Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
2001 Civic - 2,500 lbs - no brakes.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Let's keep this thread on the topic of towing equipment and costs for same. The brake or no brake issue is another topic that has been discussed here often and can be easily found via a search .
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #17

You touched on the brake subject, in your first post.

" There are many variables such as an auxiliary braking system...."

If brakes are required, it is a cost, yes?

You welcome
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You touched on the brake subject, in your first post.

" There are many variables such as an auxiliary braking system...."

If brakes are required, it is a cost, yes?

You welcome

Glad you asked. Look at your post #14. The second paragraph brings into question the legality and who has them. It was followed by another member who answered your question. This takes away and hijacks the op's thread. We try to preserve the intent of threads here.

Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
James, like you, I had sticker shock when I asked camping world for a price. I did quite a bit of on line investigation and finally jumped in. I have a Blue Ox towbar (not the cheapest, but it wasn't gold plated (about $500)). Bought their base plate (I think around $350), Bought a separate wiring kit for about $50). The hardest part about doing it myself was following the first instruction which was "remove the front of your car." Well, I watched their instructional video that was made for my exact make (Jeep Liberty) and it showed where all of the fastener were, how to remove them, step by step on the instructions...well, to cut to the chase. On a Saturday afternoon, it took me 3 1/2 hours to completely install the baseplate. It was one of the easiest installs ever. Another hour on Sunday to install the wiring harness. Cannot recommend Blue Ox highly enough. Have used it several times and it functions perfectly. We live in Indiana, so not many hills to worry about. So, my next purchase is the toad braking system for longer trips and more safety, but for now, I have all I need for right at $1000. I expect the braking kit to run about another grand. I tried another RV dealer also, but they were about the same as Camping World.. They priced me a tow bar for $1,500, etc, etc, etc. If you are handy and can convince the wife to let you take off the front bumper you can save quite a bit in labor. Good luck, have fun.
chiavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #20

Try hitchtrader.com for used stuff if you're so inclined.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #21

I'm new to rv'ing and to this forum. I also have the same question about the auxiliary brake sys. I'm going to tow a 2000 jeep that weighs about 3000#.I live in fla. and they require if over 3000#

Bottom line is should I or shouldn't I
jimdowdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #22

tow equip $

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I am new to motorhomes but have owned 5th wheels in the past. That being said, I priced the hardware at Camping World to be able to tow my 2010 Dodge 1500 Ram and they quoted over $3000.00 to buy and install. This seems high to me but like I said I am new to MHing. Is this typical for the equipment and installation? The threads I have read warn about used equipment. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Butch
I am not sure what your pickup weight is, but I highly recommend a 10,000# class IV tow bar. I always load my GMC pu toad (5500 lbs) with more than I should.

I bought a brand new blue ox aventa class iv tow bar on ebay for $575 including freight and tax. I bought a used base plate on craigs list for $150, a used blue ox patroit brake for $400 on craigs list, a new blue ox towing accessory package which inclues safety cable, wiring harness, locks, etc for $250 on ebay.

I installed the tow base plate on my pu and had a local source install the wiring package for $180.

A bit over $1400 for a class iv tow package.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Different vehicles require different base mounting plates with different degrees of difficulties for the installation. I've read where some people have installed their own base plate in a matter of a couple hours. We checked on the normal install time for our setup which was is a Chevy Captiva and Blue Ox base plate and found out the professionals expect to take about 7 hours to do the install. My son and I did it ourselves in about 10 hours with some interruptions so we felt good about our install but after doing it the cost of paying someone to do it seemed pretty reasonable to me. I would check on YouTube to see if there are any videos showing your base plate being installed on your vehicle. This will give you an idea of how difficult and time consuming the install is and that will help you decide if the charge to have it done is reasonable or not.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #24

Towing equipment cost

A toad setup cost pays for itself in the fuel mileage boost while driving around on local adventures vs the MH.
My toad setup owes me nada!
My arthritis dictated 4-down. I never argue with Arthir.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:14 AM   #25

Butch,
I have a Brake Buddy Classic and Blue Ox Alladin all terrain tow bar package that I'm getting ready to sell. Used once for 12 miles. Getting out of RVing due to health issues.

Pulled with Minnie Winnie 25b and toad was a Fiat Sport (available).

If interested helmscar@gmail.com 937-429-0828

Carl (Butch) Helms
OTR Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #26

Just had my Jeep Wrangler setup, I went with Blue Ox Surge System (similar to Ready Brake), all the rest Blue Ox stuff. Complete with install came to $3000, and I mean complete, brake away system also. Hitch King in Tampa sold me the equipment and did the install, great crew, great job.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:30 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Real cost depends on the cost to install base plates. It took 9hrs labor to install the plate on. My Cadillac SRX 'cause the entire front of the car had to come off.
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #28

I just got finished setting up a 2015 Chevy Colorado for towing. I went with Blue Ox base plate, Blue Ox Alpha tow bar, Roadmaster diode wiring kit for lights, and an RVI Brake2 with 12v direct and a breakaway kit. I also needed to add a marine style battery disconnect. A Protect-A-Tow completed the setup. Total for all of the parts (new) was pennies under $2500. Local places quoted me $1500-$2000 for installation of everything. Did it myself over several weekends and it was well worth the cost savings. The single most expensive piece was the supplemental braking unit.

Tags
tow, towing