Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:11 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I hope you guys can help. We need to tow a 2001 Durango 4X4. I have tried to find a lease triler for one way from PA to TX but can't find anything large enough. Can it be towed 4 down? It does have shift ion the fly with a neutral position on the switch for the transfer case. Is there anything special that would need to be done to tow it 4 down?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:11 AM   #2

I hope you guys can help. We need to tow a 2001 Durango 4X4. I have tried to find a lease triler for one way from PA to TX but can't find anything large enough. Can it be towed 4 down? It does have shift ion the fly with a neutral position on the switch for the transfer case. Is there anything special that would need to be done to tow it 4 down?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you have a neutral position in the transfer case, it is probably OK for recreational towing - the Ram trucks are. Your owner's manual should either confirm or refute this and give you the particulars in the Towing section.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 AM   #4

I read the owners manual last night and it gives the instructions for putting the transfer case in neutral for recreational towing, but there is a warning that states "Front or rear wheel lift while towing can cause damage to the transfer case". We are looking at using a dolly to tow it as this is a one time deal and didn't want to invest hundreds of dollars in a tow bar setup for one time. Does anyone know if there will be a problem towing this with a dolly with the transfer case in neutral? If I have to tow four down, any suggestions on a reaonably priced tow bar and base plate setup for one time use?
Old 01-11-2008, 04:31 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I have to tow four down, any suggestions on a reasonably priced tow bar and base plate setup for one time use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think that will be cost effective.

The U-Haul web site lists tow dollies and full trailers for transporting vehicles.

http://www.uhaul.com/towing/

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:01 AM   #6

Just called the service dept at Dodge and they said it can only be towed four down, no tow dolly. Unfourtnaetly because of the weight, a Uhaul of Penske car trailer is not rated for a vehicle that heavy. Looks like driving it is going to be the cost effective alternative, depending on gas prices in June that is
Old 01-12-2008, 05:10 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Have you checked into renting a U-Haul tow bar?
That may be another way to do what you want to.
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #8

I have checked with Uhaul and the tow bars they used to rent would only wotk on vehicles with the old fashoned steel bumbers. They won't work on newer bumpers with the bumper covers. Most places do not even have them anymore. As for the trailers from Uhaul and Penske, the Durango is about 500 - 1,000 Lbs over the weight limit.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I read your post about the service dept. nixing the tow dolly, but does your owners manual address a tow dolly?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #10

the owners manual doe not specifically address the tow dolly, but specifically states "The use of front or real wheel lift while towing can cause damage to the transfer case". This is under the recreational towing section of the manual. I assumed that to mean raising one set of wheels off the ground while towing and called the dealership to clarify. They cnfirmed my interpretation. I do not understand how one set of wheels not turning while the other set turns would damage the transfer case if the transfer case is in neutral. The only thing I can figure is the rear drive shaft is turning the transfer case in turn turning the front drive shaft trying to turn the front wheels which would be secured to the dolly. But I do not see how that would be an issue inless the hubs do not unlock when not in 4wd. Guess that is why I am an accountant and not a mechanic.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The technical explanation, that I have heard, is that both drive shafts in the Jeep transfer case create oil spash/movement when the engine is not providing movement. If only one end of the transfer case is rotating then some bearings are not receiving fresh oil.

Putting a Jeep on a tow dolly, either front or rear wheels, is not a good idea.

As it turns out, you can use a tow dolly, IF you disconnect the rear driveshaft at the rear differential. Be VERY sure to not let the driveshaft come out of the rear of the transfer case. At least on the Wranglers the driveshaft slip joint is at the transfer case connection, not in the driveshaft.

As an aside, most serious Jeep offroaders who have lifted vehicles, will replace the transfer case slip joint with a CV joint and a longer driveshaft with the slip joint. Its really bad to break a rear driveshaft on the trail, because the shaft falls out and the transfer case oil leaks out.

Bottom line, follow the directions in the User Guide for your vehicle. If it says put the transfer case in neutral and the automatic transmission in Park, DO IT that way.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #12

Thanks for the technical explenation. It all makes sense now and I will not use a tow dolly.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rick A....If it's going to be a one time occurence, use the tow dolly and disconnect the driveshaft. Mark the u-joint, disconnect and then strap the driveshaft to the frame.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote