Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
towing ford taurus

I was reading the other day that a ford taurus a/w f/w drive could be towed 4 wheel down. I have an 04 taurus but it can't be towed 4 down. But it stated from 2007 and up a/w drive could be towed aith automatic. does anyone tow a taurus and if so any negative comments? this size car I can get in and out of comfortable.

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom41 View Post
I was reading the other day that a ford taurus a/w f/w drive could be towed 4 wheel down. I have an 04 taurus but it can't be towed 4 down. But it stated from 2007 and up a/w drive could be towed aith automatic. does anyone tow a taurus and if so any negative comments? this size car I can get in and out of comfortable.
I have a 2010 Taurus All Wheel Drive that we have towed for 2 yrs. & 10,000+ miles with no problem.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
thanks Dennis, that is what I wanted to know. thanks again
Old 09-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
thanks Dennis, that is what I wanted to know. thanks again
No problem,
It says in the owners manual to have the key on ACC. Mine has the push button start and when it is on ACC it only stays on for a few minutes and shuts off. Came to realise that the only reason it needs power is to record mileage. So, now I don't bother with the ACC and we don't put so many miles on the Taurus.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Dennis, I bought a 2008 ford taurus f/w SEL today from the ford dealer here in middle Tn., It can be towed 4 wheel down. I traded my 2004 taurus in. A nice looking car with 54000 miles one owner. If you don't mind me asking , which tow plates did you get and where do they come out in front? What did you do about turn & stop signals? thanks for any help
Old 09-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Dennis, I bought a 2008 ford taurus f/w SEL today from the ford dealer here in middle Tn., It can be towed 4 wheel down. I traded my 2004 taurus in. A nice looking car with 54000 miles one owner. If you don't mind me asking , which tow plates did you get and where do they come out in front? What did you do about turn & stop signals? thanks for any help
I bought the base plate from Blue Ox. Need to remove the entire front clip of the car but it is not a big job. I did it myself and it took about 5 hours. Blue Ox instructions were awesome. I purchased the plate from Hitchsource in OR on the internet. They were very good to deal with and the price was competative.
I will get you some pics of the install. Very discreet I must say.
As far as the lights, I installed the female plug on the base plate (blue ox has provision to mount the plug here) and then ran a 4 wire cable under the body into the trunk for the stop/tail lights. I did not want to cut into the OEM harness as this could cause trouble according to the Ford people. I use the magnetic lights on the trunk lid but I see Blue Ox is now selling an LED light kit for about $100 that use a very small dia. bulb/socket assembly (9/16" dia.) that can be mounted into the OEM taillight housing. I am thinking of going this route as the magnetic bases are causing paint issues on my trunk.
Hope this helps,
Old 09-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Here is some info on the Blue Ox Base Plate. As you can see the base plate is pretty well hidden when not in use.

Blue Ox Towing Products
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BX2607.pdf (979.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 12-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #8

I have towed a 2011 Ford Taurus for the past year. I have only one problem with my setup. Though I have a charge wire running to the battery from the coach, I still end up with a dead battery after several hours of towing. The charge is accomplished by utilizing the 7th pin in the electric cord. I have Air Force 1 for my braking system.

Before leaving IL I had everything looked at and I was told that it was working properly. I dealt with a weak or dead TOAD battery all the way down to Naples. After reaching here I took the TOAD in to have it looked at by a different shop. They too tell me that everything is working properly. The only suggestion they made is that I not tow in the ACC position but rather put the car in neutral and place the key in the off position. Does anybody have any thoughts as to any negatives to this advice? I am asking because the owner's Manual clearly states that the vehicle key be put in the ACC position for recreational towing. By the way, all these miles that I have towed with the key in the ACC position, do not register on the odometer.
I don't know a lot about this but my thought is that as long as the steering wheel is not locked and the transmission is in neutral, how could I be hurting anything? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Tags
ford, towing