Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
Towing an enclosed trailer

I will soon be towing my enclosed 6 X 12 trailer on a long trip and need help about brakes. The Haul Mark trailer does not have supplemental brakes and I will be pulling it mostly empty both ways. My MH is a 35' Georgetown after all the treads I've read about on toads, I'm not sure if I would be legal pulling this trailer behind my MH. Curb weight is about 1200lbs maybe 200lbs more in cargo so. 1400lbs total.
Question is, would I be legal?
What if I pulled it loaded at 3500lbs?
Thanks for your reply.

Mrcblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Behind a motor home you wouldn't need auxiliary brakes. If you wanted them, almost any trailer shop can install brake hubs to the axle and install a brake controller.

A 6x12 should have a brake axle already. 7 pin plug? Battery mounted on tongue? Wire going to hub from trailer frame? If so, electric brake axle. If not, like I said, local trailer shop can install.

Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #3

Behind a motor home you wouldn't need auxiliary brakes.
Here's the "rest of the story". You're okay up to 3000# is almost every state. Over 3000# does require trailer brakes in most states. Look here:
Trailer Brakes | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
Thanks for the link. It looks like I'll be ok but I am having new tires installed so I'll have them look at what it would cost for brakes. It has a 4 pin flat plug and no battery or brakes.
Even when I fully loaded it it would still be under 2000lbs but it's the piece of mind that I'm looking for. Thanks again.
Mrcblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
I have a 6X12 enclosed, single axle I tow our Harley in. No brakes, and am well under the 3K on weight. Have had zero issues with this set up.

Phil and Rudee
'02 Winnebago Journey, '07 Dakota, '11 HD Ultra
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote