Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Towing CRV

We just completed our second road trip with our towed Crv and the Roadmaster towi bar and ready brake system worked very well! Thanks to everyone for your advice.

However, each time we arrived at our destination the battery in the Crv was dead and I had to jump the car. I pulled the accessory fused as it directed in the owners manual but no luck. I must be doing something wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Frank & Jeannie in Sanibel, Fl

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I use a spare terminal in the 6 pin hook up for a wire from RV chassis battery to the toad battery. In the line is an 20 amp auto reset circuit breaker at both ends to ensure no electrical problems. My toad battery stays charged. No need for any other electronics, the additional battery is controlled like an additional battery in the charging circuit of the RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #3

When I had my Blue Ox installed they added a charge line to the CRV that keeps the battery charged from the coach. I do not pull any fuses. You should be able to the same, it is not a separate line as it uses one of the pins on the umbilical cord.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFlair View Post
We just completed our second road trip with our towed Crv and the Roadmaster towi bar and ready brake system worked very well! Thanks to everyone for your advice.

However, each time we arrived at our destination the battery in the Crv was dead and I had to jump the car. I pulled the accessory fused as it directed in the owners manual but no luck. I must be doing something wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Have someone drive behind you for a few miles to see if your toad brake lights are on all the time. Might be that your Ready Brake cable is too tight, thus allowing a slight brake pedal application all the time. Probably not enough to actually drag the brakes, but enough to trigger the brake lights.

Another possible cause would be a radio on in the car. Did you pull the correct fuse out? Our Honda Element shows two fuses that handle various accessories. Although I never pull either. No dead battery yet.

How do you handle the turn signals for the CRV? Or are the signals on the RV visible enough to be OK?

We tow the Honda Element via the same Ready Brake rigging that you have, so if you have any questions, I may be able to help. I installed everything myself, so I'm pretty familiar with the setup.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I use a spare terminal in the 6 pin hook up for a wire from RV chassis battery to the toad battery. In the line is an 20 amp auto reset circuit breaker at both ends to ensure no electrical problems. My toad battery stays charged. No need for any other electronics, the additional battery is controlled like an additional battery in the charging circuit of the RV.
I added a similar charging line but only one fuse and I added an on/off switch near the battery.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFlair View Post

Thanks
Hi Frank & Jeannie

I tow a 2009 without a problem. Are you placing the ignition key in the off position. That is just before the position of being able to remove the key. Also have you had the CRV battery checked
Dennis
Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
Hi Frank & Jeannie

I tow a 2009 without a problem. Are you placing the ignition key in the off position. That is just before the position of being able to remove the key. Also have you had the CRV battery checked
Dennis
I also tow an 09 with no problems. I did install a switch so I don't have to pull the fuse each time. Have towed over 20,000 miles and no battery problems.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had/have the same problem with our '05 Ody. Have all the parts to add a charge line. 2-30 amp auto reset fuses (one for each end of the line since a short can occur anywhere), some 10 Ga stranded wire and some insulated terminals. Also need to switch the 4 pin connectors to 6 pin. Our DSDP is supposed to have a fused line already in place for this but I haven't found it yet. Since it's a DP it's really easy to wire a new line in right off the chassis power switch.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I also had issues with my battery dying as well and even after pulling the fuse, I figured that when my ReadyBrake pulled on the brake pedal, it lit my brake lights as well as my turn signal also draining the battery. Like others, I added a line from the MH umbilical cord to the CRV battery with in-line fuse.
Good luck
Old 06-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I am in the process of adding a charge line to our recently aqcuired 06 CRV battery also. I have a spool of 12ga. stranded copper wire, does anyone think it is heavy enough or should I go to 10ga? Also, would a 20A fuse be sufficient?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In addition to all the other good comments I guess I would have my battery condition checked as well. One day is too soon for the battery to wear down (unless some of the other circumstances exist). But as long as you are solving this problem check the battery for condition. Might be time for a new one.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
I am in the process of adding a charge line to our recently aqcuired 06 CRV battery also. I have a spool of 12ga. stranded copper wire, does anyone think it is heavy enough or should I go to 10ga? Also, would a 20A fuse be sufficient?
How far are you going? 30 amps going 15 ft takes 10 ga which is what I'm doing although some charts show that taking 8 Ga wire. Since it's just a line to keep the battery charged what I'm doing is overkill though.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
In addition to all the other good comments I guess I would have my battery condition checked as well. One day is too soon for the battery to wear down (unless some of the other circumstances exist). But as long as you are solving this problem check the battery for condition. Might be time for a new one.
On our Ody I put a new battery in just before leaving for a trip, on the second day it was dead and I followed the running instructions from Honda for the CR-V as well as turning off all the heat, radio etc. In fact it went dead two times in 6 days of towing and they weren't consecutive days either. Has not gone dead since and I haven't towed the Ody four down either.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Mr D, I am taking the charge line off the extra pin on my connector at back of moho. I will only be running the line from there to the battery, estimating 5-6'.

Tags
towing