Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Towing all wheels down

I have a 2015 Fleetwood Discovery and I am in the process of towing a 2011 Ford Taurus AWD wheels down. Is there anything special I need to do other then what it says in the book? Put switch in Acc. mode and gear shift into neutral. Is that all that needs to be done?

Sorry guys, I know I need all the tow bars and chains and brake control box. Just waned to know if there was anything else to do with the car per the owners manual.

thanks
bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #2

I think there is a lot more to it than just that. I would do more research before you try it the way you describe.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #3

It's really quite simple. Just do what the owners manual tells you. That will take care of towing it. Next is the aux braking system you need to have in most states. Pick a system that you like and install it. After that, if you have the proper hitch, safety cables and lights, you're ready to hit the road.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I think you will also need to install a charge line for the ford, it is a #10 or 12 wire run from the coach chassis battery fused to the toad battery fused. There is lots of post with detail info on how on this forum.
Bob I checked the FMCA tow guide and it shows the 2010 and the 2012 Taures AWD and 2 WD towable but it didn't have the 2011, I am pretty sure it is towable but I would double check.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
That's really it Stewbob, I'm sure your 2011 is the same motor and trans as we have in our 09 Flex. We don't have to have a charge line, as when you shut the key off in neutral there is nothing left on. Ford also says to start every 6 hours and shift into reverse and drive, also says 65 mph top speed. You do want you want on that one, but my mechanic could not figure out why it would hurt to go faster than 65 as the turning components are sitting in fluid. I have towed ours over 10,000 miles and only am down to 65mph when on two lane roads. No problems, I do start it and run through the gears anytime I stop while enroute. Randy
Old 12-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Randy our 2011 flex ( we don't tow )and a 2011 Ford Edge we did tow for a while both manuals say to put the key in acc to tow not off, also on the Edge if I towed it on a long trip the battery would be down also the F150 we tow is the same low battery without charge wire. Both Fords we have have a key for start and not the push button start.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbob View Post
I have a 2015 Fleetwood Discovery and I am in the process of towing a 2011 Ford Taurus AWD wheels down. Is there anything special I need to do other then what it says in the book? Put switch in Acc. mode and gear shift into neutral. Is that all that needs to be done?

Sorry guys, I know I need all the tow bars and chains and brake control box. Just waned to know if there was anything else to do with the car per the owners manual.

thanks
bob
I pulled a 2010 SHO for 10K miles before the CRV. Follow the manual and you will be OK. I had to add a charge line from the MH to the car battery because I use a BlueOx Patriot braking system that draws continuos power. This may not be necessary if you are using a different system that does not require 12V supply.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Randy our 2011 flex ( we don't tow )and a 2011 Ford Edge we did tow for a while both manuals say to put the key in acc to tow not off, also on the Edge if I towed it on a long trip the battery would be down also the F150 we tow is the same low battery without charge wire. Both Fords we have have a key for start and not the push button start.
With the key in the acc postion, that would create a draw and run your battery low. I wonder why they say for you to do that? Might be the difference in our years, but I have no drain and no problem with the key shut off as far as it will go while the car is in neutral. Randy
Old 12-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
With the key in the acc postion, that would create a draw and run your battery low. I wonder why they say for you to do that? Might be the difference in our years, but I have no drain and no problem with the key shut off as far as it will go while the car is in neutral. Randy

I believe, the reason it has to be in the ACC position is to unlock the steering.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I believe, the reason it has to be in the ACC position is to unlock the steering.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
That could be it because I believe on those models the key is in the dash and not on the column like mine is.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Randy most of my problem is the brake system I use, Roadmaster Brakemaster it mashes the brake pedal and the toad brake lights up every time I hit the coach brakes I could add a brake relay and bypass this but would have to tap into the brake light switch and that is a pain to get at. All of my Fords and the Kia have a steering wheel lock and require me to. Go to the ACC position, I'm not sure about the Edge it's been to long ago and I have CRS.

Tags
tow, towing