Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
I've had both and I think you will like pulling toad better than pulling trailer and you can make your coffee as you go.Mileage is pretty close to the same on both systems.
Ditto on the convenience factor too. We haul 2 GSD and that would NOT work.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss

Ditto on the convenience factor too. We haul 2 GSD and that would NOT work.
Hey Don!! For us - hauling two GSDs wouldn't work under any circumstance. But Gunny and Thor might be the exception....
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #17

Thank you for the reply, Don. I'm really not that concerned with the mileage, just curious. My greater curiosity is tyke difference from driving a truck and fifth wheel versus driving the coach. I have friends who moved from truck and fifth wheels to coaches, and they tell me they wish they had moved to a coach much sooner. That was a good part of our decision to buy a motorhome. We are changing our routine, now taking more time and stopping more often before our final destination, plus shorter trips around the country in general. We feel the motorhome is a better choice for more frequent, shorter trips to provincial and state parks.
Bruceeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Hey Don!! For us - hauling two GSDs wouldn't work under any circumstance. But Gunny and Thor might be the exception....
HMMMM...better take a head count after we leave the GC? LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bruceeb,
Sorry I missed the question about having the coach or a truck to ride in on my previous post. I've only had motor coaches. Based on our needs, riding in the coach makes much more sense than riding in a truck. The older one gets, the conveniences mentioned earlier become more important.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Bruceeb,

You never stated if the Bounder was a Gas or Diesel. I had a 2003 34M Diesel Bounder for 7 years and pulled a 6000# trailer most of the time. The best I did without the trailer on level roads was 12 mpg but averaged about 10. With the trailer the average was around 8 but I was rarely on level roads. Like others have said the terrain will have a major effect on your mileage.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceeb View Post
My wife and I recently purchased a 2003 Fleetwood Bounder 35 foot, which I have not taken on a trip yet. (Waiting for spring!) I will be towing a 2012 GMC Terrain, four wheels down.
Will my towing/driving experience be similar to what I used to drive, which was a 2003 ¾ ton Chevy Duramax/Allison pulling a 34 foot Carriage Cameo with four slides.
Also what kind of mileage can I expect. I'm guessing around 6 or 7 MPG.
Hey Bruce. I don't think you really got an answer to the main question of the driving experience.

We went from a Ford Expedition pulling a 32-foot bumper-pull travel trailer to our current setup of 40ft motorhome pulling a Chevy Equinox (basically the same as your Terrain). The difference was night and day.

I've never pulled a fifth wheel so can't really give my opinion on that.

Driving the motorhome is a lot more like driving an over-the-road truck than a pickup/SUV. It's a LOT bigger but once you get used to it, I find it much less stressful than pulling the travel trailer. You sit much higher up and get a great view out of the huge window.

You won't even know the toad is there except when you glance in the rear-view camera.

As for fuel consumption, we got around 10MPG with the Expedition combo. With the MH and toad, between 8 & 9 MPG. Really not much different. As has been said before, the biggest influence on fuel consumption is the weight of your right foot.

One BIG point to remember: You should NEVER back up with the toad attached. Even for a few feet.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #22

Toad Mileage

Great to hear that a toad makes virtually no difference to mileage. Was considering a sub-compact so as to keep the weight down, don't think I'll bother now. I'll stick with my first choice of something like a Wrangler.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #23

We went from a GMC 2500HD Diesel pulling a 39' 5er to a 38ft DP pulling a CR-V 4 down and there is no comparison to ride comfort. We wish we would have moved up earlier. We still stop at rest areas but seldom leave the RV except to do a walk-a-round. I get 10 MPG running around 62 MPH.

Have fun in your new motorhome.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
I can guarantee you that pulling your trailer you definitely knew it was back there. With the motor home and Terrain (I tow one), you will not know the car is back there and will have to constantly look at your rear camera to make sure it's still there. There is NO comparison.

Re: mpg.... with both my previous coach (08 36 Safari with 330 CAT) and my current coach (13 Phaeton 42' 400 Cummins), I get about the same mpg....approx 8 to 8.5. Of course, going up the eastern Sierras or over the Cascades, that will drop to 6 or 6.5. I never travel without our Terrain, so can't tell you about mpg without it tagging along behind me....but I bet the difference is insignificant.

The only problem with pulling a toad is that you normally can't back up....so you always have to make sure you have a clear exit whenever you go.

Hope this helps

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 35 ft winnebago on a 2003 ford chassis and have a Equinox as my toad so pretty much same as the OP. I get between 7 and 8 mpg depending on terrain. Got 7 on my last big trip running around CO and Utah, pretty happy with that. Run at 60-62 mph.
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #26

All of you have been inspiring! Our coach is on a W22 gas chassis. I know I won't have the 'grunt" of a DP, but I will get to my destination. The previous owner said he was getting around 8 MPG towing a Saturn sedan. I am more interested in the distance I can travel on a tank of gas, rather than the cost of the trip. I had to make a couple of stops with the Chevy 2500 diesel/34 foot Fiver between Osoyoos B.C. and Cannon Beach Oregon. Looks like maybe one stop with the MH.
Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I really do appreciate it. RVers are GREAT!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:59 AM   #27

I have a W22 as well. While many folks with motorhomes never let their tanks get below 1/2, I usually get about 450-500miles in, which gets me down just below 1/4 on the gauge (ALL gauges are different)

I believe that if the Low Fuel like/beep comes on, you have about 75mi left...although I've never tested that by going dry

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #28

Sounds good to me. All I need now is springtime. Like waiting for the kettle to boil.

Tags
towing