Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #1

I'm planning on purchasing an enclosed trailer tow behind a motorhome.

The motorhome is a class C Winnebago 24f. Approx 102" wide.

I'm wondering if I need to order an extended tougue on the cargo trailer to clear the motorhome on tight turns? I think 36" tougue is a standard tougue and a 48" is extended.
Has anyone had an enclosed trailer hit your motorhome on turns?
If anyone has an extended tougue on an enclosed trailer what brand is it? Thanks
briandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #2

I'm planning on purchasing an enclosed trailer tow behind a motorhome.

The motorhome is a class C Winnebago 24f. Approx 102" wide.

I'm wondering if I need to order an extended tougue on the cargo trailer to clear the motorhome on tight turns? I think 36" tougue is a standard tougue and a 48" is extended.
Has anyone had an enclosed trailer hit your motorhome on turns?
If anyone has an extended tougue on an enclosed trailer what brand is it? Thanks
Old 02-19-2007, 06:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It's definitely possible to hit if you turn sharply enough. That would probably not happen going forward but could happen when backing, especially if the trailer wheelbase (distance from hitch to axles) is short. A short trailer turns at a sharper angle than a longer one.

I suggest you rig up a little simulator using a couple of 1x2 boards in a right triangle, one the length of the tongue and one that is 1/2 the width of the trailer, at right angles to each other. Place one end over the hitch ball and see how far you can rotate it before the end of the other piece hits the coach. It might still hit even with a four foot tongue, but the chances will be slimmer.

You have to make your own call as to how tight you will actually turn.

You should also check the weights carefully, since an enclosed trailer is usually fairly heavy by itself, so with any large gear inside (e.g an ATV or car) you may hit your coaches tow limit (GCWR) and/r hitch rating. Some Class C's have only a 3000# or 4000# rating.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #4

briandude, I tow a 20' Pace American behind my 40' Dutch Star. By my specs. it has a 5' hitch (included in the 20') and I don't have an issue with trl. and MH playing kissing games. With a 3' hitch you definitely will and 4' is so-so. I do know my 20' unit backs up a heck of a lot easier than my son's 16 footer with 3' hitch. As RVRoamersaid it is your call and you definitely need to take the weights into consideration. If you get a 2 axle trailer you probably will get electric brakes and with a brake controller it improves the safety tremendously. Any ? come back to me, Ken, Crossville, TN-sometimes!
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I will have to look for a manufacter that will extend the tougue.

I know I will have to back into tight spots.

Brian
Old 09-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #6

New to this forum and thought I would stick my nose in. Just purchased an 03' Monaco Monarch SE, 30', 8.1L, W-20, Allison 1000 and am looking to set it up to tow a 10,000lb dual-axle enclosed trailer. Coach currently has a 5K towing capacity. I'll be towing mostly in Arizona, hills and hot. Already have a brake controller, plan on bagging and beefing up the hitch. Looking for ideas and/or shops in AZ that could help me.
azmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #7

I WOULD OPT FOR THE LONGEST EXENSTION
REMENDER IF YOU HANG ANYTHING OFF THE REAR
LADDER/ BIKES ETC...
IT ONLY SHORTENS YOUR TURNING RADIUS ALSO
MAKES FOR A GOOD PLACE TO PUT A TOOL OR
ICE CHEST..

2000 JIMMY 4X4 (toad)
Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:20 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
azmonaco, the coaches towing capacity is determined by more than the reciever hitch weight rating. THere are the brakes, suspension, axle and frame weight rating all taken into account. Once you have the coach loaded as you would travel, you should have it weighed and then see if you are over weight and if not how much you can tow according to the GCWR (gross combined weight rating).
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:12 AM   #9
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
azmonaco--Please heed RVWizards comments. It's one thing to be a few lbs overweight; but your desires go way beyond that!

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote