Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Towing auto all wheels on the road...

Have towed three cars one was stick....an sutomatic pt cruser , and a toyota matrix front wheel drive automatic.

I place trans in nuetral and run the engine.....cars run greatI have pulled the Matrix running the engine for over 15,000 miles......get over 900 mpg florida to calgary about 1/2 a tank or gas ...no engine wear no heat no oil loss nothing...:

My question is now I purchased a Scion IQ with CVT trans should I be any more concerned than running the other cars in neutral with the engine running

Anyone out there doing this????? help on the SCION IQ?

kika is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have the manual ? It will usually tell you what to do.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Towing 4 wheels on the ground

Unfortunatly no service folks in auto departments will officially talk beyond their manufactures documents. Lots of liability issues out their for them to contend with and lack of financial funds for testing for a small part of the market that might want to tow.

But talk to mechanics and people that do tow all wheels on the road wih car in neutral and the engine running. You will find good information. But if you are conservative and dont want wont go beyond your book so be it. I have found many that have not done the research and yet seem to know all the dtails as to why you can not. even seniors of this web site and those that have been around.

I have towed many cars automatics in neutral all four wheels on the ground and no problem..but i have done my reserch .and dont think that other options will not exhibit other problems..like oil box 12vote pumps and axle cut offs and tow dollys..etc

Good luck
Old 01-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Kika, I just received the latest update on towables from FMC. The Scion IQ is not listed. Too new at press time, I would guess. Web search turns up nothing as well as IRV2 search. However, the four SCION models listed ALL state with the auto transmission they are not towable! With manual yes. Based on this information personally I would not tow four wheels down.

Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's a crap shoot, kika. Running the engine while towing usually provides adequate lubrication and cooling for the tranny, but there is no guarantee. I couldn't find any reference to another US car using the same CVT, so no useful experience from other vehicles either.

Looks to me as though you will be the guinea pig for this, so please let us know how it works out. I'm sure you already understand that you are gambling with your Scion/Toyota warranty when you do this. Enuff said.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
Thanks Gary and Clayobx the towing of all four on the road with the motor running has always interested me and of course have been successful ..but the truth is I have never towed a my prius a dodge prowler or a viper i use to own.......my Canadian buddies from Quebec were the first to spark my interest as they owned 40 fters..and all owned Crysler
sebing convertables and towed them all running the engine in neutral and no problems from Quebec to Florida........also never had a service manager of the cars i did flat tow automatic agree with me...so for those that want low risk please try other alternatives
Old 01-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
@Kika, I would love to see a viper four down behind an RV.
Plane nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
my understanding was if the manufacturer didn't specify it's towable, don't take the risk by doing otherwise. you might not see any problem if you do but internal wear or damages just has not been seen to the degree to break down yet it does not mean it's not there. i have seen people even 4-down LX470 against manufacturer's warning, that is too big of gambling...
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check with Remco.com as they do a lot of research in this field. Never have I had a problem with their results.

Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote