Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #1

Towing/Brake system

I have just switched from towing a trailer with Smart Car to flat towing a 2014 Wrangler Jeep. Trying to piece together the auxiliary braking system on whether or not it is needed. I have seen that most states are satisfied if the vehicle can be stopped in about 30-40 feet from 20MPH. I will be towing with a 2013 Georgetown. Would like to see and hear from people that do and dont use the systems, and if used, what kinds are being installed. Thanks, to green at this and want to get it right.
socceroj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I see that you are new here. You should do a search for braking systems as there are PLENTY of threads and information on such. Regardless of the brands that people think are best, they will all tell you the same one important thing:

For insurance, safety and state law reasons, you must have a supplemental braking system with a breakaway system for your toad.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by socceroj View Post
I have just switched from towing a trailer with Smart Car to flat towing a 2014 Wrangler Jeep. Trying to piece together the auxiliary braking system on whether or not it is needed. I have seen that most states are satisfied if the vehicle can be stopped in about 30-40 feet from 20MPH. I will be towing with a 2013 Georgetown. Would like to see and hear from people that do and dont use the systems, and if used, what kinds are being installed. Thanks, to green at this and want to get it right.
In your case it really doesn't matter what the state regulations are. Both Ford and Workhorse Strongly Recommend a braking system on anything being towed that weighs over 1,500 lbs. They don't get into the semantics as to whether or not a towed vehicle is a trailer. They just say anything over 1,500 lbs. being towed needs brakes. Ford goes a little farther to say the brakes on the F53 chassis are rated for the Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) not the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).

The lightest Jeep in the JK series is about 3,750 lbs.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #4

Laws of physics trump all laws and opinions!
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #5

Not much to debate....you need a auxiliary braking system for your Wrangler according to the law. Having a brake away switch is not as clear cut.
State Towing Laws for RVs
Old 03-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I see that you are new here. You should do a search for braking systems as there are PLENTY of threads and information on such. Regardless of the brands that people think are best, they will all tell you the same one important thing:

For insurance, safety and state law reasons, you must have a supplemental braking system with a breakaway system for your toad.
I'm new to MH Toad towing, can you show a link/ law that says a towed auto has to have a 'brake away system'?

thanks
Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
I'm new to MH Toad towing, can you show a link/ law that says a towed auto has to have a 'brake away system'?

thanks
Cut right from the PA Motor Vehicle code. I'm sure that other states are similar. See item C.

4502. General requirements for braking systems.
(a) Parking brakes.--
Every vehicle or combination, except a motorcycle, operated on a highway shall be equipped with a parking brake system adequate to hold the vehicle or combination on any grade on which it is operated,
under all conditions of loading, on a surface free of ice or snow. The system
shall not be designed to require a continuous or intermittent source of
energy for full effectiveness after initial application.
(b) Service brakes.--Every vehicle and combination operated on a highway shall be equipped with a service brake system adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold the vehicle or combination on any grade on which it is operated, under all conditions of loading, and adequate to meet the braking performance standards established by regulation of the department.
(c) Breakaway systems.--Every combination operated on a highway, the towed vehicle of which is equipped with brakes or which has a gross weight in
excess of 3,000 pounds, shall be so equipped that, upon breakaway of the
towed vehicle, the towed vehicle shall be stopped and held automatically, and
the towing vehicle shall be capable of being stopped and held by use of its
own service braking system.
(d) Exceptions.--This section does not apply to towed instruments of husbandry and such items or types of special mobile equipment or commercial implements of husbandry as are specifically exempted from compliance by regulations promulgated by the department.
(Dec. 18, 1992, P.L.1411, No.174, eff. 60 days)

Old 03-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Cut right from the PA Motor Vehicle code. I'm sure that other states are similar. See item C.

4502. General requirements for braking systems.
(a) Parking brakes.--
Every vehicle or combination, except a motorcycle, operated on a highway shall be equipped with a parking brake system adequate to hold the vehicle or combination on any grade on which it is operated,
under all conditions of loading, on a surface free of ice or snow. The system
shall not be designed to require a continuous or intermittent source of
energy for full effectiveness after initial application.
(b) Service brakes.--Every vehicle and combination operated on a highway shall be equipped with a service brake system adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold the vehicle or combination on any grade on which it is operated, under all conditions of loading, and adequate to meet the braking performance standards established by regulation of the department.
(c) Breakaway systems.--Every combination operated on a highway, the towed vehicle of which is equipped with brakes or which has a gross weight in
excess of 3,000 pounds, shall be so equipped that, upon breakaway of the
towed vehicle, the towed vehicle shall be stopped and held automatically, and
the towing vehicle shall be capable of being stopped and held by use of its
own service braking system.
(d) Exceptions.--This section does not apply to towed instruments of husbandry and such items or types of special mobile equipment or commercial implements of husbandry as are specifically exempted from compliance by regulations promulgated by the department.
(Dec. 18, 1992, P.L.1411, No.174, eff. 60 days)

Lots of misleading information on this issue....all the data I find says not required in most states. Even California DOT says not required. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt11.htm

State Towing Laws for RVs
http://towingworld.com/towinglawsbystate.cfm?state2=NV
Old 03-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #9

Morally you need a break away braking system. If the toad become disconnected from the coach, it becomes a 4,500 lb battering ram. Saw one on I-75 in Ky in Oct. We were southbound, saw a car against a tree across the northbound lane. Just down the road was a coach with a missing toad. The toad managed to cross both northbound lanes without hitting a car and killing a family. Also while at Key West, talked with a guy who said he'd lost two toads. Braking system stopped one just short of a concrete overpass. He was a few miles down the road before someone got his attention. Went back, removed the braking system and wife drove the toad until they could get tow system repaired.
Better safe than sorry,
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Aren't safety cables or chains a "breakaway" system?
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Aren't safety cables or chains a "breakaway" system?
No, as per the law (and for safety) the system has to independently operate the brakes in the towed vehicle if it should become completely detached from the tow vehicle.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
No, as per the law (and for safety) the system has to independently operate the brakes in the towed vehicle if it should become completely detached from the tow vehicle.
That's not what the section of PA law you posted says. Unless you have something more definitive, your interpretation is simply that and is more conservative than what the law actually requires. That's not to say I don't think a breakaway system is prudent, I'm just saying that the specific operation you state above is not what the law specifically states... At least that is my interpretation...
Old 03-21-2014, 04:03 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
That's not what the section of PA law you posted says. Unless you have something more definitive, your interpretation is simply that and is more conservative than what the law actually requires. That's not to say I don't think a breakaway system is prudent, I'm just saying that the specific operation you state above is not what the law specifically states... At least that is my interpretation...
I think your interpretation is wrong. Two phrases in that excerpt:

the towed vehicle shall be stopped and held automatically - toad needs brakes

towing vehicle shall be capable of being stopped and held by use of its own service braking system - towing vehicle brakes are separate
Old 03-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I think your interpretation is wrong. Two phrases in that excerpt:

the towed vehicle shall be stopped and held automatically - toad needs brakes

towing vehicle shall be capable of being stopped and held by use of its own service braking system - towing vehicle brakes are separate
I don't disagree that the toad needs auxillary brakes at all. I 100% agree with that statement... I have a brand new Ready Brute Elite with the Ready Brake set up that I am excited to get out there and use... that is if this winter will ever end! What I am respectfully disagreeing with (theoretically) is an additional breakaway set up backing up the auxiallary brakes. I believe that is what the safety cables are there for. I know I am not going to win this discussion so please don't beat me up... but IMO, a safety cable is sufficient back up to hold the vehicle automatically. If the safety cables break as well, you are in some deep doo doo anyway... I've seen the breakaway set up for the Ready Brute on Youetube and am more concerned about the possibility of a false activation, than it being a help in an emergency situation...

Tags
brake, towing