Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I don't disagree that the toad needs auxillary brakes at all. I 100% agree with that statement... I have a brand new Ready Brute Elite with the Ready Brake set up that I am excited to get out there and use... that is if this winter will ever end! What I am respectfully disagreeing with (theoretically) is an additional breakaway set up backing up the auxiallary brakes. I believe that is what the safety cables are there for. I know I am not going to win this discussion so please don't beat me up... but IMO, a safety cable is sufficient back up to hold the vehicle automatically. If the safety cables break as well, you are in some deep doo doo anyway... I've seen the breakaway set up for the Ready Brute on Youetube and am more concerned about the possibility of a false activation, than it being a help in an emergency situation...
I don't see anywhere in the thread that anyone said you need an additional breakaway brake system in addition to the aux brakes. The breakaway system needs to activate the aux brakes if needed. The breakaway system is for the situation where you loose the towbar AND the safety cables. Such as when the baseplate fails (both are usually attached to the same baseplate.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #16
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I don't see anywhere in the thread that anyone said you need an additional breakaway brake system in addition to the aux brakes. The breakaway system needs to activate the aux brakes if needed. The breakaway system is for the situation where you loose the towbar AND the safety cables. Such as when the baseplate fails (both are usually attached to the same baseplate.
Thank you.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
For insurance, safety and state law reasons, you must have a supplemental braking system with a breakaway system for your toad.
From flying Diver "I don't see anywhere in the thread that anyone said you need an additional breakaway brake system in addition to the aux brakes."

What am I missing?
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
From flying Diver "I don't see anywhere in the thread that anyone said you need an additional breakaway brake system in addition to the aux brakes."

What am I missing?
I think you're going to have to be very specific about what you think you're missing. People are using different terms to refer to the same thing. An add-on toad braking system is an additional (auxiliary) brake system that is supplemental to the RV's brake system. That add-on brake system needs a breakaway feature.

Does that cover it?
Old 03-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I think you're going to have to be very specific about what you think you're missing. People are using different terms to refer to the same thing. An add-on toad braking system is an additional (auxiliary) brake system that is supplemental to the RV's brake system. That add-on brake system needs a breakaway feature.

Does that cover it?
The Ready Brute Elite tow bar comes with an auxiliary brake system that mechanically activates the toad brakes via a surge brake cable attached to the hitch. In addition to the auxiliary braking system, NSA offers a "breakaway" system that will back up the auxiliary braking system. This breakaway system is not included in the set up and is sold separately. It requires a second cable that runs directly from the frame of the motorhome to the brake pedal of the toad. My original point was that the primary brake setup, along with the safety cables satisfies the law verbiage as it was posted previously...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
This is getting silly. Here are the facts:

1-the vehicle that you tow (toad or trailer) must have its own braking system if it weighs over 3,000 lbs (varies by state)

2-those brakes must work in conjunction with the tow vehicle brakes during normal operation.

3-those brakes must activate automatically and independently if it becomes totally disconnected (breaks away) from the tow vehicle.

That's what the laws state, what your insurance company wants, and what is safe for you and everyone else around you.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #21

I've towed my Wrangler around the US and Canada a few times and just returned from Cabo San Lucas...77,000 miles so far....no brake in the Wrangler. To each his own.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
My original point was that the primary brake setup, along with the safety cables satisfies the law verbiage as it was posted previously...
Still disagree. Safety cables will not "stop and hold" the vehicle. It is, of course, your right to take your interpretation into court if it comes to that. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o View Post
I've towed my Wrangler around the US and Canada a few times and just returned from Cabo San Lucas...77,000 miles so far....no brake in the Wrangler. To each his own.
Until the lawyers get involved. Personally, I like to be able to show that I did everything reasonably expected to make my rig as safe as possible. As for everyone else, you pay (or don't) and take your chances.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #24

Thanks all for the replies/ This is why I turn to the experts in these forums. I will have the auxiliary brakes installed; while rather expensive, I believe in the long run of damages, lives etc, it is an expense worthy. Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by socceroj View Post
Thanks all for the replies/ This is why I turn to the experts in these forums. I will have the auxiliary brakes installed; while rather expensive, I believe in the long run of damages, lives etc, it is an expense worthy. Thanks again.
Good Grief - alot of back and forth here.... So I want to know what aux braking system people use for a Jeep Wrangler. Mine is a 1999 year model.
stevertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i tow a 1990 wrangler equipped with an SMI stay and play. it gets the job done.

mike
Old 05-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #27
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevertx View Post
Good Grief - alot of back and forth here.... So I want to know what aux braking system people use for a Jeep Wrangler. Mine is a 1999 year model.
I think that the back & forth is due to semantics. Hopefully this lends more clarity here. All cars, and most trailers come with brakes. What we are talking about here is a system to activate THOSE brakes when the RV is braking. That system will also apply those brakes if a breakaway (the towed vehicle becomes completely disconnected from the MH) occurs. If your trailer has electric brakes, it is simple. You buy a proportional brake controller and wire it into the tow vehicle. It will activate those brakes when you slow and the trailer has a battery to lock them on if it should become detached from the tow vehicle.

If you are pulling a car, which has it's own braking system it becomes more difficult. You must have a device that can activate the car brakes when the coach slows, and it must be able to lock them on if you get a breakaway. Add to that some coaches have hydraulic brakes and some have air brakes, and no wonder people get confused. There are plenty of units made by Roadmaster, Blue Ox and SMI to name 3 that would be suitable for your use. Just do a search on toad brakes and you will find plenty of threads on this very topic. It seems to get re-visited every few months.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #28

I have and like the ReadiBrake system. JMHO

Tags
brake, towing