Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Towing Enclosed Car Trailer Pros and Cons

Howdy all. We are contemplating going full time in about 2 years. Part of the downsizing is going down to just one vehicle. My truck is flat towable but the wife's car can only be trailer towed. She does not like driving my truck so you can probably guess what way we (she) is leaning. So my question is what pros and cons are there for towing an enclosed car trailer. Also for those who currently tow an enclosed trailer, any recommendations on brands or construction?
Old Grape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #2

The only time I towed my 20' "V" nose enclosed trailer carrying a passenger car was up to Oregon from So. Cal. and back. (I use the trailer on a regular basis during the cool season to transport my 4 seater Chevy powered sand rail to the Glamis Sand dunes)

I was picking up a 1971 Porsche that I had purchased. The problems are as follows, unless you buy a trailer with a door on the left side of the trailer, getting in and out of the car being towed inside the trailer is tough. No room to open the door and you really have to squeeze to get in and out. The second biggest problem is most RV parks don't have the room to store the trailer and in many cases their pull through's aren't long enough to accommodate the coach and trailer.

Wind is another factor. Now instead of having 40' of slab side for the wind to push, you have 60+ feet.

My question is this, why not sell both vehicles and come to a compromise, maybe a SUV such as a 2 wheel drive GMC Terrain or Chevy Equinox or a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4 wheel drive, all of which can be flat towed. If I was full timing and limited to only 1 vehicle, without a doubt it would be a 4x4 just for those occasions when you want to 'explore' Years ago, we towed a 4x4 Toyota 4runner with a 5 speed. The 4 wheel drive came in very handy when we visited Virginia City in Nevada. We found old mining roads that were incredibly steep and the 4 wheel drive made it very easy to negotiate those trails. Many other instances but no need to elaborate.

If you got a SUV or 4x4 you'd get the comfort of a car and the utility of extra storage once you're full timers. Of course the other option is a car dolly or, a drive line disconnect provided her car is a rear wheel drive car.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Agree with LJowdy...even if the pull through spot is long enough, most Parks place the utilities near the rear of the lot, so you would need power cord, sewer hose, and fresh water hose extensions.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #4

This week will be my first time towing with the motor home, it will be 65 feet, went
With an all alunminum trailer 20 and a 4 ft v, 7 high front ramp door and a left side excape door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	207466  
Old 06-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #5

have you seen this tread?
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/trai...ig-181760.html
We couldn't agree so its a 24' trailer, Jeep, Goldwing, golf cart
Old 06-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Momma not willing to give up her 2007 Benz (only 24K miles). Sits in the garage a lot.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the link. Some great looking rigs there.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:19 AM   #8

Back from a 300 mile trip.
After a few miles, I felt at ease with the length at 65 feet.
With 5 different cars then add a bike, a trailer works best for my needs.

Pros,
Towing all your toys and cars
Extra storage
Extra sleeping
My coach felt more stable with the towed weight of trailer and toad at 7k
What's is in the trailer will stay dry and clean.
Fuel mileage was the same

Cons.
Getting fuel, I was able to fit in a car lane, would be better in a truck stop.
Stopping took a little longer
Backing trailer
Takes longer to hook trailer and then tie car down
Storing and re hooking trailer in camping grounds took longer than a toad flat
fiting in some campgrounds

My thoughts. With more and more cars becoming none flat towable more open and enclosed trailers will become the norm.

For an enclosed trailer , a side excape door, and extended toung, and a toad that can move the trailer if needed. Would be everything you need for an enjoyable travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	410
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	208311  

Tags
tow, towing, trailer