Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #29
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
So I have been installing towing gear to our new 2014 F150 all weekend. I have run into a few obstacles. I purchased a Hopkins Diode Kit and was about to install it. It is plug and play, no cutting wires. I now realize that my brakes are active even with the key off so as mentioned by walt2137, the F150's brake light will override the MH's turn signals when the brakes are applied. Dogpatch, has this been a problem for you or what did you do to resolve it? Did you have a brake light relay kit installed. It looks like a PITA to install up under the dash at the brake light switch.
Scotty, This is one of the vary reasons I had the dealer do the wiring install. He patched into the wire harness under the hood. Not sure of his process, so I can't help you. Sorry.
As I mentioned previously, as my truck was brand new, I wanted the dealer responsible if the truck burned up. Electrical isn't my forte'.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Scotty, This is one of the vary reasons I had the dealer do the wiring install. He patched into the wire harness under the hood. Not sure of his process, so I can't help you. Sorry.
As I mentioned previously, as my truck was brand new, I wanted the dealer responsible if the truck burned up. Electrical isn't my forte'.
Good move. I'm not sure my dealer would have done the work. They probably would have sent it out to a truck outfitter, but at least it would have been under their umbrella. I wonder if smlranger ever got his installed on his 2014?

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Scotty you are correct the brake relay kit is a PIA what I did was use a Brake light bar I had built a few yrs ago out of a short piece of 2 inch square thin wall bar and about 4 ft 2X2 1/8 angle that installs in the 2 inch receiver and reinstalled LED lights on it that uses a flat trailer plug. This was the simplest answer to the tow lights for me.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Here is an exerpt from the 2014 F150 Towing Section.

See item #5.

With my 2013, after I've started it, I'm also supposed to shift from reverse to drive a few times back and forth to circulate the oil through the gears.

I read your attachment and reread it because I have been towing my 2012 F150 Ecoboost for awhile now and have NOT been starting it every morning and every 6 hours thereafter.

Nowhere does item #5 reference the F150 , only item#6 is a footnote for the F150.

I exhaled a big sigh of relief.
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:36 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Good move. I'm not sure my dealer would have done the work. They probably would have sent it out to a truck outfitter, but at least it would have been under their umbrella. I wonder if smlranger ever got his installed on his 2014?
Scotty, I have all my tow stuff sitting in my basement but haven't installed any yet. Blue Ox baseplate, AF1 for second vehicle, and the same Hopkins light kit you have. I didn't think of the brake light covering a signal light. My coach is set up for the CRV which has amber turn signals separate from the brake lights. Actually, I did not run a 'brake' signal wire from the coach to the CRV since the CRV brake lights come on when the AF1 depresses the brake pedal on the toad. I plan to do same with the F150....run the RT and LT wires and let the AF1 activate the F150 brake lights. So, wonder if that will override the turn signals??

I'm still waiting on the ramps to load the golf car. I am in no hurry since we won't be traveling again until DW has her back surgery in late January.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #34
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Scotty,

That's also the difference in our set ups. My tow system is the Ready Brute Elite with Ready Brake. My system mechanically pulls the brake pedal which activates the brake lights on the truck. The wiring only ties into the harness for the signal lights, driving lights and emergency flashers.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Yes the brake light will over ride the signal SMLRanger you will have to come up with something else.
Les your ready brute will activate the brake light same a my Roadmaster BrakeMaster and Scottys brake system , the only answer would be use the amber signal lights (and we dont have them on our F150) or use a brake relay kit PIA or some other add on lights. Hopkins had a toad light kit they bought from another company but they didnt have one for the F150 and if they did make one it was very expensive and as much of a PIA to hook up as the brake light relay so it looks like its cut into the wires (that I refuse to do ) or a add on light.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Too bad someone doesn't make a plug and play brake light relay for the F150. I watched a video of one being installed in a Honda. The tech litterally had to cut and splice wires way up under and near the brake light switch. I went out and looked at ours and you would have to be a 3-armed monkey to get up there. I may have to pay someone to install it. I have enjoyed installing the base plates and everything else. I may call around tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:12 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Scotty, with this new info, I am considering installing the Hopkins plug and play then pull leads from the RT/LT wires and install a couple of amber turn signal lights on the truck. Since I am wired for separate turn signals (from coach to CRV), I want to keep that scheme since we want to be able to tow either the truck or the CRV.

I also looked at the brake light relay install video and that is also a no-go at my age and flexibility limitations. Just gotta be a better way to skin this cat.

Any tips on the base plate install? Looks pretty easy except for maybe needing a second set of hands reinstalling the bumper.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:56 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Scotty, with this new info, I am considering installing the Hopkins plug and play then pull leads from the RT/LT wires and install a couple of amber turn signal lights on the truck. Since I am wired for separate turn signals (from coach to CRV), I want to keep that scheme since we want to be able to tow either the truck or the CRV.

I also looked at the brake light relay install video and that is also a no-go at my age and flexibility limitations. Just gotta be a better way to skin this cat.

Any tips on the base plate install? Looks pretty easy except for maybe needing a second set of hands reinstalling the bumper.
The Roadmaster MX Bases did not require the bumper to be removed, just the lower air dam. The receivers just bolt to where the tow hooks were plus through some existing holes in the side of the frame. It is very tight but doable.

I'm having trouble envisioning your wiring arrangement. Do you have two separate wires for turn signals and brake lights on each side coming from your coach? LT, LB, RT, RB. Where do you intend to install the amber lights.

I probably will not get back on the project for two weeks. We will be gone next weekend.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #39
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Too bad someone doesn't make a plug and play brake light relay for the F150. I watched a video of one being installed in a Honda. The tech litterally had to cut and splice wires way up under and near the brake light switch. I went out and looked at ours and you would have to be a 3-armed monkey to get up there. I may have to pay someone to install it. I have enjoyed installing the base plates and everything else. I may call around tomorrow.
My only concern Scotty would be possible warranty issues with a self install.
Some things are better left to others for liability reasons.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The Roadmaster MX Bases did not require the bumper to be removed, just the lower air dam. The receivers just bolt to where the tow hooks were plus through some existing holes in the side of the frame. It is very tight but doable.

I'm having trouble envisioning your wiring arrangement. Do you have two separate wires for turn signals and brake lights on each side coming from your coach? LT, LB, RT, RB. Where do you intend to install the amber lights.

I probably will not get back on the project for two weeks. We will be gone next weekend.
The Blue Ox baseplate also attaches where the tow hooks are but you have to remove the bumper.

From my coach I have the following wires run to the toad:

1. White ground
2. Brown running/tail lights
3. Green right turn
4. Yellow left turn
5. Red brake light (only one wire)

Now to clarify, I wired the CRV with diodes and only connected the white, brown, green and yellow wires. So I have running lights and right and left turn signals (amber lights on CRV). I actually did not use the separate brake light wire (red) since I get brake lights on the CRV when the AF1 pulls on the brake pedal arm. I had hoped to do same on the F150 but looks like I can't since there are no separate turn signals. So, rethinking all this, it would probably be better (simpler) to just return the Hopkins kit and get one of the add-a-bulb kits. I used one of these on a Ford Focus and it worked fine. At least with the add-a-bulb kit, I will get running and signal lights from the coach and my AF1 can activate the truck brake lights when it pulls on the brake pedal arm. This keeps all the wiring separate from the truck wiring.

I had thought of mounting a couple of nice LED amber lights below the existing tail lights on the truck and using them for turn signals but that is more complicated than the add-a-bulb.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
OK, now I see how your wiring is. I am not familiar with the separate wire for the brakes only.

It has not been my preference, but I have thought about the add-on bulb too. I would like to know how well it displays with the brake light bulb illuminated in the same compartment.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
OK, now I see how your wiring is. I am not familiar with the separate wire for the brakes only.

It has not been my preference, but I have thought about the add-on bulb too. I would like to know how well it displays with the brake light bulb illuminated in the same compartment.
Scotty, I am going to take a look at several LED lights that can be surface mounted just below the existing tail lights on the truck. If I can find something that looks nice, I may just wire up those for running lights/turn signals instead of the add-a-bulb.

My Black Widow loading ramps came today. I will be doing a thread with pics of the final set up when I get done. New problem will be where to store the two ramps after the golf car is in the truck

Tags
tow, towing