Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Towing capacity and toad weight

I have been searching all over for some kind of answer to my issue. I have a 1989 Fleetwood Tioga Class C. I have weighed it and am under my weight limit by quit a bit. Fleetwood says I can tow a 3500 lbs toad and the Moho has a 3500 lb hitch. The vehicle I want to tow weighs 3800 lbs, if I upgrade the hitch and total weight of everything is at or under the GCWR rating of the Moho will I be ok. Thanks for any response
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Probably not. If the coach is rated for 3800 lbs that would include the hitch, frame, axle, transmission, etc.

Many people say they do it and claim they never have problems. Law of averages says all of them cannot be successful. There have been a few posts on other threads showing broken hitches. I have seen a couple units in the ditch where the trailer has broken away from the towing unit.

It is a matter of risk. If you do upgrade the hitch I would seriously get a reputable dealer to install it and give you a written warranty guaranteeing the hitch and the drive train.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #3

Rick, that is the theory, under GCVW, and you should be ok.
I would caution you though, that another factor is the frame strength at the back of the RV, and that can be hard to judge or track down information on.
If you give information on your RV's chassis, ( Ford , GM ?) and GVWR maybe a member can give you more information, pertaining to frame strength.
Are you planning on towing 4 down or dolly ?
Also, with a 25 year old chassis ; towing at or near max GCWR, will require everything in the drivetrain, cooling system and brakes be in great condition to avoid problems on the road.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #4

Are you flat towing or is it on a trailer?
If flat, there is effectively no hitch weight, which is the aspect that is most often overloaded and can cause failures when towing at or above the weight rating.
Any rust from winter roads on a rig that old would deep.6 the whole affair.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
It is on a Ford f-53 frame, 26 ft Class C with a Dana 80 rear end and a 460 engine. I would like to tow a dodge dakota Sport 4 wheels down and with a full tank it weighs 3800 lbs. If the Moho was any longer I would be more worried about it because of an extended frame, it has a 178 in wheelbase. I have changed all the fluids and she runs really good. Has 82,000 miles on it. Will get new tires all around in the spring and the cooling system will get a complete flush. I am kind of anal about things like that, it will be well taken care of and I check it out completely inside, out and under after each trip. I think the tranny is the C6 3 speed. I am not in a position to buy another vehicle and want to get through the next season before I have to start looking. I just got the Moho in the middle of the summer and on our trips the DW has been driving the car while I drive the Moho. When I bought it I had my mechanic go through everything and he says all the mechanicals are in good shape, but you just never know.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #6

If everything else is sound, I would really only be concerned with the brakes. Even if they are in good shape, you have a lot of mass to stop with what was probably never a really powerful setup.
Good luck and be careful.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
If everything else is sound, I would really only be concerned with the brakes. Even if they are in good shape, you have a lot of mass to stop with what was probably never a really powerful setup.
Good luck and be careful.
I intend on putting a brake buddy or similar in the toad, I wouldn't trust the brakes alone with that much weight.

Tags
toad, tow, towing, weight