Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #1

Towing Advice

I just purchased a pristine 2000 Dolphin 5373. My first motor home. I'm looking for advice: Tow 4-down or on a dolly?
Dolphinglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
I got a dolly to use with our '05 Dolphin just after we bought the MH. The dolly has its own breaks and lights so all I need to do is drive the Toyota Yaris up on it, lash it down and away we go. If I needed to I could use the dolly with my pickup to tow another vehicle. (Haven't done this yet, but the possibility exists )
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

Boy you're opening a can of worms!! People that like towing 4 down will swear it's the only way to go, no dolly to park, no loading/unloading, faster, etc.
People who love dollys will say it's cheaper than outfitting a vehicle with base plate, brakes, all the rest. A dolly can be used with any front wheel drive vehicle, etc.

Pick your method and ignore the rest. Just pick a method that includes brakes on the toad or dolly.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Bob hit the nail on the head.

We've always towed four down but it was expensive to get set up. It can be done a bit cheaper but it can easily run >$2K to get a toad ready to tow.

Dollys are cheaper but you have the process of loading and unloading which many say is tougher than connecting a four down toad... and finding a place to put the dolly might sometimes be a challenge.

Best of luck.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob and Rick summarize the topic well...

It has been beat to death on this Forum...so use the search function (right side of the top blue box) for hours and hours of light reading.

Click to enlarge:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Search iRV2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	57925

I dolly tow despite owning an entire set-up to flat-tow (it's a long story).
- BUT - which ever way you pick, please consider getting brakes on the set-up. Often not required by law, but smarter and MUCH safer

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #6

I picked up the parts to tow 4 down for about $500.00. Much easier than a dolly. Check Craigslist.

Regards, Howard
Old 03-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamshog View Post
I picked up the parts to tow 4 down for about $500.00. Much easier than a dolly. Check Craigslist.

Regards, Howard
Agree. Bought complete, unused set up of EBay for about $900 plus a new base plate so around $1,200 total.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamshog View Post

Regards, Howard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
Agree. Bought complete, unused set up of EBay for about $900 plus a new base plate so around $1,200 total.
My local Craigslist has 6 dollys for sale, from $450 to $1000. Price isn't the factor that tops 4 down vs. dolly.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. As far as towing we've unused both. First a Dolly and now 4 down. Everyone will have there own opinions. Ii like the 4 down. Quicker to get ready to go, don't have to lay on wet ground if it's raining to secure the auxiliary safety chains under the car or worry about a place to store the dolly if the park your in doesn't allow you to keep it at your site. Some advantages of the dolly is not having to modify the vehicle your towing, plus being able to tow different FWD vehicles if need be. As mentioned you'll get a lot of plus and minus opinions but it's going to boil down to what you really want in the end. Good luck with your decision and enjoy your travels.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #10

I towed with a dolly when I was towing and would go to 4 down if I was to tow again. Now I just rent!! As I got older this became easier!! Keep in mind that if you go 4 down you need to make sure the car or truck you are going to tow can be used to tow 4 down. Good luck and stay safe! Steve

Tags
advice, towing