Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #1

Towing Equipment

I am ready to purchase a tow bar and toad brake system. I have a 2004 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor and will be towing a 2010 Ford Fusion. I do not want anything to put in or take out of the car when hooking up or unhooking. I have estimates from Camping World for a Falcon 2 tow bar #520 and Roadmaster InvisiBrake #8700. The estimate also includes a lub pump for the toad which may not be needed.

On a separate estimate, they figured a Blue-Ox tow bar with the Air Force One system. This estimate also includes the lub pump that may not be needed.

The installed price of these systems are a little over $5,000.00 with the lub pump consuming around $2,000.00 for the Falcon / InvisiBrake. The Blue-Ox / Air Force One was a little over $6,000.00.

I try to buy quality products and would like some input on a good working system and would like to find something for less money. I am not familiar with the different systems to be comfortably with buying used equipment with out some guidance.

I have traveled all over the US pulling a trailer behind motor homes. With the larger coach, I think a tow bar will work better for me.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Any Suggestions for other installers etc. I would like to have one reliable facility to handle everything as a turn key operation.

PAPA "J"
2004 Dynasty Chancellor
1965 Corvair Sport Sedan Toad (on trailer)
Hoping for a 2010 Fusion on tow bar
PAPA J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the ReadyBrute Elite tow bars with built-in ReadyBrake. It is rated to pull 8000 lbs, the ReadyBrake is simple and effective. I think you will find this complete setup to be hundreds of dollars less than anything else out there that would be comparable.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You may want to check out this section of the forum.
Toads and Motorhome Related Towing - iRV2 Forums
Old 03-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think the Ford Fusion Hybrid can be towed w/o a pump. See owners Manual.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
I think the Ford Fusion Hybrid can be towed w/o a pump. See owners Manual.
I don't know which engine is in the Fusion the OP is looking at. Looks like the 4-cylinder and 3.0l V-6 can be towed without a lube pump, per the Owner's Manual, page 195.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #6

As for buying used towing equipment, Tow bar with Roadmaster be sure its a "AT" Falcon or Black hawk. These are able to disconnect under a bind if you buy a 5250 falcon (less money) you will live to regret it. I've seen lots of tow bars on Craigslist. Nickel shopper, etc. I wouldn't buy the bracket kit used too many thinks to go wrong. I'm sure Blue Ox also has a bar you can release under load (that's very important).
99Monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #7

FWIW, I received a phone quote today from the corporate offices of Camping World for a complete setup for my class C and a new Cadillac SRX. Roadmaster InvisiBrake and Falcon bars with all the associated equipment and labor from Rocklin, CA. The price $3995.00 That sounded very reasonable to me so I gave them the CC number to proceed with ordering the parts.
ingram4868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ditto on the Readybrute Elite. Don't even know when I'm towing! I tow a 2013 ford focus 4 down with a blue ox base plate. The focus was a real pita to set up but once it was done- super toad!
Old 07-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
On the 2010 ford fusion Ford has a TSB that states to lower the fluid level if towed, but if i was going to tow the Fusion i would opt to also let it idle when towing lots cheaper than the Remco and the fuel usage would be almost nothing. Check with a good transmission mechanic about this procedure.
I agree with joe on the tow bar and toad brake sys but would use the Roadmaster brackets.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing