Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
towing ford f150 4wd AGAIN!

I have read most threads on this site and still want to ask this question.
I have a 2003 f150 lariat. Auto trans, shift on the fly 4wd. No neutral position on the dash switch. 2H 4h and 4L I have installed a rear driveline disconnect to tow with a dolly. Dolly is not for me. I contacted 3 different driveline manufactures, Remco, Drive shaft king, and southwest drive line. They all said, disconnect rear drive line, put in park, and 2H. leave the key on to free steering wheel, and are good to go. I also contacted Ford Mtr Co and of course they said NO. But also explained that they will say that because I have to modify the rear drive line. Would not answer any questions about possible damage to transfer case.
Is anyone towing a vehicle similar to my year, 4 wheels down?

jmr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
The transfer case would likely be fine because it has a pump. However, the issue occurs with the transmission. Since there is no transfer case neutral position, the transmission output shaft would always be spinning. This will cause damage to the transmission. Because of this, the rear drive shaft will need to be disconnected some how.

Now some of the transfer cases do have a neutral position. If the shift motor was removed, you may see a position that indicates neutral. If you do, this can be rotated by hand with some pliers. This may work but I have no idea if it will stay in that position or if it would work correctly. Have not tried it myself.

jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Ok since no one else has replied with actual experiences let's take a different approach. You say you have installed a disconnect on the rear drive shaft, so that part is taken care of. Now to the front. Find a slight hill and park the vehicle at the top. With an assistant's help set the vehicle up as instructed by Remco. Have the assistant allow the vehicle to coast SLOWLY down the hill while you walk beside and observe the front drive shaft. If it is NOT turning while rolling then nothing is moving in the transmission and transfer case. Your good to go. If the front shaft turns then you have a problem and need to talk to a GOOD FORD TRANSMISSION mechanic to see if the shaft turning is any type of a problem. My thinking is, if it does turn it is disengaged from the rest of the transfer case internal gears and will not cause any problems.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
I re-read your post and I think I may have misunderstood originally. There are a few what if's with this case. If the rear drive shaft is disconnected, transmission is in park, and the transfer case in in 2WD, there should be enough splash lubrication for the transfer case if the front drive shaft does spin some. This truck has the front half shafts spinning all the time. The differential is engaged by vacuum actuator on the front differential. This actuator moves a collar to engage the right shaft for 4x4 operation. The front drive shaft may spin some from parasitic drag but how much is a what if. I think it could work as long as the front drive shaft does not spin to much. I just don't have an idea on how many components would get proper splash lubrication in the transfer case. The reason for the pump is to lube some of the inner planetaries and bearings within the transfer case that does not receive splash lube.

If you don't plan on using 4x4 for some time, remove the front drive shaft. If you have an electric impact gun, remove the front drive shaft at the differential and hang it up. You will need a 12MM 12 point socket.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I have pulled my 2008 F150 many miles with the rear shaft disconnected, transfer in 2H, transmission in park and a dummy key to unlock the steering wheel. The front drive shaft will turn but not a problem. Have had the battery go down on long trips requiring a jump to get the truck started.
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote

ford, towing