Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #1

Towing focus....need help

My hubby and I have a class A.we want to tow our 2015 focus. Using a blue ox tow bar and patriot brake system. The ford book says we need to disconnect the neg battery cable. If we do, plugging the patriot into the 12v outlet won't work because now we don't have power. I'm so 😕 confused, help?
Babsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 07:38 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

You could install a battery post disconnect switch and wire a power outlet around the disconnect switch. You can't just run a ground jumper to the power outlet, it would provide a new ground path for everything.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Don't worry, your Focus can handle four down towing and the brake system you have selected. If you are going to do the install yourself there is lots of info already on this site specific to the Focus and battery disconnecting. Just run some searches and start reading. If you hire a good installer for your baseplate he should be able to do all the wiring and battery disconnect switch too.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #4

What you need is a 12 volt battery direct plug. Hooked to battery and plug, like a cig. lighter is in veh. This allows you to disconnect neg bat cable while still having power to toad interior.
As an example go to RVI2 Brake System web site and look up 12 Volt Battery Direct Kit. This is an example of what you need. I have on on our Subi, works perfectly.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #5

Focus towing priblem solved

I have the 2015 focus with the power problem when towing. Problm solved....the wiring harness from the mojo to the car will provide power for the taillights and brakes. I have to put in a disconnect switch on the neg battery lead to cut the power to the car. Will also be installing a separate power port wired directly to the battery so it will be hot all the time. I just plug the Patriot in and I'm ready to roll.
Thanks everyone for your advice and input.
Babsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsr View Post
I have the 2015 focus with the power problem when towing. Problm solved....the wiring harness from the mojo to the car will provide power for the taillights and brakes. I have to put in a disconnect switch on the neg battery lead to cut the power to the car. Will also be installing a separate power port wired directly to the battery so it will be hot all the time. I just plug the Patriot in and I'm ready to roll.
Thanks everyone for your advice and input.
You'll find good information here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2016-...ng-275177.html

You also may want to look at this video:
https://youtu.be/uyw8c3GN9vY

Tags
need help, tow, towing