Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:23 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
I'll be interested to hear your review of the ramps. I will be in the market in the future.

Just a thought here about the brake lights and an alternative. The OEM wiring harness splits underneath the truck at the back and there are two sets of wires going to each tail light for the upper and lower brake/turn bulbs. Could you plug the RV's wiring into the upper or lower bulb and not re-plug the truck's to that one, and let the truck use the other for it's brake/turn. Say if you used the bottom for the RV, the result would be the bottom lamp would flash the RV's turn signal and the top would burn solid. Then when not hooked up, only the top bulb would work and the bottom would do nothing.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #44
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
My Black Widow loading ramps came today. I will be doing a thread with pics of the final set up when I get done. New problem will be where to store the two ramps after the golf car is in the truck
How long are they?
Not sure of the weight capacity of the ramps, but maybe you could put some luggage racks on the golf cart to carry them while in transit.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The Blue Ox baseplate also attaches where the tow hooks are but you have to remove the bumper.

From my coach I have the following wires run to the toad:

1. White ground
2. Brown running/tail lights
3. Green right turn
4. Yellow left turn
5. Red brake light (only one wire)

Now to clarify, I wired the CRV with diodes and only connected the white, brown, green and yellow wires. So I have running lights and right and left turn signals (amber lights on CRV). I actually did not use the separate brake light wire (red) since I get brake lights on the CRV when the AF1 pulls on the brake pedal arm. I had hoped to do same on the F150 but looks like I can't since there are no separate turn signals. So, rethinking all this, it would probably be better (simpler) to just return the Hopkins kit and get one of the add-a-bulb kits. I used one of these on a Ford Focus and it worked fine. At least with the add-a-bulb kit, I will get running and signal lights from the coach and my AF1 can activate the truck brake lights when it pulls on the brake pedal arm. This keeps all the wiring separate from the truck wiring.

I had thought of mounting a couple of nice LED amber lights below the existing tail lights on the truck and using them for turn signals but that is more complicated than the add-a-bulb.
Most of the coaches came with a 5 to 4 wire converter under the rear of the coach so that the green and yellow turn is also the brake lights and your coach does not have one installed. I have also used the add on bulb socket before but after seeing that the Brakemaster when actavated covers up the signal light I had to come up with something else , on the little KIA Soul I was able to use the Amber lights for signal and brake with the 5 to 4 converter and the toad brake lights don't interfear but on the F150 there are no Amber lights and both top and bottom red lights lights up along with the cab light when the brakes are mashed.
One possibility is to remove the truck brake wire from one of the rear brake lights and use that light for the coach brake and signal for that light on the truck,that might be the simplest answer if you have a 5 to 4 converter on the coach.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Guys Crag French and Van Williams were passing through Meridian ms and my Wife and I met them for lunch I was discussing our problem about the brake light covering up our signal light with a toad brake that mashes the brake epically on our pickups (F150) and Craig said why not use a cheap brake tail light LED system from Ebay, brilliant! Craig had the answer to our problems for less than $35
I will post a link, it will say it wont work on our truck but remember we will be plugging the coach lights and they will have to be the 4 wire sys not the 5 wire sys
1x 60" Red LED Truck Tailgate Bar Strip Brake Rear Turn Signal Running Light | eBay
Old 01-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Guys Crag French and Van Williams were passing through Meridian ms and my Wife and I met them for lunch I was discussing our problem about the brake light covering up our signal light with a toad brake that mashes the brake epically on our pickups (F150) and Craig said why not use a cheap brake tail light LED system from Ebay, brilliant! Craig had the answer to our problems for less than $35
I will post a link, it will say it wont work on our truck but remember we will be plugging the coach lights and they will have to be the 4 wire sys not the 5 wire sys
1x 60" Red LED Truck Tailgate Bar Strip Brake Rear Turn Signal Running Light | eBay
I saw a similar (might have been the same system) on a website where I was looking for surface mount LED tail lights. Only problem for me is I will often have the golf car in the truck with tailgate down so not sure where I would mount the strip. I need to look more carefully at the rear of the truck and see if this would work.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Looked at the truck carefully today and have decided to do the following to address the light situation:

I am going to use diodes to wire my running lights from the coach to the truck tail lights. I am going to pull the RT/LT wires to two small amber LED surface mount lights that I will mount just below the truck tail lights.

So, when I am not towing my truck tail lights will work as designed. When I am hooked to the coach, my truck running lights will work normally, my truck brake lights will come on when the AF1 pulls on the brake pedal, and the two amber LED's will display turns.

Hope it works as planned.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Looked at the truck carefully today and have decided to do the following to address the light situation:

I am going to use diodes to wire my running lights from the coach to the truck tail lights. I am going to pull the RT/LT wires to two small amber LED surface mount lights that I will mount just below the truck tail lights.

So, when I am not towing my truck tail lights will work as designed. When I am hooked to the coach, my truck running lights will work normally, my truck brake lights will come on when the AF1 pulls on the brake pedal, and the two amber LED's will display turns.

Hope it works as planned.
Take pictures. You are ahead of me and I have to go out of town this weekend.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Take pictures. You are ahead of me and I have to go out of town this weekend.
Scotty, I will take pics. However, it will be next week before I get started I am sure. I still need to get the amber LED lights.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:15 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Finally got everything done to tow the F150. I finished installing the Hopkins wiring kit yesterday. It is definitely plug and play. The only difficulty was one of the connectors on each side of the truck was very very tight and difficult to get squeezed together. The electrical grease supplied with the kit came in handy, but still difficult. I ran the wire up front to a 6 pole connector. I am using a 7 pole to 6 pole pigtail from the coach to the truck. There is not much of a place to mount the bracket for it on the front of the 2014 F150, so I used some loom and electric tape to make it pretty durable. It will tuck in behind the bumper and lower cowling when not being used.

Finished today by installing the break-away switch. The cable feeds through the firewall and plugs into the RVI Brake 2. I tested it and it does activate the brake controller when the pin is pulled.

We took the rig out for a little "Test and Tune" drive today. Still learning about how to drive it and use the Jake brakes. I am really impressed by the torque of the ISM, pulling the same hills as I have towed our previous 5th wheel toy hauler. It barely gears down, even towing the F150.

Just curious how people handle their accessories, like breakaway cables and wiring, when you disconnect. Do you remove everything and put it in a tub or do you wrap it around the tow bar and bungee it together?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3007.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	942.4 KB
ID:	83587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3010.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	749.1 KB
ID:	83588  

Old 01-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #52
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Finally got everything done to tow the F150. I finished installing the Hopkins wiring kit yesterday. It is definitely plug and play. The only difficulty was one of the connectors on each side of the truck was very very tight and difficult to get squeezed together. The electrical grease supplied with the kit came in handy, but still difficult. I ran the wire up front to a 6 pole connector. I am using a 7 pole to 6 pole pigtail from the coach to the truck. There is not much of a place to mount the bracket for it on the front of the 2014 F150, so I used some loom and electric tape to make it pretty durable. It will tuck in behind the bumper and lower cowling when not being used.

Finished today by installing the break-away switch. The cable feeds through the firewall and plugs into the RVI Brake 2. I tested it and it does activate the brake controller when the pin is pulled.

We took the rig out for a little "Test and Tune" drive today. Still learning about how to drive it and use the Jake brakes. I am really impressed by the torque of the ISM, pulling the same hills as I have towed our previous 5th wheel toy hauler. It barely gears down, even towing the F150.

Just curious how people handle their accessories, like breakaway cables and wiring, when you disconnect. Do you remove everything and put it in a tub or do you wrap it around the tow bar and bungee it together?
Scotty,

I have all my cables loosely attached through large zip ties and they stay with the tow bar when unhooked.
If the tow bar stays on the coach, I put on the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	83589  
Old 01-18-2015, 06:40 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I remove everything and put it in the rv back left compartment.

Then I put the rubber caps on the air fittings to keep them clean.

Sure hope that helps!
Bob
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Scotty, good job. I installed my base plate yesterday and will finish up the Air Force One tomorrow. I sent the plug and play wiring kit back to Etrailer and have decided to use some exterior mounted lights. Got the lights but have not fashioned a way to mount them yet. With the golf car in the truck (with a cover on it), I plan to mount the lights on the tailgate.

Did you do the brake light relay or other workaround for the brake lights covering the turn signals?

I'll post some pics when I am finally done.

Oh, my cables, etc. are left connected and wrapped around the tow bar. I cover the whole deal when I fold it up against the coach.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:19 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
All of my connectors and cables are left on the the tow bar and covered with the tow bar cover.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Scotty, good job. I installed my base plate yesterday and will finish up the Air Force One tomorrow. I sent the plug and play wiring kit back to Etrailer and have decided to use some exterior mounted lights. Got the lights but have not fashioned a way to mount them yet. With the golf car in the truck (with a cover on it), I plan to mount the lights on the tailgate.

Did you do the brake light relay or other workaround for the brake lights covering the turn signals?

I'll post some pics when I am finally done.

Oh, my cables, etc. are left connected and wrapped around the tow bar. I cover the whole deal when I fold it up against the coach.
That's a good deal. The Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 has a channel for the wiring so it is fixed in place permanently. The two cables have a quick link attachment to the base plates, and the coil cable for the break-away switch are the ones I am most concerned about. Sounds like wrapping them around the tow bar and covering is the preferred route. I will explore that option and maybe add some bungee cords to the mix.

smlranger, I have resolved to take the truck to the dealer and have them install the brake relay. I just don't feel comfortable trying to crawl up under there and splice into the wiring. It was all I wanted just drilling a hole through the firewall for the cable from the break-away switch. I will report back about the process.

Tags
tow, towing