Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towing Buick Enclave

Just bought a new toad a 2014 Buick Enclave, anyone towing one of these? If so how are you handling the pulling the three fuses? Anyone made a switch to click these fuses on and off without actually pulling them?

Thanks,
Terry
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I know that this is beside the point but I could not resist to ask: why did you not stick with a Jeep? It is sooooo easy with a Jeep. I too will have to replace my 2004 Grand Cherokee soon.
BT-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #3

I tow a 2012 Enclave, mine has only two fuses that need to be removed. I made my own kill switches using on / off toggle switches I bought at Auto Zone. Make sure you buy switches rated for the amp fuses you are removing. I attached wire to the switch and used male spade connectors filed down to fit in the slot where the fuse was removed. Then I drilled holes in the fuse box cover and attached the toggle switches so I don't have to take the cover off to operate the switch. Has worked like a champ for two years. You will love the Enclave.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT-III View Post
I know that this is beside the point but I could not resist to ask: why did you not stick with a Jeep? It is sooooo easy with a Jeep. I too will have to replace my 2004 Grand Cherokee soon.
Louis,
We have had quite a few problems with our Jeep and service in our home area was really not good. We liked the Jeep but just wanted something different as well as a car that rode better.
Terry
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Old 07-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #5

I did the same as tigerfan1. Make sure you buy a 50 amp switch for the large circuit. I made my own but all the RV magazines have them but they are expensive. Enclave tows great.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Ronrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:11 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
I tow a 2012 Enclave, mine has only two fuses that need to be removed. I made my own kill switches using on / off toggle switches I bought at Auto Zone. Make sure you buy switches rated for the amp fuses you are removing. I attached wire to the switch and used male spade connectors filed down to fit in the slot where the fuse was removed. Then I drilled holes in the fuse box cover and attached the toggle switches so I don't have to take the cover off to operate the switch. Has worked like a champ for two years. You will love the Enclave.
How did you connect the fuses to the wires? My manual says disconnect 3 fuses; two located in battery compartment behind back passenger seat(one for Onstar and one for ECM) and one in the fuse compartment under the hood(50 amp Battery)

Thanks,
Terry
SMI Air Force One brake
Old 07-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #7

For the 50 amp fuse used wire and male spade connectors. For the 15 amp fuse wired in a fuse holder.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
I purchased two fuse disconnect switches...they work great. 1 50 amp under the hood, make small hole fuse box cover. 2nd used for both fuses in battery box. I just leave the switch with the battery,take it out when towing. Blue ox sells them, or the mfr advertises in Motorhome magazines.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #9

Forgot to mention in my last post that both my fuses (my manual says to remove only 2 - 15 And 50 amp) are located in the engine compartment. My original approach was to use a charge line from the motor home to the Enclave battery and not remove any fuses. Worked fine for keeping the battery charged but also racked up 2100 miles on the odometer on our first trip. Went to plan B and installed the toggle switches and no more miles on the odometer while towing. Buick must have made a change to the wiring and location of the fuse box.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #10

Terry try these adapters: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is what I used on the CR-V. I still have the large one and the small one, I only needed one.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #11

Aside from the disconnecting the fuses, any other modifications with Enclave as toad? It's on our short list of vehicles and wanted to see if there was anything I'm missing. Connecting to MH? Thx
RestlesYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:39 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestlesYoung View Post
Aside from the disconnecting the fuses, any other modifications with Enclave as toad? It's on our short list of vehicles and wanted to see if there was anything I'm missing. Connecting to MH? Thx
No, just disconnect the three fuses and go down the road. I tied the two switches on the
battery to one 20 amp toggle switch and used a 50 amp breaker for the one under the hood. We love the car!!

Good Luck....
SMI Air Force One brake
Old 09-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Have towed our 2010 Enclave for over 20,000 miles. No problems still love it. I installed a switch behind the grill that disconnects the 50A main fuse. Don't even have to raise the hood!
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #14

Are the Enclave's 2 wheel drive or are they 4WD/ All wheel drive. If they are 4WD, can they be pulled on a dolly.
Thanks,
Wendell
adamson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing