Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Towing Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD (REMCO)

Currently have a 2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, 2WD (not 4WD), V6 engine, automatic, etc..

Would like to tow this vehicle 4-wheels down behind an 04 Journey MH. I do know it's not recommended without modifications. I'm told by a reputable truck/MH shop that using a REMCO drive shaft disconnect product, think now made by Southwest Driveline in Yuma, AZ, this is the way to go with no problem towing.

Talked to my Ford dealer service manager about this and says the truck is not rated for towing and it's a bad idea but he has seen these come in for service with no apparent problems.

Reading I've been doing somewhat discourages this but the vendor says no problems with this product and no other major modifications are needed and it's done all the time for years. Claims continue that no tranny pump is needed since the tranny doesn't turn. Rear end lubes with rear wheels turning using splash oil on the gears.

My question is I would like to hear from others that have either the 2010 Ford Sport Trac or similar year and what their experience has been with this product.

2004 Winnebago Journey 36G
2009 Honda CRV
rvtimemachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Southwest Driveline is a Remco Drive Shaft Connect dealer. Remco itself is an Iowa company.

I don't have an info on your Sport Trac, but I know people who use the Remco DSC on Mustangs and 2WD drive pick-ups (Toyota Tacoma, for example) and all seem satisfied. It is crucial to have it properly measured and installed, though. It involves shortening the existing driveshaft as well as fitting the DSC itself, so you want a real driveline pro to do it.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Gary for the information and clarification of who's who. I'm going to contact Remco in IA and ask them for references of actual users of this model Ford just for my own piece of mind.
2004 Winnebago Journey 36G
2009 Honda CRV
rvtimemachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
You have to understand the way it works. It is a sliding splined coupler that "functionally disconnects" the driveshaft from the rearend. It allows the rearend to turn, but the driveshaft does not. Engage the slider and the driveshaft functions as original. Disengage the sliding coupler and the driveshaft is not functionally connected to the rearend.

So your dealer is mixed up on how it works. The driveshaft, if turning would cause potential damage to the auto trans. But the Remco disconnect stops this from occurring. I agree with the Remco site, that is why the driveshaft disconnect was created, to allow towing a vehicle that is not normally able to tow with the driveshaft turning.

Practically, the disconnect is like removing the driveshaft at the rearend yoke. Except you do not have to physically remove the driveshaft, you just slide the couple so it is disengaged from being able to transmit the rotation.
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
I've pulled a expedition for 40,000 miles no problems with the disconnect
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote

ford, tow, towing