Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: We have purchased our toad and would like some recommendations on tow bars and brake systems to con
Blue Ox 13 81.25%
Roadmaster 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2006, 07:10 AM   #1

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2006, 07:10 AM   #2

Old 03-18-2006, 07:39 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

John and Elaine,you will get the advice of many different people,who basically will "side" with either the "Blue Ox" brand of equipment or the "Roadmaster" brand of equipment.

As far as brake controllers,you are going to find much the same comparison or "brand" favorites...Whether it's a "Brake Buddy" that sits on the toad floor and attaches to the brake pedal, or a system that is permanently mounted under the seat and utilizes the vacuum system on your toad to activate the brakes....

Your "challenge" is to wade through the information given here and decide which is best for you.

Let me start....After having the "Brake Buddy" type of setup with my last motor home,an '04 Winnebago Journey and a Ford Explorer, I personally "tired" of always needing to take the box out of the toad and "put" it somewhere....Sometimes I left it in the cargo compartment of the toad,sometimes I took the time to put it in a compartment on the coach....either way,you have to put it somewhere....This type of system is somewhat "portable" if you can call it that...

I currently use a "Silent Partner" by SMI.
It consists of a small air compressor mounted under the seat that powers a small air cylinder and "arm" that is attached to the firewall and brake pedal....It also requires a "t" connection to your vacuum brake lines,which was really simple....When braking is called for by the coach,it uses 10 PSI to activate your brakes.

As far as a baseplate and a tow bar set-up, I use the Alexus tow bar by Blue OX.
Blue Ox also can provide you with the base plate for the front of the vehicle....
HERE is the link to the Saturn page on Blue Ox's web site...

I'm sure you'll from some other folks that use something else, I just wanted to get you started!

Happy Camping and a "belated" WELCOME to iRV2!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #4

Do any of you have experience with something called Ready Brake built by Night Shift Auto. We are looking for a brake system eventually, and are considering one of these. Any comments or warnings? Thanks, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Like rebelsbeach we matured in our needs for an auxilliary toad braking system and as he I opted for the SMI. I have the Stay-In-Play model. I am most pleased with this system and I even know the principal, Peter. He and 2 techs personally set mine up in my Saturn Vue this past summer in the Arizona desert.

I would not want to be without my SMI having experienced and used BrakeBuddy for the past 4 years. I do speak from expereince and there is nothing like opening the door to your car, flipping a switch to turn the barke on and simply walking away. It's that easy.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:07 AM   #6

To; John and Elaine,

IN addition to above advice be sure the tow-bar is close to level between moho and toad. If moho is higher, BE SURE TO GET A " DROP RECEIVER" to make sure height difference is less than 4" , the closer to level, the better.

Good luck and be safe

Aime==== AJBJRVERS
Old 03-20-2006, 08:35 AM   #7

To' ALL Toaders;

Finally took delivery of new toad. Have all the items to be installed on 3/23/06. All Blue Ox, purchased from RVUPGRADES and at the best, lowest, prices to be found and I DID shop.

They say normal time for baseplate and wiring is 5 hours and I'm also putting a receiver on rear of toad for a bike carrier, so I figure about 6 hours at $65.00 an hour. I'll post install charges. My thoughtd are to make as much info available so others can make well informed decisions.

Thanks== Aime== AJBJRVERS===
Old 03-20-2006, 09:10 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Good choices Aime....and rvuprades is an iRV2 sponsor!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:21 PM   #9

I use the M G brake system. Just plug the air hose in from the rv to the toad. Its a little pricey but well worth it for my money.- jhn

cookie monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:17 PM   #10

To, All Toaders and future Toaders;

As I mentioned in a previous posting, what follows were the charges to get toad prepared for towing. I had the shop do additional things and I'll list them and try to arrive at just the usual toad stuff. The shop had 2 techs working on car and they didn't separate just toad charges.

Had them install;
Class II receiver on rear of toad for bike carrier
Wiring from toad rear lights to 7 pin receptacle in event I tow something with tail-lights, etc.
Wiring from engine compartment fuse panel to drivers pedal kick-plate with 30 amp. in line fuse and toggle switch, this way I don't have to go under hood to pull fuse when towing.
Break- away wiring for Brake Buddy.

Install 4 window wind deflectors
" 4 mud flaps

Total labor time ; 15 hours @ $65.00 an hour.. #975.00. I figure 5 hours for my non toad stuff. so that is $650.00 plus parts.

Probably in my younger, healthier days ,I would have done it.

My thought here is to give any newbie or other who is considering TOADING an idea of total cost.

Hope this info useful.

Thanks=== Aime====AJBJRVERS
Old 03-25-2006, 02:07 AM   #11

To, All Toaders;

After posting the above info, I had to rush out because we were running late to meet another couple.

On the way there , a " light " went off in my head? , WHAT THE HECK DID I PAY IN LABOR, for the above install??

I remembered the Blue Ox Manual listed 4 hours install time for base-plate and 1 1/2 hours for light wiring, I paid for 10 hours !!!

at 8:30 am EST, I'll be on phone, 40 mile drive, to get a clarification of charges.

MORAL !!! Don't be in a hurry11

Aime====== AJBJRVERS
Old 03-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #12

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it.
Thanks
John
Old 03-28-2006, 03:37 AM   #13

To, ALL Toaders,

Update on my 3/25 posting re; labor charges.

After stewing in my juices all weekend, we drove to installer on Monday, 3/27.

After much discussion, not too heated, the owner, when shown Blue Ox and other install times, which are just estimates, he re-did his calculations and came back with a $455.00 credit to my charge card which means I paid $520.00 for labor.

A heck of a lot better.

I realize now , I can't be in such a hurry and must check things more carefully.

Thanks== Aime==== AJBJRVERS
Old 03-28-2006, 01:35 PM   #14

I just saw an ad for the Roadmaster Even Brake. It sounds good. Has anyone had any experience with it?
John