Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing GMC pickup

I just purchased a 2004 Pace Arrow with a WH W-22. I would like to tow my 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 short bed regular cab pickup (auto, 2 wheel drive). From reading here I will need a drive shaft disconnect and some type of braking system. My local RV guy sells Blue OX and Demco, he likes the Demco. He quoted me $18-$1900 for tow bar, (Demco Aluminator), baseplate, wiring, safty cables and storage bag (installed) plus price of drop down receiver. Then I have to get brake system and drive shaft disconnect and labor on these two items. He will be $4,000 to $4,500 or more total plus tax! I think Camping World is about the same. I had not planned on this much cost to do the job. First, can I tow this truck without any problems and how much of the work can I do myself? Does the base plate bolt on or weld? What type of brake set up? I would probably have the drive shaft disconnect installed. Blue Ox or Demco? I have a friend with a lift so this will help. I have not had a MH or towed since a 1972 Winnebago and Toyota Truck!! Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Is your MH towing capacity sufficient to tow your truck? The truck may be too heavy for the MH.

The Aluminator is a good tow bar, but it's Demco's lightest tow bar. I recommend a heavier model. Demco makes a good product, but I'm partial to Blue Ox for their quality and service.

Most, if not all baseplates bolt on.

The truck will tow fine once the driveshaft disconnect is installed.

Look through this forum for several threads on supplemental braking systems. They're all good and it's just a matter of preference.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
MH can 5000lbs, truck is a little over 4000. That tow bar is 6500 lbs. Thanks
Old 12-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pete & Linda,

Sorry for the late response, but I think it is needed.

Are you SURE your truck is only 'a little over 4000 lbs'? Have you actually weighed it?

I have a 2009 GMC Canyon (a bit smaller than your truck) that weighs 4300 lbs (and yes, I have actually weighed it). Granted, mine is a crew cab short box, I still believe it should weigh less than yours.

If you haven't already done so, find a place to weigh your truck and confirm the weight. I have an SMI Stay-In-Play Duo Braking System i installed myself on my truck that works very well.

Happy travels,

Lane
Old 12-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Photo001, I have not weighed my truck but I will. I think I will go with the same brake system you are using. I think the book has about 4300 lbs for my truck.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #6

Cool

I Thought GM auto trans of that year could be towed by putting the trans in neutral and they would tow all day long with no problems. A driveshaft disconnect is not necessary
Old 12-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stretch, I don't know, the book has absolutely nothing about towing. How could I find out? That would be great!
Old 12-15-2009, 01:20 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I am 99.9% sure the truck has to be a 4WD that is put into neutral. I will do some checking for you....
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
You can NOT tow a 2WD. You can check on page 4-45 of a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado Owners Manual ( find it here) to see that a 2WD is not towable ....

I'm sorry.....
Old 12-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
I just purchased a 2004 Pace Arrow with a WH W-22. I would like to tow my 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 short bed regular cab pickup (auto, 2 wheel drive). From reading here I will need a drive shaft disconnect and some type of braking system. My local RV guy sells Blue OX and Demco, he likes the Demco. He quoted me $18-$1900 for tow bar, (Demco Aluminator), baseplate, wiring, safty cables and storage bag (installed) plus price of drop down receiver. Then I have to get brake system and drive shaft disconnect and labor on these two items. He will be $4,000 to $4,500 or more total plus tax! I think Camping World is about the same. I had not planned on this much cost to do the job. First, can I tow this truck without any problems and how much of the work can I do myself? Does the base plate bolt on or weld? What type of brake set up? I would probably have the drive shaft disconnect installed. Blue Ox or Demco? I have a friend with a lift so this will help. I have not had a MH or towed since a 1972 Winnebago and Toyota Truck!! Thanks in advance.
Pete,
I have used Blue OX for many years and currently tow an 09 Wrangler 4 door. I installed the base plate which was not hard, (base plate $345) and (Blue OX Aventa tow bar $500). I also purchased and installed the US Gear Unified Tow Brake system ($700).

http://www.adventurerv.net/blue-baseplate-p-5291.html

http://www.usgear.com/
Old 12-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Your 2001 GM owner manual should have a section titled Recreational Towing that covers towing behind a motorhome. GM has been including that topic in their owner manuals for a number of years now. My 2002 had it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Why not go with a tow dolly? I have a 2003 Ford4x4 and tow it backward with a elec. brake tow dolly. I bought the dolly off of Craigs list for 750 which I thought was a bargin. I was droping the driveshaft and towing it forward and got tired of that since it's not necessary. I don't want to start a debate on that. It works form me and that's all that matters. Just make sure you have good or new shocks on the front.