Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #1

Smile Towing / electrical issues Jeep Wrangler

I have an electrical issue when I tow my 2008 Jeep Wrangler. I have the Blue OX setup including base plate, towing gear, wiring harness. I drilled my rear lights and installed an additional set up bulbs with the Blue OX wiring package. I added a A/B switch to the battery of the Jeep so I could turn the car battery off when towing. Then wired up the electrical plug on the left side of the dash of the Jeep to RV power for the Blue OX unit. Turns out my RV has the AUX power of the 7 flat plug at rear of RV wired to the ignition. Pain to reset the Blue OX every time I stop the motor home. I just wired this AUX power on the trailer plug of the RV to the chassis battery of the RV, but still loose the Blue OX setting when I start the RV, I think the voltage drops on the chassis batteries during starting. Should I go back to the basics and take the A/B switch off the jeep, let the jeep battery power the Blue OX, and let the RV charge the battery of the jeep? If so, how should I do this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
What?

Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, you would be better off keeping the Jeep battery in the circuit so you don't loose power to the brake controller. Just make sure you put a fuse in-line with the power from the coach, and you might want to put a diode in line too so that the RV can't suck power from the Jeep.

joe
Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is one of those cases where US-Gear did it right.

US gear I had a line from the Chassis battery on the Motor home to the towed battery, Circuit breakers at both ends prevented damage in the event of a short (Self resetiting king)

Instead of using the A/B switch, leave the blue ox hooked to the jeep battery and run the power lead from the MH to the jeep battery via a self resetting circuit breaker, Without seeing the wire I'd recommend 10 to 20 amp breaker (I'd go small)
Old 04-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #5

Rewiring

I think the diode and circuit breakers sound like a good idea for my Jeep. I will put the RV electrical back onto the ignition circuit for the trailer plug and wire float the voltage over the Jeep battery using the diode and circuit breakers. I should have done this to start with.

I found a Roadmaster 710 diode on ebay that I bought and also some 15AMP circuit breakers.

I will let you know how it turns out
Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

US gear I had a line from the Chassis battery on the Motor home to the towed battery, Circuit breakers at both ends prevented damage in the event of a short (Self resetiting king)

Instead of using the A/B switch, leave the blue ox hooked to the jeep battery and run the power lead from the MH to the jeep battery via a self resetting circuit breaker, Without seeing the wire I'd recommend 10 to 20 amp breaker (I'd go small)
I'm new to all this and to be honest just a tad dumb. But I can read sketches/drawings/whatever, could I get you to show me where I could find drawings depicting what you are talking about. I'm getting ready to set up and tow a 2010 Rubicon and there are things I need to see that will greatly influence my decision to do this myself or take it somewhere. Your help would be really appreciated.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure what US Gear has to do with this discussion?

If I was to do mine again, I would use separate lighting. Using the jeeps lighting is a pain, too many relays and diodes, yuck.

And yes, absolutly run the brake off the jeeps battery, and wirte the motorhome connector to keep the jeeps battery charged.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
if you have the Blue Ox Patriot brake, it draws MUCH less juice than the other similar braking units you put on the floor of your toad---never had a problem with ours drawing down the Jeep battery with about 5k miles of towing on it...
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #9

2008 Wrangler toad

Not sure i understand.
Why isn't your motorhome running lights, brake buddy, etc. ?
Why do you have a cutout for your Jeep battery. Can't you run the 2008 without key on accessories?
I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler that i just had set up but haven't toad yet so I'm interested in this discussion. Thx.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Our DSDP on Spartan chassis has a charging wire in the loom, it has a 20 amp fuse on the MH end. I'd go with a 20 and some use a 30.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynch View Post
Not sure i understand.
Why isn't your motorhome running lights, brake buddy, etc. ?
Why do you have a cutout for your Jeep battery. Can't you run the 2008 without key on accessories?
I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler that i just had set up but haven't toad yet so I'm interested in this discussion. Thx.
07 to mid year 08 Wranglers still had the steering wheel ignition locks---sometime in 08 production they stopped using them. If you have the locking mechanism, you need to turn your key up one stop to unlock the steering-that energizes your onboard electrical so you generally need to take some steps to de-energize (battery disconnects, pulling the IOD fuse, etc) my in-laws have an early production 08 & theirs locks, my 09 doesn't even though the owners manual was never updated to show that...no steering lock, no need to worry about messing with the electrical when towing it..clear as mud??
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I killed the sreering lock on my tj, its very doable wwith a newer wragler too
Old 04-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBills View Post
I'm new to all this and to be honest just a tad dumb. But I can read sketches/drawings/whatever, could I get you to show me where I could find drawings depicting what you are talking about. I'm getting ready to set up and tow a 2010 Rubicon and there are things I need to see that will greatly influence my decision to do this myself or take it somewhere. Your help would be really appreciated.
Yeah, quite frankly if you buy the Readybrute Elite towbar with integrated Readybrake, a Blue Ox base plate and the Cooltech Wiring Harness, you won't need to worry about any complicated wiring setups or how to get power to a brake box in the Jeep. Everything will work very simply and the best part is it's the most cost-effective solution too. Just my $0.02

Tags
electrical, towing