Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #1

Towing Acadia on a dolly?

OK, I'm probably crazy, but we just bought a new GMC Acadia that I would like to tow on a dolly.

First of all, is anybody else doing this? Experiences?

The wheel straps that came with the dolly fit 16"-17" wheels, the vehicle has 20" wheels. Is that a problem or do I need to find larger straps? Where to buy? Amazon has straps, but they don't specify tire size.

How do you secure the steering wheel while towing.

Yes, I know the Acadia can be towed 4 down, but I have a real problem buying an nice vehicle and then throwing rocks at it all day long. We towed a Jeep GC over 120K miles and the windshield and front end looked like it. Maybe after the new car feeling wears off, I'll dig out the old tow bar and go back to 4 down towing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2018, 07:03 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The question now becomes, can it be towed on a dolly? Some vehicles that can be towed four down can't be dolly towed. Especially if 4 wheel drive.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:22 PM   #3

This is the front wheel drive model with the 3.6L engine, the owner's manual shows both tow methods as acceptable.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
check out towtower.com

this is a good alternative and cost about the same as a dolly and a lot less hassle.

towed with a dolly for 3 years, sold it as you need to park it every time you stop. and have to get a drive thru or muscle the dolly into a spot that maybe you can not monitor it.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:34 PM   #5

We have been pulling 4 down for 5 years and the front looks as good today as it did 5 years ago. We use the Tow Defender and if we are going off road, I may through on the Rock Guard. If we go to Alaska, both will be used.
Just me, but I will never use a dolly To old to be pushing a dolly around finding some place to put it at home or in a park.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...r/RM-4700.html
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...r/RM-4000.html
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:17 AM   #6

I have been towing a car on a dolly for 4 years and 35,000 miles. No steering lock and no issues.

Not sure why it should be secured anyway.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #7

Martin, we have a 2018 Acadia AWD. It cannot be dolly towed according to owners manual so we are 4 down and use Protectatow rock guard.
If you are FWD then it can be. We dollied a caddy SRX FWD with 20s. We bought extra large basket straps and secured the steering with the seat belt. Worked like a charm.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Martin, we have a 2018 Acadia AWD. It cannot be dolly towed according to owners manual so we are 4 down and use Protectatow rock guard.
If you are FWD then it can be. We dollied a caddy SRX FWD with 20s. We bought extra large basket straps Amazon, US Cargo Control and secured the steering with the seat belt. Worked like a charm.
Amazon. The yellow ones are lifting slings that we put through the wheels vs chains around lower control arms.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180224_105137.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	199894
Old 04-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies. I found the blue wheel straps on Amazon and they work fine, we now have about 1,000 miles of experience under our belt with no problems. The receiver hitch ball was too high at first and made it difficult to make the wheel pan tip forward and get the pin installed. I ended up with an 8" drop receiver and it works great. The top of the ball is about 15" from the ground. We haven't found it necessary to tie the steering wheel.

Thanks for the idea about the lifting straps, the safety chains are a real PITA now since I have to crawl under hook them up.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:21 PM   #10

Towing Acadia on a dolly?

Do you remember where you found the lifting slings? Are they 1" or 2" wide and how long are they. I found some but they're expensive $60+ each.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:54 AM   #11

Just a note, I purchased lifting slings as well from Cargo Control (excellent source of wheel straps, etc.). I have since read that they are not legal in many states as the method of securing the vehicle in the event of a primary strap failure. I have not used them for this reason for fear of liability in an accident. There were a few threads on this over the past year or so but you might want to research further prior to using lifting slings rather than chains to make sure you are comfortable with the decision.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #12

Sure, Martin. Amazon, Advantage Rigging Nylon Lifting Sling - Twisted Eye and Eye - 2" x 3' - 2 Ply. 4,960 lbs Basket Hitch Capacity. Waaaay stronger than the chains that come on the dolly.

Tags
dolly, tow, towing