Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:23 AM   #15
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
None of the Ody's from 2004 on are towable four down according to Honda. But we've towed our '05 for about 40,000 miles with no troubles other than the battery going dead. Fixed that with a charge line.
I also know that people do tow the newer ones (up to 2010 model) with no trouble other than the battery going dead.

Hello Mr D
I'm just curious, now Hondas may be unique, and I know nothing about them.....but I was always told it would ruin the transmission if towing 4 down without disconnecting the drive shaft (on most), or as some have a disconnect neutral on the dash standard. Otherwise oil won't get to the transfer case without engine running etc. etc.
How are you accomplishing all these miles without damage to the guts? My old Ranger I mentioned earlier I have to disconnect the drive shaft. Anyway just wondering if I missed something....

We exchanged PMs a while ago, we talked about some health issues, I pray you and the Mrs are doing well. Take care

W.D.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 12:32 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Honda's have pretty much always been towable four down, even the automatics. But the last few years they have changed the units and they aren't now. The new 6 speeds aren't towable as I understand it and the CVT trans used in the CR-V is definitely not towable four down.
Almost all Honda's are front wheel drive with a few exceptions like the AWD CR-V and Pilot
When we were looking at buying the Ody in 2004 I contacted Honda and was told they were towable, then the man told me he'd send us a letter stating so. And he did. So we bought it in very late Dec '04. Had it set u p for four down towing at Roadmaster and towed it about 300 miles. The I saw that Honda was saying it wasn't towable. And, thanks to the letter, Honda paid us $2,200 and I bought a KK-460 dolly. Used it for a couple years till I say other people still towing them so I went back to 4 down and have been towing it that way ever since.
There is supposed to be a 65 mp limit but I've gone far faster with it four down with no problems.
DW is not doing well. Last time they went in to do chemo on one tumor and found another one they didn't even know was there. That was on Jan 4th and she's just now starting to get over the pain and getting out of bed some.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:20 AM   #17
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Mr D,
Oh OK I understand....I thought it was probably a Honda thing. Come to think of it now I did see it in a list of all 4 down vehicles in FMCA magazine. Wish the dang Fords would do something like that, at least with the Escape would be nice.

I just responded to a new thread similar to the one we're on:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/towin...-new-post.html

I am very sorry to hear of your Mrs' difficult ordeal. We'll be sayin' a prayer.

W.D.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:39 AM   #18

Sam T - best thing to do if you flat tow is save up to replace transmission. A lot owner where we have a rv lot flat tows a older Odassey and told me a friend of his thought he tow a newer Odassey and it cost about $8,000 to get it repaired. Tow doll is your best bet. A trailer big enough to carry the Odassey would be to big to store once you got to the campsite. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:34 AM   #19

I love my EZ Tow dolly. I would say it's much easier to hook up a smaller vehicle than large. My Nissan Murano was ok to tow, but getting it up on the dolly was tight due to the width of the car and the original red straps seemed a bit too small for the tires. Getting the safety chains on correctly was also a bit of a challenge.

My CRV is a snap. The width allows easy access to the ramp hooks and the strap attachments. The original Red straps seem to be custom made for my tires. The safety chains are simple to hook on the towing hooks the CRV has.

I don't know, but the Odyssey might be closer to the Murano in size so it would certainly work assuming it's front front wheel drive and not all wheel drive.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:02 PM   #20

So with a UVW of 21418 and a GCWR of 30000 the combination of what's inside my coach and what I am towing can not exceed 8582. Am I looking at that right?

I am not sure what my hitch in rated at but I am sure I could update my hitch if needed.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:57 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam T View Post
So with a UVW of 21418 and a GCWR of 30000 the combination of what's inside my coach and what I am towing can not exceed 8582. Am I looking at that right?

I am not sure what my hitch in rated at but I am sure I could update my hitch if needed.
Sam T-

The idea of approximately 8,500 pounds to distribute as you wish is arithmetically correct, but perhaps not something Newmar would support. It would be wise to bounce your ideas off of them. If the coach hitch is rated at 5,000 pounds, Newmar may agree it's not a problem to allocate 500 pounds of the GVWR to the towed vehicle, allowing you to tow a 4,500 pound Odyssey.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:05 AM   #22

The hitch on the 3911 is rated for 5000 lbs. This is the limit of what you should tow, including towing equipment such at a tow bar or dolly.. GCWR is 30,000 lbs, GVWR is 26,000 lbs, and the approximate UVW is 20580 lbs. Note that the latter depends on options selected, so it's best to weigh the coach before loading. This leaves an approximate carrying capacity of 5420 lbs Towing anything over 4,000 lbs (GCWR - GVWR) eats into the NCC.

The Remco towing guide indicates that 2014 model Honda Odysseys, or later, must be towed using a dolly, which will add significant weight. Honda changed its transmission in 2014.

I've been considering the purchase of the 3911 and have found the 5,000 lb weight limit challenging. There are two new wheelchair accessible vehicles worth consideration. First is the 2016 Braun MXV Ford Explorer. It would have to be configured carefully to be within the weight limit. May not be possible. Freedom Motors Fiat 500L would be under 4,000 lbs, but it's rear entry. They are both flat towable if ordered with the right transmission/engine, but check the owners manual.

Enjoy your Canyon Star. Maybe we'll join the club one of these days.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay100 View Post
The hitch on the 3911 is rated for 5000 lbs. This is the limit of what you should tow, including towing equipment such at a tow bar or dolly.. GCWR is 30,000 lbs, GVWR is 26,000 lbs, and the approximate UVW is 20580 lbs. Note that the latter depends on options selected, so it's best to weigh the coach before loading. This leaves an approximate carrying capacity of 5420 lbs Towing anything over 4,000 lbs (GCWR - GVWR) eats into the NCC.

The Remco towing guide indicates that 2014 model Honda Odysseys, or later, must be towed using a dolly, which will add significant weight. Honda changed its transmission in 2014.

I've been considering the purchase of the 3911 and have found the 5,000 lb weight limit challenging. There are two new wheelchair accessible vehicles worth consideration. First is the 2016 Braun MXV Ford Explorer. It would have to be configured carefully to be within the weight limit. May not be possible. Freedom Motors Fiat 500L would be under 4,000 lbs, but it's rear entry. They are both flat towable if ordered with the right transmission/engine, but check the owners manual.

Enjoy your Canyon Star. Maybe we'll join the club one of these days.
I still think as I first posted your best option is to get a EZE tow dolly, I posted the web site earlier but from the site:

We have the lightest car tow dolly available on the market.
Most of our customers are retirees, and they won’t want to lug a 700 to 900 lb. car tow dolly around. At 330-380 lbs., our car tow dolly is the lightest and most maneuverable dolly available. Our dolly is well balanced and easily managed by one person.

Close What is the tongue weight of the dolly?

Right at 50 lbs in your hands. Our Car Tow Dolly design allows you to stand all the way straight up, making maneuvering the dolly much easier. The higher you raise the the tongue the lighter the tongue weight feels. Our wide 8.5 inch tires make moving over terrain very easy. On a properly loaded tow dolly the tongue weight will always be 10-15% of the weight over the axle of the tow dolly. Remove the steel ramps from the tongue for a lighter load. The Idler and the Electric brake dolly will be about 27 pounds in your hands.

if your vehicle is 4400 LBS and the dolly is 380 LBS you are still under the 5000LB rating for the hitch, with only over the axel weight your tongue weight will be well under your 500LB rating. I see no issues with you using it to tow any front wheel drive vehicle at or under 4500LBS with your canyon star. It is far cheaper than a new transmission or making the vehicle 4 wheel down capable as posted early in the thread and what you would need to do to the Honda. Great thing is if you sell the Honda it is as it was originally and you can tow your next car just as easy with the Dolly, no other cost or change needed.
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #24

Sam T,

Note that the conversion adds weight to the minivan. A local company recently weighed a 2011 Honda Odyssey VMI conversion for us (nicely equipped) at 4,763 lbs with the passenger seat removed. A tow dolly will take that particular minivan over 5,000 lbs. Just be sure to weigh your minivan and coach. That will tell you what your towing options are. Frankly, I'd love to get the Ventana 4311. Then all of this is moot. Too pricey.

Tags
tow, towing