Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Towing hookup for a 2005 Jeep wrangler Unlimited

We just picked up our first new to us MH/2003 Country Coach Allure and are going to be towing a 2005 Jeep Unlimitied.
I need some information on towing equipment, and Toad tire watch. Something we can install ourselves. Looking at Blue-OX? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #2

Lightbulb This not a DIY type of thing.

First, there's a heck of a lot more to wiring up the lights, hitch and breaks than you may think. Let a 'Pro' do the work.

Please!

fae

Old 06-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
First, there's a heck of a lot more to wiring up the lights, hitch and breaks than you may think. Let a 'Pro' do the work.

Please!

fae
X2. i just had our 2000TJ set up to tow. I had a mechanic who is familiar with towing do everything from mounting the base plates to wiring and battery disconnect. Best 200.00 I have spent. The wiring alone was a pretty big issue as my MH has separate r=turn signal and brake lights and the jeep has combo lights.

If you recently picked up your MH, my guess is you have a lot of stuff to do/fix on it rather than spend the time on the Jeep.

Jake
Old 06-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #4

We had the coach inspected and there were 2 small problems found. I'd just like some information about a quality towing set up. I don't want to hear that I can't do it myself. You don't know my backround.
This is a one owner used coach and had a towing hitch on it before. Maybe I've gone to the wrong site. I asked for help, not a lecture. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #5

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock481
We had the coach inspected and there were 2 small problems found. I'd just like some information about a quality towing set up. I don't want to hear that I can't do it myself. You don't know my backround.
This is a one owner used coach and had a towing hitch on it before. Maybe I've gone to the wrong site. I asked for help, not a lecture. Thanks for the help.
Shamrock481, you have come to the right sight.
The previous posters were simply telling you what they did and offering their opinion. I am looking for a jeep right now and have not decided if I will do it myself or have someone else do it. Time and money will decide once I find the jeep.
Don't despair or get upset, folks are trying to help. There are a couple of threads on the site about Jeeps and I would think those folks may have the advice you are looking for. Search Jeep in the search block and ask your question again or wait for more answers on this thread.
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Seriously it's not a big deal at all. Go to etrailer.com or anywhere else and get one of THESE the wiring diagram is on the page in the link, if your coach has a 7 pin/6 pin connector there are adapters. If your coach has a 3 wire system get a converter and wire it in, directions are on the converter. My Alpine is 3 wire so I wired the Cherokee to use all the available lights. The TJ (Wrangler) is 2 wire so I just wired in the running lights/turn signals from the coach and let the Easy Brake handle the brake lights.

I can tell you from experience that the Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar is a pain to get loose if you're not very level. If you're going to be boondocking get a tow bar that has a better release system. Currie has a good looking base plate that doesn't hang down very far, if you're going to use the Jeep as intended that's important. For my '01 Wrangler I bolted THESE where the stock tow hooks were and use THESE on the tow bar. Very solid but with my lift I need a 6" rise to get the tow bar level but they don't get hung up when I nose into a wall. I used the same mounts on the Cherokee with an aftermarket tow hook system.

For anyone who knows even a little about which way to twist a wrench or how to use a crimper it's a piece of cake.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #7

YES, now that's what I'm talking about. There are so many products out there, what do you buy! My coach is set up for a modular plug in. No hard wire needed if I get the right setup.
Thank You Dave and Ron for your help. I'm a little uptight have a neighbor who's not doing well. Just sold our house in fla and bought a coach. Not too much stress. Just enough. Thanks, John
Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
This was recommended to me for my 2010:

http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_t...ness_kit.shtml

Same company for your year jeep:

http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/tj_t...ness_kit.shtml

Tags
towing