RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #1

Towing Ford Fiesta

Hi Everyone... last year was our first year traveling in our motorhome. We decided not to tow a vehicle until we had a better ideal of how much we really needed one. Well one month into our travels we both decided that we would be towing a vehicle on our next trip.
We have a Ford Fiesta as our tow vehicle. We purchased the Patriot 3 baking system which requires a constant 12 volt supply to operate. The problem is that the Ford manual states that the key must be off and the negative battery cable must be disconnected when towing.
Of course this results in no power to the 12 volt recepticle in the Fiesta. Anybody out there towing a Fiesta ? If so how did you solve the problem. When I called the shop that installed the base plate they told me that some people use a battery pack and wire a seperate 12 volt recepticle to it.

strandedimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #2

Or use a 12V Line from MH via trailer connection and umbilical cord

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #3

I am considering a 2018 Fiesta and have to disconnect the negative battery cable. I have a Patriot portable brake system to use which requires 12 volt power. My thought is to use a separate power via jump battery or wire a new 12 volt outlet to the battery. Running 12 volts from the RV should be for charging the toad battery. If you use it for a 12 volt source for the brake system the brake system will be rendered useless should the toad disconnect from the RV, precisely when you would meet it. A call to etrailer.com would be the ticket here.
Sarz272000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towed a 2016 Fiesta for two years with no issues. I placed a knife blade switch on the negative battery post which I opened once the transmission was setup for towing. I installed a 12VDC plug on the wall just in front of the drivers door for the Pariot brake unit. I ran a wire from the positive and negative battery post to supply the plug. There should be a rubber plug which can be removed to run the wires through just behind the battery.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:00 PM   #5

Stang37
Thanks for your input.

* What did you use for the brake and turn signal lights?
* What base plate did you use? I noticed Blue Ox has more cuts and drilling than the RoadMaster.

We drove a Fiesta today. That will be a great toad for us. With a $3000 rebate we are leaning toward buying a 2019. I like the low weight. RV will not know it is there!

Ron
Sarz272000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used all Blue Ox items. Their instructions are very good if you plan on installing your self. I installed the BX 2622 base plate it will require the removal of the front fenders which will include the front grill. (2016 model) I believe you remove maybe 6 bolts and it will slide forward. You have to cut for the tow bar hookup points to extend thru the grill. The toad lighting package was BX 8869. You do have to drill a hole to install a bulb in each tail light. Braking I used the Patriot unit.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:59 AM   #7

I power the Brake Buddy in my PT Cruiser with one of those portable jump start units. Mine has a 12V cigarette lighter socket to power the Brake Buddy, and it also saved me recently when I accidentally left the headlights on in the toad. The unit is able to power the Brake Buddy for several days without recharging. Every two or three days of driving I bring it into the coach and recharge it overnight. Works like a charm.

Here's the one I have. It was $100 at O'Reilly's. I just set it in the front passenger footwell of the toad and plug the BB into it.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../55002/4742357
Old 09-27-2019, 05:19 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We used a permanently installed braking system that required power when towing. We powered it with a knife switch disconnect and wired it directly to the vehicle battery on out Ford Focus which had the same drive train as your Fiesta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9FD0EBBA-938B-47F8-8668-762838C1B388.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	261592  

Tags
ford, tow, towing