Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:30 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the information. Went back to the dealer this morning armed with all the info. Tried it several times couldn't get it to go into neutral. Fiddled with it for awhile and finally got it in neutral. Its taking about 20 seconds to get it to click in while holding it in the spring loaded position but it does. but not every time. I'm comfortable with it and purchased the truck.

I left happy and was able to educate several salesmen, a sales manager, a service writer and one service tech. So ridiculous its funny.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 11:38 PM   #16

Have towed both a 2001 and still tow a 2010 Silverado--well over 100k miles. Requires the two-speed transfer case with neutral position. Sometimes the x-fer to/from neutral is sticky, so I rock the truck side to side while sitting in the drivers seat--seems to help with the transition to/from neutral. With the 2010, the steering wheel doesnt lock while in "N" but you do need to pull the instrument cluster fuse to keep the battery from draining, and to keep towed miles from being recorded on the odometer.
PS--modest front tire wear can be an issue on the Silverado--mine anyway. The tow tabs/base plate [Blue Ox anyway] go into the ends of the frame rails, have to remove tow hooks. Make sure you torque the bolts as specified--ensures the rail ends are squeezed on to the tow tabs and the bolts dont wallow the holes in the rail.

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbus View Post
Thanks everyone for the information. Went back to the dealer this morning armed with all the info. Tried it several times couldn't get it to go into neutral. Fiddled with it for awhile and finally got it in neutral. Its taking about 20 seconds to get it to click in while holding it in the spring loaded position but it does. but not every time. I'm comfortable with it and purchased the truck.

I left happy and was able to educate several salesmen, a sales manager, a service writer and one service tech. So ridiculous its funny.
mcbuss,
The procedure I gave you apparently worked. But, like many things in life, if something isn't used, it gets sticky/corroded/rusted/stiff etc.. So, the more you run the procedure, the easier it SHOULD be to acquire neutral in that transfer case. In fact, what you should do, on a periodic basis, as in about at least once a month to every couple months is, that transfer case through its paces.

And that is, on pavement, and or sitting in your drive way, you can do your "neutral" finding procedure without fear of damage to anything. But, use that four wheel drive side too. Go into a field or, some place where you can be in dirt for a short while. Then, follow the procedures for placing that transfer case into 4H and 4L.

Then, in both cases, drive the truck for a short distance. This practice does a few things. It makes the electronic shift motor and mechanism, get "used to" making moves and changes that it's not used to. When it changes into those very "infrequently" used gears, it lubes seals and makes gear parts go together like they should. The more you exercise that transfer case shift motor, the easier it will acquire "N" and, any other task it's asked of.

You don't have to conquer a mountain or go rock crawling with your truck when running that transfer case through its paces, just enough to exersize the four wheel drive side of that drive train. Good luck on your new purchase.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
... With the 2010, the steering wheel doesnt lock while in "N" but you do need to pull the instrument cluster fuse to keep the battery from draining, and to keep towed miles from being recorded on the odometer...
On the 2013, the ignition is off and trans in Park, so no need to pull a fuse. My impression is that the towed miles won't be recorded, but I haven't checked. Next time I tow I will note miles at start and finish.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:31 PM   #19

YUP--same for the 2010.....but it still drained the bat and the mileage was recorded, unless the fuse was fulled. Recommend you double-check both issues on the 2013.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:12 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
YUP--same for the 2010.....but it still drained the bat and the mileage was recorded, unless the fuse was fulled. Recommend you double-check both issues on the 2013.
Old Scout, I just noticed your location. I am about 20 miles south in La Vernia.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
On the 2013, the ignition is off and trans in Park, so no need to pull a fuse. My impression is that the towed miles won't be recorded, but I haven't checked. Next time I tow I will note miles at start and finish.
I've towed a 2011 GMC 4WD Crew for many miles. It is the same as 2013 tow wise. There is no need to pull any fuses and your odometer will not record towed miles.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #22

Yes--La Vernia...we have good friends just west of town--hope the recent hail storm missed you and yours.....
Old 04-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Yes--La Vernia...we have good friends just west of town--hope the recent hail storm missed you and yours.....
yes, totally missed us, but more on the radar tonight moving up from the south.

Tags
towing, tow