Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:04 AM   #1

Towing enclosed trailer full-time behind DP, anyone?

Hello everyone. I did a short intro in that subforum. Just picked up a 300hp restored GMC with a fresh factory rebuild in engine and trans. I plan to add a large trans cooler and temp gauge.

The trailer I'm having built out is 32 ft, front 15 ft enclosed with an observation deck, and rear 15 ft open with ramps at the back for the car. The back 15 ft will serve to transport the car but more importantly as an extension of sq ft from my 15 ft front part enclosed "office".

I have some experience towing but not in a 40 footer, and not totalling 70+ feet. Does this sound feasible? Sound safe?
Aside from tongue weight, and making sure I'm under tow weight, does this sound like a disaster to tow?

The price for the trailer is half the cost of my other option, something similar to this but has to be majorly modded for car transport (to the tune of 55000USD, something difficult for a start up). http://mogreatdane.com/trailers/customized-trailers/mobile-marketing-trailers/32-ft-concession-stage-trailer/

I searched 20 pages back in this subforum and didn't find much on full time enclosed towing or larger style DP trailer set ups.

Thanks all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 03:59 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have towed a 12,000 lb 30 foot Pace Shadow Cargo Trailer full-time since May 2010. It has a 26 foot box and a 4 foot tongue.

I needed something to carry my Victory motorcycle and my Saturn Vue plus everything else that would not fit inside or outside in my motorcoach.

Important characteristics of towing is to load the trailer properly so that the tongue weight is correct.

Also make sure that your hitch on the motorcoach is rated correct for towing the weight of the trailer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:21 AM   #3

Location: 2004 Country Coach Sienna, 4 slides. Full timer and drifting continually
I used to tow a trailer, don't anymore. Much simpler and easier!
Old 10-17-2016, 12:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Important characteristics of towing is to load the trailer properly so that the tongue weight is correct.

Also make sure that your hitch on the motorcoach is rated correct for towing the weight of the trailer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Good evening, thanks for the response.

I'm sure I'll be good with weight and balance (as in, be able to distinguish). That's part of the reason I designed it this way, so the car engine is above the axles because the enclosed space won't have much in terms of weight. All my work equipment is about 1k lbs.

I wouldn't dare hook a trailer up to an unworthy hitch.

My main concern was the shape, open at the back. And 300hp non tag axle pulling full time. I don't want to be the guy doing 25 mph up the mountain pass.

Too many sad faces in this post. I pick up the bus Wednesday!
Old 10-17-2016, 07:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
In regards to pulling grades, my coach has a Cummins ISC-350HP and weighs 36,000 lb's. The trailer behind the coach weighs about 11,000 lbs for a total of 47,000 lb's. I was always able to get over any grade in the lower 48, Canada and Alaska but depending on the steepness it may take me awhile.

Once your speed is 40 mph or under turn on your 4-way flashers to warn driver's behind you. If there is room on the PAVED shoulder to drive that's where you should be and always use the truck lanes on ascending any grades. Do NOT use pull-off's on ascending grades unless you plan to stop for the view, etc. as it will take forever to get any momentum going once again.

The steepest and longest grade I have ever pulled is on the Icefields Parkway in Jasper NP Alberta Canada. With the pedal to the floor I was at 12 mph for over three minutes climbing the grade. It doesn't matter from which direction you are coming from, S-N or N-S, they are both steep and long.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:30 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Just picked up a 300hp restored GMC with a fresh factory rebuild in engine and trans. I plan to add a large trans cooler and temp gauge.
Is it a gas or Diesel? How many CU In?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:06 PM   #7

Diesel. Not sure what CU is?
Old 10-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowAndLater View Post

Diesel. Not sure what CU is?
CU = Cubic Inch

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Once your speed is 40 mph or under turn on your 4-way flashers to warn driver's behind you. If there is room on the PAVED shoulder to drive that's where you should be and always use the truck lanes on ascending any grades. Do NOT use pull-off's on ascending grades unless you plan to stop for the view, etc. as it will take forever to get any momentum going once again.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

It may be correct to pull onto a paved shoulder, but not something I would ever do as that is where all the things that can cut tires end up. Definitely use the truck lane though.

300hp doesn't sound like much for a load like that. Maybe a tune would be in order. With a pyrometer to keep temps in control.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To the OP, I'm thinking that since you have a restored GMC, that you have an older converted motorcoach or transit bus. It's not a conventional MH. If this is true, how is the trailer hitch engineered and mounted. I don't know if Busnut is still active, but you may want to visit there to seek help.
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:35 AM   #11

post a picture

This thing will never handle a trailer like planned. I need a turbo and a tune. Fire truck motor anyone?
I heard that the 6v71 is used in tanks and a special application twin turbo was installed? Maybe an option. I have connections in the military.....

Sac-Reno pass was 30 mph to the floor for 20 miles. Averaged 6.27 mpg. Only had one place to slow down coming into Las Vegas, right before coming down into the fishbowl where I had to slow down to 40.

I'll be lucky with just a toad. Back to the drawing table...
Old 11-06-2016, 06:12 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I'll be lucky with just a toad. Back to the drawing table...
Make a office space inside the bus and pull a toad 4 down.

After you trade up to a 400-450HP MH then have the 32' trailer made.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Make a office space inside the bus and pull a toad 4 down.

After you trade up to a 400-450HP MH then have the 32' trailer made.
You're on to something.

Office space isn't enough. I carry equipment. Lots of it.

But I guess I won't be carrying as much now!

I'm not gonna repower it, just babbling. I'll utilize it until I can get something bigger.

I'll have to either get a flat bed for now and make do with the car I have or sell/trade my current car at a 20-25% loss...
Old 11-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowAndLater View Post
You're on to something.

Office space isn't enough. I carry equipment. Lots of it.

But I guess I won't be carrying as much now!

I'm not gonna repower it, just babbling. I'll utilize it until I can get something bigger.

I'll have to either get a flat bed for now and make do with the car I have or sell/trade my current car at a 20-25% loss...
80 fire truck

Didn't the fire trucks come with a turbo?

Tags
tow, towing