Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #1

Towing Dolly: Master Tow Dolly vs. Demco Kar Kaddy SS

I need to purchase a car dolly in the next 2 weeks for a 3 week trip. Towing 4-down is not an option.

I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

A. Demco Kar Kaddy SS or B. Master Tow Dolly 80THD-EBL

The advantage of the Kar Kaddy is it's ability to fold up which the Master Tow Dolly cannot.

For anyone out there who has one now, or used either of these models in the past would you please provide some insight &/or recommendations?

PS The Master Tow is approximately 1800 while the Kar Kaddy is 3800. Both are 2013 and new. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I personally have the Master Tow. It does what I need it to do. Don't know what else to say. Which ever you buy, check the Toe In on the alignment. It should be Zero. Mine went out of alignment, No idea how, but it's covered under warranty.

IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Lucky,
I have the Master Tow 80 THD .I have had it for 2 years and it was 2 yrs.old when I purchased it for 1200.00.The thing was like new and I haven't had one minutes trouble out of it.The tires still look new.The only thing is it has plastic fenders and they look like the clear coat paint is starting to crack but,I don't think that is a big deal,just something to keep an eye on.Good Luck and Many Safe and Happy Miles and Smiles.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #4

I was looking at a master tow dolly until I found stehl tow dollies. for the same price it is wider (sales guy said 82" but I did not measure) and seems to be a heavier unit. I have not heard any negative about either but the stehl seemed like a better deal for me.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have Master Tow 80 and no probs with recent 1200mi trip & 3,400# toad. Tires running true, and like the now included LED lights. Did have dealer tell me he switched from Stehl to Master Tow for his rentals due maint probs with Stehl. Just FYI. R
Old 05-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #6

thanks

It's always good to hear from actual owners; especially when they don't have any problems either!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have a KK-460 that we got in about 2006, paid $2100 for it new. Only trouble I've had was the wiring inside the frame came unconnected. Had to partly disassemble it to put them together. Can't get too mad at it as it was a connection I made originally when assembling the unit. Heavy/big enough to haul our '05 Honda Odyssey with no trouble.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the other.

I have the karkatty SS I bought it a year old and was told the guy only used it once. I like it because of the folding tongue and the turning wheels or straight. I tow a 99 deville concourse. It also has hydrologic breaks.
The only thing that's a pain is you can't back them up so beware where your pulling into or you might have to unload toad and disconnect the karkatty get out and reload. Overall we like it.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a used karkaddy ss last year, I am the third owner. I bought it because it folds down to 66". I like the way it follows and you don't have to leave the steering wheel unlocked. When I got mine both plastic fenders had cracks where the rivets fasten them to the metal supports. Called Demco, they sent me two new fender at no cost including shipping.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
When I got mine both plastic fenders had cracks where the rivets fasten them to the metal supports. Called Demco, they sent me two new fender at no cost including shipping.

Chuck
Ours did the same thing last year, some 4 years after the warranty was up. Got the same response and the new fenders were wider and covered the tires better.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
I was looking at a master tow dolly until I found stehl tow dollies. for the same price it is wider (sales guy said 82" but I did not measure) and seems to be a heavier unit. I have not heard any negative about either but the stehl seemed like a better deal for me.
check the toe on any new or used dolly.
my new stehl came with 3/4'' toe in. i didn't use it for 1 1/2 years so when i found out about the alignment problem it was out or warranty and stehl would not talk to me or the 2 truck alignment shops that i took it to to correct the alignment. after 2 sets of tires, a shop in san jose ca. heated the square axle and bent it to correct the toe.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
my new stehl came with 3/4'' toe in. i didn't use it for 1 1/2 years so when i found out about the alignment problem it was out or warranty and stehl would not talk to me or the 2 truck alignment shops that i took it to to correct the alignment. after 2 sets of tires, a shop in san jose ca. heated the square axle and bent it to correct the toe.
The KK-460 is adjustable, owners manual shows how to do it.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post

Thanks I will do that.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #14

I have neither but, a neat feature is that you can lock the steering on the dolly and it will back up like a trailer.

Tags
dolly, towing