify towability.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:58 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
Don, have you verified that the new Yukon AWD is not towable?

My 2004 Yukon AWD is towable, and Motorhome magazine's list of towable vehicles does not include mine as towable.

That is why I recommeded that you read the owners manual to verify towability. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dirk, I believe (from the GM website) that the Escalade and the AWD Denali have the same Hydra-Matic 6L80 6 speed transmission. The Escalade is not towable 4 down so I would be extremely surprised if the Denali was towable.

If this 6 speed proliferates within the Tahoe/Yukon line I sure hope they recognize why many of us buy them - so we can tow.

This can get confusing. My 07 Tahoe is also AWD. That is, I've got a 2wd, 4wd hi and low and an AWD setting. But I also have a neutral which makes it towable.

Don

(one definitely has to check the manual and before I bought the Tahoe I had the dealer check and I downloaded the manual from the GM website)

Mind you, checking the original manual for the Lincoln Mk X and Edge was providing one with the wrong answer.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:04 AM   #9

I agree, AWD Escalades up to '06 can be towed providing you have a Remco pump installed. The '07 AWD six speed can not as the Remco pump does not work at this time on it.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:56 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
I agree, AWD Escalades up to '06 can be towed providing you have a Remco pump installed. The '07 AWD six speed can not as the Remco pump does not work at this time on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lug, I have to say I don't use the term "towable" if it can't be towed 4 down stock. Adding a lub pump is not exactly stock IMV. I certainly have heard positive reports on Remco but from what I've seen the replacement warranty is not exactly the length and strength of the original. In the past I decided it had to be towable stock or I would not buy it.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It sounds like things have changed with Yukon AWD.

We shouldn't be surprised, but this reinforces the need to research your potential toad well.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #12

Well we were to the GM dealer today and checked out the towing situation on the Yukon.
The Yukon's up to the SLT are towable they will all go into neutral.
The Denalli will require the after market pump on the Transmission, the sales guy wasn't certain whether the pump would change the warranty.

We decided on a 07 Yukon SLT pretty well loaded up, it should be ready next week sometime. We still need to decide on the Tow bar system and a braking system.

Thanks for all of your replies. they were very helpful

Don
Old 02-02-2007, 03:10 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Now that you mention it, I don't think the 2004 Denali is towable either, but my 2004 SLT is.

Good choice. I really like my Yukon, and it tows well.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonMcKay:
Well we were to the GM dealer today and checked out the towing situation on the Yukon.
The Yukon's up to the SLT are towable they will all go into neutral.
The Denalli will require the after market pump on the Transmission, the sales guy wasn't certain whether the pump would change the warranty.

We decided on a 07 Yukon SLT pretty well loaded up, it should be ready next week sometime. We still need to decide on the Tow bar system and a braking system.

Thanks for all of your replies. they were very helpful

Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don, in December I decided to "go for it" and swap my Colorado (just too narrow and it ruined my right knee) for the Taho LTZ with every option but the 2nd row single seats (wanted to be able to carry 5 without the back seats in). DW really likes the GPS. It is very different than the Garmin 2620 we have and doesn't have the digital speedo and several other things on the Garmin - but it has a number of features the Garmin doesn't have that she really enjoys. The XM radio seems very nice (she has it glued to the 40s music and news on XM4 and I'll have to struggle to get my iPod in use - and it has an aux plug for the iPod)and great to play with on the GPS screen, and we have a backup camera that uses the GPS screen when we put the tranny in reverse (handy in Walmart parking lots but I wish it could be used while travelling - GM is very cautious and everytime we start up we have to push the touch screen that has the warning about using while driving) and the 6 CD unit takes a DVD for viewing on the rear screen that comes with much better headsets than the one we had on a Silhoutte van. We got the electric flip 2nd row seats, rear parking assist, rear electric tailgate, adjustable pedals, rain sense wipers, heated wiper fluid system, 20 inch polished aluminum wheels - and her favorite color - white (DW claims that is the only color she can really see

I've now ordered my new BlueOx baseplates and they should be here next week - $336 at RVupgrades (I have the Aventa II tow bar that is good to 10,000 lbs). Also ordered a rear light bar - $83 - that goes in the Tahoe receiver with the wires running underneath to the front to connect to the MH. If we get another towable vehicle [may swap DW's 06 Equinox [also white ] for something similar in size that is white and towable and then we use the light bar on both of them by simply getting another wiring kit. Also ordered the locking pins for the baseplates (wanted to get them for the Colorado but they would not fit due to a lack of room - hope they work on the Tahoe given the reports of clowns pulling out the pins - we check ours before pulling away).

I've got a Brake Buddy and it worked well with the Colorado and I assume it will be fine for the Tahoe.

Only negative with the Tahoe is lack of a 5 or 6 speed transmission and high fuel consumption. We are getting 13 mpg around town and got 19+ on the way back to Florida in December. I had resigned myself to the fact I was buying a gas guzzler so it no longer bothers me

By the way, BlueOx says that baseplate installation should take an hour. My son is going to install them for me later in Feb and do the wiring for the light bar and Brake Buddy break away connection.

Keep us posted on your progress with baseplates, lights, etc. Hope it all goes well. I think you are going to enjoy the Yukon as much as we are enjoying the Tahoe (given they are identical vehicles with only some cosmetic differences).

Don