Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Towing an Acadia

I just sold my towdolly that I used to tow my VW GTI and am switching to flat towing. I have a Fleetwood 34 B on a workhorse chassis with an allison fransmission. I have a GMC Acadia that I am thinking of using as the dinghy. the VW is not approved for flat towing the Acadia is. the Acadia weighs about 4700 lbs. I have a 5000 lb hitch on the RV will I be ok with that much weight and will the rig have enough power to pull it. Thanks.

landtrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
I have a 40' Winnebago Tour with a 400 HP Cummins and I tow a 2012 Acadia. I have no problems towing the car and if you have a gas engine, it may slow you down on hills a bit but I wouldn't worry about it. You have to pull 2 fuses which I do, the only problem with pulling the fuses is the clock in the radio/navigation system needs to be reset each time you put the fuses back in. The pre-set radio stations will remain as will the memory for the seat position.

It's a lot of work to take apart the front end to mount the base plate but take your time and it won't be too bad. I ran wires to the tail lights and used diodes to keep power from backing up into the other electrical wires. I also have an air piston that mounts under the seat and to the brake pedal. When I step on the air brake pedal, the piston expands and applies the brakes on the Acadia. In addition, I added a 12 volt hot wire to my plug connection between the coach and the car and attached it to the battery + on the Acadia to make sure the battery stayed charged in the car.

Finally I decided that pulling the fuses was a pain in the rear and I bought some switches that house the fuse then plug into the fuse box, All I have to do is to open the hood and flip 2 switches and it deactivates the fuses. Next time, I'll make the switches myself, there's not much to them but I've already got them so I'll continue to use them. You'll need to stop every 4 to 6 hours and start the car to lubricate everything and you're not suppose to exceed 65 MPH. Aside from that, no big deal

In regard to the hitch, as I've been told, most hitch manufacturers under rate their hitches. Look at the hitch and see how it's attached to the frame to determing if the mounting is sturdy enough.

2010 Winnebago Tour model 40CD soon to be a 2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't help you with the Acadia, but if you have a 22K GVWR WH, it will have a 26K GCWR. This gives you a net of 4K towing capacity if you are at your GVW. Something to consider.
Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
I tow a 2013 Acadia, with a 5k hitch with no issues. It's a great toad, if you buy a taller 50 amp fuse it's easy to pull, the other fuses are easy just have to access those from inside the car. I bought all the wiring to make switches so I didn't have to pull the fuses but decided it wasn't hard at all to just pull them and not alter the stock wiring at all.
2013 Thor ACE 29.2
Harlee79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #5
Complete change of plans. Thanks everyone for their input. A friend of mine was buying a new car and trading in a 2007 Saturn VUE Hybrid so I bought if for good deal and will now tow this vehicle. Only 3600 lbs and should tow easily. any body towing a vue
Old 04-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Complete change of plans. Thanks everyone for their input. A friend of mine was buying a new car and trading in a 2007 Saturn VUE Hybrid so I bought if for good deal and will now tow this vehicle. Only 3600 lbs and should tow easily. any body towing a vue
Old 04-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I looked into this extensively. My Saturn Outlook is the same size and weight as the Acadia, I have the 5,000 towing capability with the coach as you (gasser).

I was around that same weight and talked to Fleetwood about it, no problems towing up to 5,000 lbs, but as previous mention the combined weight of your coach and tow vehicle comes very close to the limits if your coach is loaded up.

My weight is light on the coach, so I have about a ton or so leeway on the combined if and when I do tow, but it is something to be very aware of.

I know several people that love towing their Saturn Vue....you should have no problems with it, just make sure it is towable, like I know there are issues with some all wheel drive vehicles, but I'm not savvy on all that.

I got a price to install the Blue Ox Base Plate, Tow Bar, etc, labor, out the door is 1,650.00 then add a supplemental braking system to that is another 1,000.00 give or take. Their quote to me was 2800 plus tax for the whole setup. That will be down the road when I am no longer tied to a job or a house......

Good Luck! Hope this Helps!

Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote