Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2018, 10:25 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Towing at night

there might not be a solution to this but we came back from a trip and had to be driving at night while towing our toad on a 2 wheel dolly. During the day it isn't a problem for my rear view camera because I can see it just fine, however at night I can barely see the toad and only from the reflection of the tail lights on the front of the car. I figured if I saw sparks then I would know something was wrong but is there a way to somehow light up the car without it being a distraction to vehicles coming up from behind? I'm not in a position to replace my system with a infra-red system if they even make such a thing.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2018, 10:34 PM   #2

Hi Rick-

Yes, they *do* make IR cameras for this use. I haven't considered this for my Class C as I don't tow, usually. I'll be following responses to see if there is a better or cheaper way a eventually I'll have a toad.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:02 PM   #3

Rick,
Well, here's a suggestion. With the advent of todays LED lights, I'd bet you could find a set (at least two) of complete RED, LED fixtures, that would be bright enough to add additional light to light up the front of your toad. And, they'd be hidden from any folks following you at night 'cause they'd be in front of the toad. You'd have a subtle light that would light up your toad but, not be too invasive in your monitor on the dash. It would be easy to do 'cause, you could tie into your trailer plug for the lights. They'd mount on a couple of cheap, nice looking brackets and would work, in my opinion, just fine.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Rick,
Well, here's a suggestion. With the advent of todays LED lights, I'd bet you could find a set (at least two) of complete RED, LED fixtures, that would be bright enough to add additional light to light up the front of your toad. And, they'd be hidden from any folks following you at night 'cause they'd be in front of the toad. You'd have a subtle light that would light up your toad but, not be too invasive in your monitor on the dash. It would be easy to do 'cause, you could tie into your trailer plug for the lights. They'd mount on a couple of cheap, nice looking brackets and would work, in my opinion, just fine.
Scott
Even better would be infrared lights. His standard camera will pick them up great while not even being visible to other drivers (except in their dashcams).
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:36 PM   #5

The little leds they put in backup cameras are not very effective beyond 6 ft or so. Think the only way is to put some big, high lumen back up bulbs on your back up lights and run a line to switch them on when driving and check every now and then. Or do what I do, don't drive when it get dark.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have wired my towed like a utility trailer and I am planning to add a couple of 4 light led strips on the luggage rack (front and back) so that I will be able to see the top of my unit in the rear view cameras I have. The light power all will come from the coach and I won't have to remember to turn anything on or off when we stop driving. Turning off the coach lights will kill all the towed lights.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
The little leds they put in backup cameras are not very effective beyond 6 ft or so. Think the only way is to put some big, high lumen back up bulbs on your back up lights and run a line to switch them on when driving and check every now and then. Or do what I do, don't drive when it get dark.
I normally don't drive at night, we were in a situation where we needed to. it was the first time in 3 years we drove at night and it was the first time we realized the issue when I couldn't see the toad at all. I didn't like it but we had no choice.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:14 AM   #8

I agree. Rear cameras suck at night. I got an auxiliary driving light (offroad) while at Quartzsite along with a red lens cover and mounted it high on the bus. Power for it is tapped to a tail light and I got fancy by running it through a LED light sensor switch so the light only works when it's dark out. I think I spent less than $100 for the whole setup, but at least now I don't get a heart attack driving across the desert at night and thinking my toad and I departed company some miles back. I tried adding 2 different IR LED lights, but neither output was enough for the camera to see anything. Waste of money.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #9

I have magnetic lights I put on roof , they light up front & rear , I can see them in monitor
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #10

Turn on the toads dome light

But is it REALLY that big of a deal to 'SEE' the toad?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

A: I avoid night driving , especially in RV
B: I do like to see it back there , yes
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #12

Quote:

YES! Had a friend that saw his toad....passing him on a downhill part of the Alaska Highway. Rear MH hitch, towbar and toad broke loose and after it passed him he watched it hit the trees. Two plus years of hassle to get the insurance claim settled. I want to be able to see that puppy, ALL THE TIME, DAY OR NIGHT.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
A: I avoid night driving , especially in RV
B: I do like to see it back there , yes

want to see vs really needing to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
YES! Had a friend that saw his toad....passing him on a downhill part of the Alaska Highway. Rear MH hitch, towbar and toad broke loose and after it passed him he watched it hit the trees. Two plus years of hassle to get the insurance claim settled. I want to be able to see that puppy, ALL THE TIME, DAY OR NIGHT.

Being able to see it wouldn't have made one bit of difference
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #14

Quote:
want to see vs really needing to see

Being able to see it wouldn't have made one bit of difference
Might have seen it acting squirrely before it broke loose. Any chance is better than none.

Tags
tow, towing