Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Towing Chev 1500 4WD

Looking at a 2013 Chevy Silverado 4wd auto. Dealer says you can't tow them but usually they have no idea. Checked Motorhome Magazine Dingy Guide and no info for this particular unit. It says "Yes" you can tow but no info on transfer case. Looked at the drivers manual and its somewhat confusing. Suburban for that year says it requires Optional Active 2sp transfer case. Does anyone tow a 2013 Chev 1500 ?? Maybe I'll just go get a Dodge.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbus View Post
Looking at a 2013 Chevy Silverado 4wd auto. Dealer says you can't tow them but usually they have no idea. Checked Motorhome Magazine Dingy Guide and no info for this particular unit. It says "Yes" you can tow but no info on transfer case. Looked at the drivers manual and its somewhat confusing. Suburban for that year says it requires Optional Active 2sp transfer case. Does anyone tow a 2013 Chev 1500 ?? Maybe I'll just go get a Dodge.
mcbus,
N (Neutral): Shift the vehicle's
transfer case to N (Neutral) only
when towing the vehicle. See
Recreational Vehicle Towing on
page 10‑89 or Towing the Vehicle
on page 10‑89 for more information.

Yes, I understand the owners manual can be a tad confusing when it comes to "Recreational RV towing" of your 1500 4x4. But, as in the outlined quote above, it's there. You just have to find it. The owners manual is almost identical, word for word, of our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab. In fact, even the page numbers are pretty much exact.

I could sit here and tell you, "Yes, your '13 Chevy 1500 IS, flat towable". But, I want you to make dead sure by reading it yourself, in that owners manual. We have been towing ours now for about 2.5 years and, the wife does all the inside prep for towing while I do the outside stuff. It takes here about 30 seconds and, she's out of the truck, watching me do the rest of mine.

I won't go into all the procedures but, it's outstandingly simple. You DON'T see an "N" in the electronic shift knob on the dash. It's there but, you don't see it, UNTIL you follow the procedures for putting that transfer case into neutral. Once you do follow them, the "N" appears on that knob. Your truck is now ready to be flat towed,

Now, on the '13 model, you may or may not have to disconnect the negative battery cable in the final step, before you move out in towing. That procedure may have started in the '14 year, not sure. Our '11 does not require it.

Since there are a few models and versions of the 2013 Chevy 1500, the owners manual covers them all, in the same manual but, it has to jump around a few pages, to actually cover the prep for RECREATIONAL VEHICLE TOWING. That's why it's confusing. I took those little office sticky tabs that you put into books or files, that stick up, showing you to go to direct pages, in my manual.

I also setup and installed the base plate(s) and did the wiring for towing on ours so, if you decide on this truck and, would like some info on that type of stuff, surely PM me and I'd be glad to assist in these operations.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:29 AM   #3

Thanks Scott, I appreciate your reply. I've been doing this stuff for a long time but never owned a Chevy truck. Obviously I missed something so in a day or two I'll go back to the dealer and go through it carefully and see if I can get that neutral N to light up. If it is the correct transfer case and it will go into N, I'll bring it home. Its hard to believe the dealership doesn't know there product better.
If I do this deal I do have everything but the base plates that go on the truck and I will install those.
Thanks
Old 04-19-2016, 01:26 AM   #4

Its hard to believe the dealership doesn't know there product better.

Jim,
That's the understatement of all time. You know as well as anyone else, sales people, service writers and more, for some odd reason, many times fall short when it comes to knowledge about their products. We've all read many times on here and other RV forums about how clueless those folks are. Even many of the so called "Techs" have very limited knowledge when it comes times for certain technical applications.

Anyway, the operation for finding "Neutral" in that Chevy "should" be the same exact procedure as it is with our '11 GMC.

1. Engine running
2. Parking brake on
3. Foot on brake pedal
4. Transmission in NEUTRAL
5. Rotate transfer case, "outer ring" of the shift knob, in a clock wise rotation, all the way 'till it stops and, HOLD IT THERE! It is a spring loaded ring. If you let go of it, after you've rotated it too soon, it will fall back one position which, is 4L.

But, by holding it all the way to the right, will tell the electronic shift motor, to shift the transfer case into NEUTRAL. At that time, you will see a RED "N" appear on the face of that shift knob. From that point on, you're home free for towing.

6. Once "N" is achieved, let go of the knobs outer ring and, put the transmission in PARK.
7. RELEASE the parking brake
8. Shut engine off
9. Remove Key

Go camping!!!!

P.S. IF you look very closely at the picture below, you will see the "N", right below the 4L icon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0675[1].jpg
Views:	43
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	124567  
Old 04-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

Thanks Scott, that's an even better explanation. SD must stand for San Diego ? You were one of the good guys. I was the other guy who would make sure it was safe for you to respond. Ret LEO L.A Co 27 yrs
Old 04-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
It MUST have a two stage transfer case to have a neutral position.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
It MUST have a two stage transfer case to have a neutral position.

Stuhly,
Not sure about "Two Stage" but, it, like all of our Jeeps, does have a TWO SPEED, transfer case. One speed is Four wheel Drive "HIGH" range and, the other speed is Four Wheel Drive "LOW" range.
Scott
Old 04-21-2016, 11:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Stuhly,
Not sure about "Two Stage" but, it, like all of our Jeeps, does have a TWO SPEED, transfer case. One speed is Four wheel Drive "HIGH" range and, the other speed is Four Wheel Drive "LOW" range.
Scott
Jeep now uses 2 different automatic trannys, one does not have a neutral position, the other=more expensive one does.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbus View Post
I know you have the info you need on towing the truck I just wanted to add that the FMCA tow chart shows the 13 Chevy 4 WD towable with no speed or time limits
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Stuhly,
Scott
Jeep now uses 2 different automatic trannys, one does not have a neutral position, the other=more expensive one does.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 04-21-2016, 11:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Ray,
Normally "Trannys" is referenced to Transmissions, not Transfer cases. I'm assuming you're referencing Transfer cases. I'm not familiar with all the latest transmissions and, transfer cases that Jeep now uses in all its lineup. I'm really only used to TJs and older models.

Scott
Old 04-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jims Procedure should work. We tow our 2013 silverado 4x4 and the manual gives instructions for Dinghy towing, but it is in two or three different sections.

The only thing I will add to Jim's procedure is you have to start with your transfer case in 2hi (not auto) and turn the knob all the away around past 4lo. You have to hold the knob in the spring loaded position for 10 seconds. It will eventually go into neutral.

Once you do it a time or two, it becomes very easy. I am worried about getting complacent and forgetting a step (taking the parking brake off or putting it in park and removing the key).

Just went 3600 miles towing the silverado with no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160412_095047_resized.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	124936  
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Also, see page 7 of the trailering guide:

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...0eBrochure.pdf

All 2013 4x4 silverados are dinghy towable. Silverados only come with a two speed transfer case.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Ray,
Normally "Trannys" is referenced to Transmissions, not Transfer cases. I'm assuming you're referencing Transfer cases. I'm not familiar with all the latest transmissions and, transfer cases that Jeep now uses in all its lineup. I'm really only used to TJs and older models.

Scott
The transfer case is different on the 2 A/T's Jeep uses. I can never remember the designations, but the cheaper automatic transmission does not have a neutral position for the transfer case. I think they are now built into one combined case.

Tags
towing, tow