Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Towing Chrysler Town and Country

I have a Chysler town and country with a wt. of 6050 lbs. Is there a tow dolly that can handel that or do I need to go with a flat tow thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Remember, your tow dolly is only holding the front end, so the dolly doesn't have to be rated for the 6050 lbs, just what it weighs on the front axle. Towing it 4 down would require a transmission lube pump:

Remco Lube Pump LP-1 kit - By Remco

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John424 View Post
I have a Chysler town and country with a wt. of 6050 lbs. Is there a tow dolly that can handel that or do I need to go with a flat tow thanks
We use a tow dolly for our T&C when we anticipate a need to haul 2-4 other folks in a non off road environment. It works very well and is ez to strap down with the only drawback being stowing the dolly when not in use. As BFlinn181 said, make sure the dolly is rated for the ft axle weight and you'll be good to go! Good luck in your travels and have fun.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

This is always a point of confusion for tow dolly use. I am not aware of any dolly that is rated to tow over 5,000 lbs curb weight. Ours is rated to tow up to 5k curb weight with up to 3k directly over the dolly axle. One of the most heavy duty dollies on the market. Most dollies do not get close to that rating.
However, it is CURB weight you want to be concerned about. Not the GVWR Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. That is the weight of your vehicle plus maximum allowable cargo, passengers, luggage, gas, etc. More then likely your curb weight is under 5k. If you want to post the details of your vehicle, Make, Model, Year, Trim level I can tell you exactly what your curb weight is.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Curb weight of a '14 T & C is 4,652 lbs. GVWR is 6,050 lbs.
2014 Chrysler Town and Country Touring Passenger Minivan 3.6L V6 FFV 6-speed Automatic Features and Specs

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well EZE Tow and BFlinn I want to thank you for your information I really didn't want to put a trans. pump and viod the warrenty on the T&C so that is great news you have pasted on to me. Again THANK YOU
Old 09-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #7

try checking into the acme tow dolly, I've bought one they will store upright in the garage out of the way they have a 80 inch inside width so my t&c van will fit.check them out on the web
Old 09-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #8

Your receiver hitch is probably rated for 5000 lbs. so you couldn't legally tow that van anyway.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #9
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Curb weight of a '14 T & C is 4,652 lbs.

GVWR is 6,050 lbs.

2014 Chrysler Town and Country Touring Passenger Minivan 3.6L V6 FFV 6-speed Automatic Features and Specs

No problem for your RV or the Acme EZE-TOW Tow Dolly.

Good Day...
Old 09-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
towing

Thanks again EZE Tow I have a 03 revolution and the receiver hitch is 10k so I am good there I will be getting my tow dolly this week. Thanks again
Old 12-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #11

Just towed my 09 T & C to yellowstone. Couldn't keep tires on tow dolly. Wearing inside of both tires. Took dolly back to Northern and got money back.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #12

Towed my first T&C for a short trip of a few days. I couldn't stand having all that weight behind me. The dolly was nothing but a PITA. I would recommend go rent or borrow a tow dolly and use it for a short trip. See how you like the hasstle of hooking up the van each time to the dolly, stowing the dolly, having the dolly to maintain, 2 extra tires, etc.

The lube pump and an add-on brake system is a one-time shot that is done and over with, unlike the tow dolly.

I'm on my second chrysler van with a lube pump and unified tow brakes. The first one I paid someone to do it, cost around 3K total with tow bar. Second one I did myself. Yes, it was a lot of work. I did the install in 2006 on my current one and haven't had to mess with it since. Quick cable hookup to tow and that's it.

Tags
towing, tow