Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Towing - best to buy "old"?

So DH and I are constantly baffled by the toads we see out and about. Everytime we see a toad he'll say "I thought you couldn't tow a...___" So my question is this. Many toads are "towable" but the manufacturer won't condone the practice due to warranty. However, if you buy a vehicle out of it's warranty years, it really doesn't matter! Granted some toads seem to be a real p.i.t.a. with pulling fuses, stopping to run etc. So I can see why Jeeps are all the rage! We just pull our humongous Suburban (throw it in neutral, shift the trans to neutral and go) We did see a guy pulling a Buick 4 down, went to ask about it but sadly he was gone.. We'd love a smaller, easier to tow vehicle but I guess buying used is the way to go!

Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We love our Jeep Wrangler...3mins to hook up and tow. If you need more room, get the 4dr version.

MiG & Xeena(German Shepards)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are 4-down towable...and then there are even a few more that people go to the expense of adding a REMCO transmission aux. pump to,,, and tow 'em anyway.

I think the easiest way to tow is a 4wd vehicle that simply can be towed with the transfer case in neutral...non-locking steering wheel...so you don't have to leave keys/or ACC. Position ON...pull fuses, etc... And now, some electric assist steering models are needing to be powered to help dampen the steering while towing to prevent wobbles.

Of course mating a nice 4WD vehicle with an Air Force One braking system...that never needs to be moved...and uses just about zero electricity from the toad battery (LED lights and breakaway relay...IF you actually breakaway)

That's how we like to do it...
Old 07-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought an older Saturn Vue, specifically to use as our Toad. Its a 4cyl with manual tranny, in excellent condition.

I disabled the GM steering column lock so I don't need to leave the key in it.

The Vue replaced an old Civic that we gave to our grandson. It had an automatic tranny that needed to be started and run for a few minutes every 500 miles or so of towing. Great little car.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
So DH and I are constantly baffled by the toads we see out and about. Everytime we see a toad he'll say "I thought you couldn't tow a...___" So my question is this. Many toads are "towable" but the manufacturer won't condone the practice due to warranty. However, if you buy a vehicle out of it's warranty years, it really doesn't matter! Granted some toads seem to be a real p.i.t.a. with pulling fuses, stopping to run etc. So I can see why Jeeps are all the rage! We just pull our humongous Suburban (throw it in neutral, shift the trans to neutral and go) We did see a guy pulling a Buick 4 down, went to ask about it but sadly he was gone.. We'd love a smaller, easier to tow vehicle but I guess buying used is the way to go!
Hammer bird,
Well, the first thing here is for you to educate yourself and the "DH" as to what toads are actually, AUTHORIZED by the manufacturer(s). And, to do that, you simply go to the "Dinghy Towing Guides" that are encorperated in either Motorhome magazine or, Trailer Life magazine. They come out every year and or, if you do a search on line, and type in the right lingo, you'll find most of them for all the years.

Then, you just cruise through the pages to see what manufacturer you might be interested in, i.e. Honda, Ford, Jeep, Buick, etc. Then check the models they list as being FLAT TOWABLE with or without, some restrictions, i.e. speed etc.

Now, after you've found out what you maybe might like to tow, it's up to your to find one, used or new etc. Now, you made a statement in your post stating, " We just pull our humongous Suburban (throw it in neutral, shift the trans to neutral and go)"

May I ask, is that Suburban FOUR WHEEL DRIVE? The reason I ask is, you say nothing about putting a "Transfer Case" in neutral which, would indicate it's a four wheel drive. But, if it's a two wheel drive and, an automatic, and you do as you indicate, just put it in neutral and go, may I ask, how long have you been doing this?

The reason I ask these questions is, with SOME exceptions, most automatic vehicles are not flat towable. And, I've never heard of a two wheel drive, automatic Suburban, to be flat towable, without some enhancements. I.e. Drive shaft disconnect or, Remco lube pump. Just wondering.

And, as for Jeeps being flat towable, yes, about 95% of them are, without restrictions or, alterations. There are a few, I think in the early years of the JK, that a fuse needs to be pulled but, don't quote me on that. The correct way would be that, if you looked in the Dinghy Towing Guide to find a toad, then picked one, then, either find one on a used car lot, a private party or, look on line for the owners manual.

Then, go into that owners manual, for THAT SPECIFIC VEHICLE, and see what it says for preparations/steps, for RV (Recreational Vehicle Towing). Then you will assured of, the procedural steps for a given vehicle that you're intending on towing.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought our '05 Honda Odyssey specifically for towing four down. Got it in writing on Honda letterhead that it was towable four down. Then Honda called us and said not to tow it four down. After getting the WA, OR and CA AG's offices involved Honda agreed to pay us for the towing gear we bought. Used that $ to buy a KK-460 dolly. Have now gone back to towing it 4 down. Probably have towed it 4 down for over 40,000 miles now and it's a front wheel drive V-6 automatic. We just follow the CR-V instructions.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post

Then, go into that owners manual, for THAT SPECIFIC VEHICLE, and see what it says for preparations/steps, for RV (Recreational Vehicle Towing). Then you will assured of, the procedural steps for a given vehicle that you're intending on towing.
Scott
Not always true though. Honda says there are manuals printed for the '05 Pilot that say Recreational towing is OK and if so then it's a printing error.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Yes. We bought our 2005 Honda Pilot because it was 4 wheels down towable. After we bought it, we studied our owners manual to make sure that we were doing everything right. After we had spent all our money and had been towing the vehicle for quite a while, we learned that Honda stated that the owner's manual was a misprint and the vehicle in fact was not towable.

The vehicle now has 270,000 km and has been towed for a little more than 60,000 km. Very trouble free service, I might add.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So DH and I are constantly baffled by the toads we see out and about. Everytime we see a toad he'll say "I thought you couldn't tow a...___"
Where is hubby getting his "couldn't tow" information? There are reliable sources, e.g. the Dinghy Tow guides, the Remco website, and/or the manufacturers. It's not really difficult to pick one if you use the available information.

I don't think new or old has a whole lot to do with it, though I'll grant that late models have more electronic gadgets and often need a circuit shut down (fuse pulled or a switch installed for it). Newer Jeep SUVs often have the same needs, and their own set of foibles. e.g. the Grand Cherokee.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Remco is an excellent source to find out what is necessary to tow a vehicle if it CAN be towed, and it will also tell you that it can't (dolly or trailer only).

2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing