Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Towing help!!!

Tow bar vs tow dolly. What is the differences, which is best to pull my jeep liberty behind my class a tiffin allegro. Help, I don't know which...

jabastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My vote would be tow bars as Liberty's are towable 4 down. What yr is your Liberty? The yr will determine what adjustments you have to make to do so.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Tow bar, Blue Ox Aventa & SMI Stay & Play brake system. Just my opinion. Both work well for me. Good luck with your research & decision.
Silver Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Cost of each option might not be much different, but there are more considerations. I opted for a tow bar setup partly because it would be too much trouble to find storage for the dolly at a campsite. I guess the dolly might make sense if your toad could not be towed four down, but your Jeep would probably not be a problem. I can connect and disconnect my toad in about 5 minutes. Might take a little longer to get the dolly connected to the RV and load the toad. My car tows very well and I hardly know its there, but I think most dollys tow well also. If you plan to tow different vehicles, maybe a dolly might save the cost of a bracket kit for the second car.
2007 Dutch Star 4320
2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed
Roadmaster tow
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club

There is so many different opinions on this.I use a tow dolly.I do not have a jeep so I really don't know about that but,I tow a 2012 Hyundai Accent and have never had ant issues.I don't notice its back there.Good Luck with what ever you decide.
Billy & Millie (2013 Allegro 36 LA) USMC VET
2013 Hyundai GT, 08 Harley trike
Mastertow dolly/ Great Doxie- Gracie
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Yes I too have a dolly and tow my Honda Accord but also can tow and 2004 f250 superduty. But keeping attached to the HM in a RV park with a pull thru is not a problem. But a place to store at home is another. And you can get a dolly with brakes and saves so much on those so call buddy brakes things. And some models say you can tow with 4 wheels down..... BUT DON'T TRUST THEM..
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the Jeep 4x4? Then flat towable as is.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Four down is the most popular towing method by far. I have never seen a Jeep on a dolly (unscientific survey). Good reasons for both.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Country Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Is the Jeep 4x4? Then flat towable as is.
Even if the Liberty is not 4x4, it is not towable on a dolly without a driveline disconnect.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Be careful with the Jeep, they made some of them NOT 4 down towable. From what I understand they fixed it and now they are again 4 down towable. Not sure of the makes and years thou.
Look up the Towing Dinghy guide from MotorHome Magazine -- Motorhome Reviews - RV Camping . The new 2013 guide JUST came out. I would download it since they are now charging $1.99 for each guide 2012 and before. The current yrs one is free.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
One thing I have thought about for my next Jeep...and I have not researched this yet. Is to replace the front hubs with the ones you can lock and unlock. This should allow you to tow on a dolly. Should work but need to find out for sure.
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV
TheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #12
Looking at your profile, your tiffin shouldn't have a problem pulling the Jeep Liberty. As some have said, the year is important, I had a 2006 and pulled it 4 down behind my motorhome for a number of years.
Only the newer Liberties that are not 4 wheel drive probably are not towable 4 down. I purchased the needed equipment from etrailer.com (St Louis) and was very happy with their service.
I installed the tow equipment myself, they even have video's showing how to do it on their website for a jeep liberty. Here's a link to the video.

Roadmaster Base Plate Installation - 2006 Jeep Liberty Video | etrailer.com

If you look around on their web site you will find everything you need to get your Jeep ready to tow. I also bought a wiring kit from them with the diodes to prevent feedback from the motor home to the jeeps wiring system.

It took me about a day to install the base plates and the wiring system into my liberty, the instructions were spot on, and no drilling was required. If you desire, they might also install the items for you, I don't know you'll have to call them.

When I switched to my current toad, Dodge Ram I again purchased the base plates and wiring harness from etrailer.com. They ship fast and are really great people to deal with IMO.
Hope this helps
MGySgt USMC(R) 1961-1991
2001 Fleetwood Expedition
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sierra Toad
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
Forest River Owners Club
By far, the easiest method is towing four-wheels-down. Otherwise you have to find a place to store the dolly, and although not heavy, pushing one around is not easy. We pull a 2005 Liberty 4x4 behind our Winnebago Adventurer using a RoadMaster tow bar which is stored on the vehicle when disconnected. Takes about 10 minutes to hook up or disconnect. Liberty does not need any setup other than shifting the transaxle into neutral. It is light enough to tow easy. We also use the RVI-Brake. This setup is about as good as it gets.

Chillbilly - Maryville, TN - Forest River Rockwood 5th Wheel - Ford F250 - Semper-Fi
Chillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote