Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2007, 01:47 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Gary a charge line off the coach should be the ticket to you not having to pull the fuse or install a switch. Good luck and how's the coach doing?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2007, 05:23 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Mike,
Coach is great - and we love the Acadia too. It's been awhile since we had a large and fairly luxurious vehicle and we are wallowing in space and luxury. The Bose sound system is so great I feel like driving around just to listen to the stereo. Can't wait to get on the road in early April so we can really get some use from the coach.

I'm wondering what the Toad Charge box really does. Maybe just a regulator limited to 5A? Or even just a breaker or fuse? I already have a charge line on the coach, feeding the charging pin on the 7 pin Bargman plug at the rear. I'm wondering if I risk overcharging if I just wire that through to the toad battery when towing. If I were towing a trailer, the charge line would be unregulated. I need to check the coach wiring to see if that charge line is fused - they typically are rated for about 10A.

By the way, you asked for a picture of our Acadia. I put one in the Photo Gallery - see 2007 GMC Acadia
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:52 PM   #31

Yes, it is regulated to 5A, but it also includes a diode to prevent current from the toad reaching the coach. Those with electrical expertise can fashion their own device, but for me the solution in a box works well.

Since you already have a 'charge wire' at the rear of your coach, the install of the toad charge should be easy and you won't have to run the 40' of new wire they supply...

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, diesellabs. That's pretty much what I suspected. Like you say, just buying their box is a nice simple solution, so I'll probably end up doing that.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #33

It has worked out well for us with our Journey-CRV combination. The CRV requires the ignition to be in the accessory position for towing, and even with all accessories off the swith energizes one (maybe two) accessory relays. After a day of towing that load did seem to draw down the battery some -- not enough where you couldn't start the engine...but I didn't want to continue that practice. The manual did recommend pulling a fuse to avoid the problem, but that just wasn't going to be practical over the long term (standing on my head under the dash, fat fingers in a tiny fuse box, etc.)
The Toad-Charge gives you the option of installing the lead on the chassis-side of the battery isolator or on the house-side. I chose the house-side. In addition to providing a charge when the Journey's engine is running, if I'm hooked to shore power and the toad is still connected, I'll oontinue to provide a charge. The Toad-Charge unit will automatically shift from "charging" mode to a "maintain" mode (trickle rate charging?) when it senses a no-load/charged battery condition.
Good luck with your implementation.

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:58 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

I ordered a Toad Charge from rvupgrades.com yesterday and it was shipped already, so will get it installed sometime next week.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:13 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary

Have you check with a local trailer hitch installer. Here in the Los Angeles area I know of at least two trailer hitch mfgs that make and install custom base plates for any car.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Most hitch shops no longer do that, because of liability issues. It's a megabuck settlement if something goes awry. However we did find one large, multi-location outfit about 50 miles from here that is willing to do it if they can. They haven't seen an Acadia yet either, but say they can build custom baseplates for Blue Ox towbars for most vehicles. Rentz Hitches is the company and they claim to have insurance for that sort of thing.

But if I'm the first to go to Blue Ox for a fitting on an Acadia, they will give me the base plates and a tow bar, offsetting the cost of the trip to a large extent.

I've worked a deal with Blue Ox. They are shipping a prototype base plate (actually one they built for a Saturn Outlook) to a good hitch shop near me and the shop will see if they can fit it to the Acadia (same chassis as Outlook). Blue Ox techs will provide phone support for the install and Blue Ox has agreed to indemnify the local shop should they manage to get it on and then something goes wrong afterwards. I'll know find out next Thursday if this is going to work.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:09 AM   #37

Wish they would have sent that Outlook base plate to me!!!lol I've been emailing Blue Ox about a base plate for the Outlook for about 2 weeks now and they've been telling me the plates will be avail for purchase late this month. Guess I'll keep waiting!! We just bought our Saturn 10 days ago, and I go to RVDirect in Albany to take delivery of an 07 Hurricane 34B on Wednesday the 14th!! Can't wait to marry the two together and take the maiden voyage. Oh, by the way, new member here and I really enjoy the site so far. And thanks to Jim Hutch for steering towards this websites' direction!

Chris

07 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
ocfd_179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:46 AM   #38

I hope BlueOx does a better job for the Outlook and Acadia than it did for the 07 Tahoe. Their instructions say you don't have to cut anything when in fact we had to cut out a piece of the fascia around the tow hook opening because of the poor shape design of the baseplates. Further, their telephone help was of little or no value and their suggestion that we simply pull the fascia forward and let it drop over the baseplates was dangerous at best.

If there is a next time for us we will also look at other manufacturers products.

We also bought the BlueOx light bar. Its design is slightly faulty. When we put it in the receiver of the Tahoe (which is flush with the back bumper) it rubs on the surface of the bumper. they just missed on their dimensions. Their reply - buy the receiver extension - for more than the cost of the light bar. Sure, that is what I want, their receiver extension to hold 10,000 lbs when all I need is something to hold 10lbs. I bought one elsewhere for $53.

I'd heard so much about the quality of their products (and I will say the baseplates appear strong) and good help line, but that sure hasn't been our experience. If I could roll the clock back two months I'd give Roadmaster a try as it appears that they designed the baseplate properly so one would not have to cut (which means the tow hook black trim piece can't go back in - ever). One simply has to look at the shape of the tow hooks that we removed to see that the BlueOx design missed the boat.

Don
Old 03-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Mediocre fit is one of the problems with a new model (the 07 Yukon is a redesign) - they usually need to refine the base plate design over time to take the details into account. Especially since the vehicles themselves often change somewhat in the first several months of production. I expect to have fascia problems, since the Acadia fascia is different than the Outlook.

If you travel anywhere near Pender, NE, take your Yukon to Blue Ox and show them the flaws. I know a couple people who did that and Blue Ox replaced their base plates with an improved model, right on the spot. Sometimes they already have the fix and sometimes they have to engineer it, so get in touch and let them know you are bringing in a problem child. Anne Van Kirk is the fit coordinator at Blue Ox and she seems to be willing to go the extra mile to accommodate.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:20 PM   #40

Kind of late now as we've had to make the cuts. If we do ever get near them I'm sure going to show them - may take more photos and send.

I was fortunate to have my son do the work and he has parts on the front end of the 07 Tahoe and knows it well having been to the assembly plants. He pointed out the dangers of the BlueOx suggestion of pulling the fascia forward and over - extreme pressure and it wouldn't be much to develop cracks. Also the hood and fascia alignment would be out a at least a half inch.

Don
Old 03-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

I got the prototype base plates installed today - they went on quite well. The spacing where the connection points and safety chain tabs come through the fascia could stand to be relocated a bit for a better look, but no biggie. Functionally its fine and cosmetically it's at least good, so we are quite happy with the results. Not to mention that Blue Ox picked up the tab for the baseplates and install labor and gave us a new Aventa LX tow bar as well.

Way to go, Blue OX!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #42

Congrats Roamer, if you can post some pictures of the finished product when you get a chance.

07 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
ocfd_179 is offline   Reply With Quote