Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing Honda Fit

I recently purchased a Haonda Fit to to w behind my Class C Itasca Navion. The instructions for towing the Honda are that the key should be in the accessory position before towing. Well when I do that the dashboard lights are all on and I was wondering if itwould wear down my battery by leaving all those lights on for say 4 hours of towing at a stretch. Why cant I just leave it in neutral? It is a five speed BTW.
Thanks!
Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #2

the key at II position (not aux position) is to unlock the steering wheel. the battery drain is an issue i heard other people pulling out the fuse but i installed a wire to feed the fit battery from rv so never need to worry about it.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #3

I too tow in the 2 position. The only time I ran down my battery was a 5 day trip to South Texas where the towed Honda was never run except to run through the gears prior to towing for the day.

Mike
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #4

We towed our 2012 Fit back and forth to Florida from New York. 7 hour days with no significant battery drain. Make sure to follow the instructions in the manual. The kwy is in the position where the steering is unlocked and no lights on the dash. Turn off the radio. Transmission in neutral.
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
tompen has given you the correct info. when towing a M/T Honda Fit.
We also have a 2012 Fit with M/T. If you are seeing the dash lights come on, then you are turning the key to the wrong position. Make sure the radio is turned off, but you should see the background light for the radio displayed and the clock will show. Just first position to loosen steering, put transmission in neutral (make sure emergency brake is released after hookup) and go. One of the reasons we purchased the Fit with M/T was because of the simplicity of getting it ready for towing each time.
We pull no fuses, or have any switches for doing the same, and have never had an issue with low voltage after getting somewhere.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #6

Just for any others looking at this post, our Fit is an automatic transmission and works great. Again, follow the manual and you can tow all day without problems.
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfischer View Post
tompen has given you the correct info. when towing a M/T Honda Fit.
We also have a 2012 Fit with M/T. If you are seeing the dash lights come on, then you are turning the key to the wrong position. Make sure the radio is turned off, but you should see the background light for the radio displayed and the clock will show. Just first position to loosen steering, put transmission in neutral (make sure emergency brake is released after hookup) and go. One of the reasons we purchased the Fit with M/T was because of the simplicity of getting it ready for towing each time.
We pull no fuses, or have any switches for doing the same, and have never had an issue with low voltage after getting somewhere.
That is very reassuring. So I don't have to worry about a dead battery after say a 300 mile tow? I am puzzled why people say that they do have dead batteries upon arriving at their destination when the towed vehicles power consumption is off.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We've towed longer than 300 miles many times without problem. Our Fit does not have a navigation system, so that could be one reason, or they might be using a supplemental braking system which is using battery power from the tow vehicle's battery.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfischer View Post
We've towed longer than 300 miles many times without problem. Our Fit does not have a navigation system, so that could be one reason, or they might be using a supplemental braking system which is using battery power from the tow vehicle's battery.
Very interesting point sfischer. I never thought of that. I mean, what else could possibly drain the toads battery down? So that does make sense. Scary thing is, I do plan on using a supplemental braking system so perhaps I should look into a way of keeping the toads battery charged.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The easiest way to hook up a charging system is use the Toad Charge kit. It has all of the necessary wires, circuit breakers, and charge regulator that you need to do it right. Check your 7 way plug on the MH, it might already have a 12V charge pin. You can pick on of the pins on your toad 6 way plug to power the other end of things. If you don't have a 6 way, you can easily add it to the toad.

I used the Toad Charge when I realized that my Fit's battery was basically the size of a motorcycle battery. The Toad Charge works as advertised.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #11

using power from 7-pole socket on your rv is always recommended. the assignment of connectors is standard, the live 12v power is at 5'clock position (not in center). there is a 7-wire cable from cw for $50, which brings all signals/power/ground to toad. easy to do and worry free, worth it. i am not using a regulator but using two 8a fuses for the power wire.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I looked at the pins on my motor home and I see that I have the flat type. That is to say, three female holes and one male pin. What do I need to do now? Will the Toad Charge work with this set up? I am in the process of ordering all of the components that I need to tow the Fit and I don't want to miss anything. A charging system for the toad seems like a smart idea.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #13

I believe with the flat four you will have to run the wires either from the house battery or the chassis battery which is preferred. It is very easy to do, just be careful where you run the wires. On my C there were a bunch wires bundled on top of the frame rails. I just used the zip ties included to attach the Toad Charge wires.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #14

as bearaboo said, you would need to run a separate wire for power. the wire size needs to be 12g or 10g, make sure on each end connect an inline fuse or breaker to protect batteries. this is a serious job, very important. without two fuses/breakers you are risking not only damaging batteries but also causing fire.

Tags
towing