Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #1

Towing backwards??

This summer will be going from Midland TX to the Madison WI area to visit family/friends.We will be towing my wife's 2009 Ford Explorer, 2 wd. Owners manual say's do not tow w/rear axle on the ground. I say we rent a car hauler, my wife say's get a dolly, back up on it and pull it backwards. Of course we need a steering lock, and a light bar put on the 'front' of the vehicle. Which is the better option? This will also be our first trip with our '95 Bounder, (Ford gas).
Mr Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm sure you're gonna get different responses, but for me I would not want to tow backwards. I'd go with the car trailer.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:18 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd use a car hauler, but you could tow on a dolly if you disconnect the drive shaft. Just be sure to mark the drive shaft and the connection at the diff so you get it installed exactly as to take it off.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We would only recommend it if it is in the owners manual as an option for towing behind a recreational vehicle.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
If it is just a one time deal I would rent a car hauler with surge brakes.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Funny, I've wondered the same thing. Personally, I don't see why it wouldn't work out just fine. I think I would try it before I took off on a trip. The only issue I can see is that in turns, its going to have to act differently than it normally would. The front wheels will have to steer from the rear, and being as how the rear end is up on a dolly, the effective caster angle is going to be vastly different than normal. I really don't see it being a problem, but I'd sure try a local trip to see how it works out first.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #7

....I did it 30 years ago with a RWD sports car, from TX to DC. I didn't know any better and no one told me I couldn't do it. Basic issue is if you tow backwards, the heaviest part of the towed vehicle [motor/tranny] is at the back of the tow string. For stability, think most weight is preferred on the dolly pivot, and not at the tail-end because of tail whip!!!! I made the trip without incident but suspect I was probably just lucky....there could have been an issue....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:10 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
....I did it 30 years ago with a RWD sports car, from TX to DC. I didn't know any better and no one told me I couldn't do it. Basic issue is if you tow backwards, the heaviest part of the towed vehicle [motor/tranny] is at the back of the tow string. For stability, think most weight is preferred on the dolly pivot, and not at the tail-end because of tail whip!!!! I made the trip without incident but suspect I was probably just lucky....there could have been an issue....
Just like you
I Have BTDT years ago with out problems. Mine was Florida to Ohio
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some owners manuals will explicitly say if ok or not ok to tow backwards on a dolly. Check the manual for recreational towing section.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:40 PM   #10

According to Remco the 2009 Explorer is supposed to be towed on a trailer. I suspect the weight of a trailer (~ 1500 -2,000#) and the car (~ 4400 -4700#) would put you well over what your motor home is rated to tow. Towing on a trailer would also result in a lot more tongue weight than your motor home is rated for.

According to a Bounder owner's manual I saw earlier, your MH specs GVWR, GCWR along with everything else is located on a wardrobe door tag.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:01 AM   #11

Perfectly fine if it fits without overhang issues. The hub bearings don't know which direction they're going so there is nothing mechanically wrong doing so. As a former tow truck driver it's the standard way to tow that model. Grab the back, strap the steering wheel to the brake pedal, hang the lights and go.

As to which way is better comes to your personal preference. I'm a die hard 5th wheel guy, you don't get much easier.

Steering wheel strap
https://www.awdirect.com/steering-wh...d-brake-locks/

Drag lights
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/g...8aAoKUEALw_wcB
Flyte Risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:15 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Instead of the expense of renting a trailer why not rent a car in Michigan?
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:18 AM   #13

I never see RV's towing a backward toad. Got to be a reason.

If you bought a motorhome and this is the toad you want to use why not tow 4 down and make all the changes to make that happen? Else rent a car hauler trailer from U-Haul for this trip.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:35 AM   #14

why not disconnect the drive axle and pull with the tow dolly in the forward position? many folks do this on rear wheel drive vehicles...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing