Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #1

Towing Grand Cherokee 4WD

We plan a 2-3 month trip so we are rethinking purchasing all the tow equipment necessary. A tow dolly might be a more economical idea but now our manual says you can't tow the Jeep that way.

Anybody have any more information on this? Other suggestions?

I guess what we don't want to do is permanent changes to the Jeep for this one trip in order to install the brake system in the Jeep.

BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It is a pretty big investment for only one trip. I can't help with the Jeep/tow dolly question. I towed my GC four down. Many/most toad brake systems don't actually make any changes to the toad but rather sit on the floorboard and activate the brake via a snap on arm.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
If your GC has Quadra-Trac II, then it would be easier to tow 4 down and invest in the baseplate, tow bar, lights and braking.

I used a tow dolly for 10 years and towing 4 down with a GC over the last two years has been much happier!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
First, you cannot tow a four wheel drive jeep using a front wheel dolly. All four wheels must be lifted off the ground, using a dolly for the rear wheels as well, in order to tow a (disabled) Jeep. Second, any four wheel drive Jeep can be "flat towed", that is, with all four wheels on the ground. Transmission is in "Park" and Transfer case is in "Neutral". On the newer Grand Cherokees you can remove the key and lock the doors for added security without impacting the tow process - a nice feature? Also, the odometer does not move on the newer Jeeps while being towed. An added benefit to Jeeps is that no matter which tow setup you decide on (we prefer Roadmaster), you will almost certainly be almost "even" across the whole set up, meaning that the attachment point on your Jeep will be almost level with the receiver on your Motorhome, minimizing stress and providing for less chance of binding etc.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
The base transfer case (AWD) in the GC is not flat towable. It has to be the real 4WD, then it's easy. You need a neutral in the transfer case!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Of course, you are correct. I figured if I mentioned the fact that the transfer case has to be in "neutral" that would pretty much take care of that issue? I forgot that there are some GC's out there with that "all wheel drive" setup - they were mainly fleet vehicles and you don't see many unless they're being driven by liquor, beer, or pharmaceutical sales reps.!?? Good point though, thanks.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
For one trip with the Jeep. Put it on a rented trailer and tow it. But that would be very inconvenient for three months of travel.

Or, buy used tow bar and base plates and have them installed and buy a used Brake Buddy for the braking system.

The Brake Buddy could be sold at the end of the trip recovering some or all of its cost. The base plates could be removed and sold as could the tow bar.

You would be out at minimum the cost of installation of the tow brackets and the Toad wiring.

Do be sure that your JGC can be towed four down. Not all can be.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
For one trip with the Jeep. Put it on a rented trailer and tow it. But that would be very inconvenient for three months of travel.

Or, buy used tow bar and base plates and have them installed and buy a used Brake Buddy for the braking system.

The Brake Buddy could be sold at the end of the trip recovering some or all of its cost. The base plates could be removed and sold as could the tow bar.

You would be out at minimum the cost of installation of the tow brackets and the Toad wiring.

Do be sure that your JGC can be towed four down. Not all can be.
Yes, thanks, we checked that out. That's what we need to do I guess. Does the brake buddy have to be installed in the car? Holes in the floor? I don't know how they work.
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
The brake Buddy itself just rests on the floor of the car, attaches to the brake pedal, is plugged to the cigarette lighter, and is pressurized by the electric.

It must be removed to drive the car. No holes.

The only wiring is from the breakaway switch mounted at the front bumper area and wires run through existing holes in the firewall to ultimately attach to the Break Buddy connection ports. The wires can lay under your floor mat when not in use.

I have to admit that on two occasions when the Brake Buddy failed in the past nine years, I actually drove my rig and car home crossing the Siskiyou, the Rockies, and the Sierra mountain ranges with no toad braking, and had no problems. The BB was sent to the manufacturer for repair from where ever it broke.

I think the biggest benefit of Toad braking is in the event of a disconnect of the Toad from the hitch.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing