Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
towing capacity 1997 fleetwood southwind

new to rving and i have a 1997 fleetwood southwood 7.4l motor with towing capacity 3500 lbs, vehicle i want to tow dinghy style with tow bar is 2011 chev equinox weighing 3950 lbs, can i do this......

thanks

rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #2

I wouldn't, but that's me. Even if this was a really sturdy setup (not very likely in my experience), my concern would be that if something were to happen, you might have some explaining to do to a sharp insurance adjuster?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #3

My south wind is older I had the frame extensions boxed had a custom hitch made I tow a 2007 Chevy 4 door truck
Old 05-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Perhaps upgrading the welding framework @ the hitch area could work . The engine can handle the pulling. Is the aframe tow bar rated for 4000lb?
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #5

I STRONGLY advise against it yet again. The RV maufacturers post weight limits on a coach for a reason, and they're not kidding when they give a rating. Normally it's because of the frame rail extensions that they add. They also are taking into consideration braking capacity. Also take into consideration your insurance. God forbid you ever have a mishap and they see you're towing more than what the hitch is rated for, they can legally deny your claim... and it doesn't matter whether you box in and beef up the frame rails or not.... The long arm of the law doesn't care. Is the risk really worth it ? Just my two cents..
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As has been mentioned on here before, the actual towing capacity is the GCWR minus the weight of the MH when ready to tow (loaded) or the hitch capacity...whichever is less. If it was my decision, I would not exceed any of the manufacturer's data. Do the numbers.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320
As has been mentioned on here before, the actual towing capacity is the GCWR minus the weight of the MH when ready to tow (loaded) or the hitch capacity...whichever is less. If it was my decision, I would not exceed any of the manufacturer's data. Do the numbers.
weight of gcwr. 20000..........mh....15657.........net carrying capacity....4343........gtw.......3500......,,,.., weight of toad..3900.....-400, not recommend ...,,,?

thanks for previous info....new here, did not know of toad info forum when first posted.....
Old 05-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvc123 View Post
weight of gcwr. 20000..........mh....15657.........net carrying capacity....4343........gtw.......3500......,,,.., weight of toad..3900.....-400, not recommend ...,,,?

thanks for previous info....new here, did not know of toad info forum when first posted.....
20000 - 15657 = 4343, is not net carrying capacity, it is the tow capacity, providing this is the fully loaded drive away weight. However, if the hitch capacity is lower, then that figure becomes the tow capacity.

If the 3500 is the factory's tow capacity, ignore it. The formula given earlier is the correct one to use.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #9

OK, let's pick up where you left off?

4343 capacity
- 3900 toad
= 443 remaining capacity

Your weight, along with any other passenger's and four legged friends weights, water, propane, any accessories that may have been added since the coach was built, food, bedding, clothes, misc. camping gear, etc. - ALL to be subtracted from the 443 remaining capacity?

That's factoring only weight. Haven't even gotten in to any hitch strength/durability issues....
Old 05-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

You would be really pushing your luck to exceed the tow capacity on that coach. And probably complaining about hill climbing performance as well. I wouldn't do it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320

20000 - 15657 = 4343, is not net carrying capacity, it is the tow capacity, providing this is the fully loaded drive away weight. However, if the hitch capacity is lower, then that figure becomes the tow capacity.

If the 3500 is the factory's tow capacity, ignore it. The formula given earlier is the correct one to use.
thanks, much appreciated...
Old 05-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks
OK, let's pick up where you left off?

4343 capacity
- 3900 toad
= 443 remaining capacity

Your weight, along with any other passenger's and four legged friends weights, water, propane, any accessories that may have been added since the coach was built, food, bedding, clothes, misc. camping gear, etc. - ALL to be subtracted from the 443 remaining capacity?

That's factoring only weight. Haven't even gotten in to any hitch strength/durability issues....
ok, thanks
Old 05-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer
You would be really pushing your luck to exceed the tow capacity on that coach. And probably complaining about hill climbing performance as well. I wouldn't do it.
thanks.....

Tags
fleetwood, southwind, towing