Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, there will likely be a Chevy version in another year or so. Or when the Envoy/Trail Blazer are discontinued, as will surely happen in a year or two. I suspect that GMC got an exclusive on the Acadia design for a year, but who knows after that? Both the Outlook and the Enclave are different vehicles that share only the same chassis. A Chevy version is more likely to be a re-badged Acadia twin, ala the usual GM practice of sharing models. But who knows? Maybe GM will continue to differentiate completely, as they have done with Acadia/Outlook/Enclave?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #16

Gary, I think it is a question of how you define different. To me they aren't any different than the Montana, Venture and Silhoutte were (and now Montana, Uplander and Rally - and all three are in their final stage of life and will not be continued when the current versions die out). All the same with different skins and slighty different layouts. We had a Montana and a Silhoutte.

I consider the Outlook, Enclave, Acadia and the Chev equivalent to be the same basic vehicles with mainly cosmetic differences with the occasional more signiicant difference.

For example, the Tahoe and Yukon are considered to be basically the same - BUT, the Yukon can be had with a 6 speed. At this time no 6 sp in the Tahoe - but stay tuned for one to come in the not to distant future. Same with the 6L engine.

Don
Old 02-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I consider the Outlook, Enclave, Acadia and the Chev equivalent to be the same basic vehicles with mainly cosmetic differences with the occasional more signiicant difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's hard to argue if you define "same" to be anything that shares the same chassis. If you ignore the body as only a "cosmetic" difference, and treat suspension tuning as minor, then yes they are all the same.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I consider the Outlook, Enclave, Acadia and the Chev equivalent to be the same basic vehicles with mainly cosmetic differences with the occasional more signiicant difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's hard to argue if you define "same" to be anything that shares the same chassis. If you ignore the body as only a "cosmetic" difference, and treat suspension tuning as minor, then yes they are all the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do. They are planned as basic equivalents by GM to start with. Same as Montana, Uplander and Rally. Previously it was Montana and Venture with a slightly upscale version being the Silhoutte. We had a Montana and then a Silhoutte. Not much difference at all.

Lots of this over the years - Crown Vic and Marquis, Sable and Taurus, Escape and Mariner, Explorer and Moutaineer and on and on.

When we have purchased one of these we always looked at the other as basically the same with almost identical options and only slight styling differences.

Kind of like the Knight and Ambassador, Endeavor and Diplomat, Journey and Meridian et al in the RV world.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Ford Edge is is also flat towable. It shares the same engine and transmission as the Acadia and Outlook. The Lincoln version that shares the same basic body is probably also tow able. Having test driven it, it is very comfortable, quiet and lost of power. It weighs in at about 4100 pounds, down about
600-700 from Acadia and Outlook.
As of last Friday, in my phone calls to Blue Ox and Roadmaster no one has yet to get a car so they can make up the baseplate's.
Hopefully, someone close will allow their car to be used to design the baseplate's. Apparently they have received numerous calls, but all are to far away to go to the factory.
Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #20

Marv, a couple of points. I don't think the engines are the same. The Edge has a 3.5L dual overhead cam, 24-valve Duratec 35 V6. The GM series has a 3.6L DOHC, 24 valve V6 VVT. There is no connection between the two engines that I've ever heard mentioned.

Also, the transmissions are both from the joint design project but they are built by each company and they have different specs. GM has built some versions with the ability to handle more torque than the highest rated version currently available from Ford.

What still blows my mind is the reported development cost of $1.4 billion.

Don
Old 02-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

My understanding re the Gm and Ford engines is the same as Don's. And I believe the transmissions are separately manufactured, though I have no idea how different they are (if any different at all).
Old 02-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Brought home the new Acadia today - it's everything we wished for and more! Got the upgraded sound system (Bose) and it is awesome!

I'll be installing the Brakemaster later this week and probably do the lights next week. Now if only Blue Ox or Roadmaster will get busy and find one they can bring into their shop to design the tow brackets, I'll be rearin' to go. I really don't want to have to drive all the way to Pender, NE to help them out!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Congratulations Gary, When you get time, post a photo of the new stuff! Blue Ox should have a base plate out soon.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Mike.

This is a front wheel drive vehicle - you tow 4-down, in neutral with the key in Accessory. I just read (owner manual) that GMC wants me to pull the Ignition fuse when towing - to prevent battery drain. All well and good - I knew that many GM cars require this and ths vehicle has a ton of electronics and a fancy dash display. But the fuse is under the hood! Ykes - what a nuisance! You can bet I'll be adding a switch to that circuit as soon as I can figure out a path to route it back into the cab.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Gary...
I'm doing the "Happy Dance" for you! Congrats.. which color did you get and did you get the Nav/DVD on it too?
Woo-Hoo !!! Happy Happy Happy!!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

We got the Liquid Silver. No, did not go for the DVD or the Nav system - won't be sitting in the back seat watching movies and I've grown real sour on Nav systems. I'll stick to digital maps, thank you.

We've owned 4 different Nav systems over the past several years and none of them have been satisfactory to me. After our Garmin 2620 directed us down a dead end gravel road in the West Virginia mountains one rainy evening and tried to tell us there was a turn there (there was no such road), I sold it in disgust. I have a Magellan system in the coach and it isn't worth much either. If I have to double check everything the Nav system does/says on a map anyway, who needs it?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:17 AM   #27

If getting to the fuse/wiring to install a bypass switch is problematic, consider the T0ad-Charge from the Trick-L people...a little pricey but you can keep the battery charged while underway...

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:34 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I have pretty much decided to go with the Toad Charge (or make something similar). I checked it out and getting a switch on the underhood fuse would be a bear. And even getting the cover off the fuse block is a nuisance.